997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Gt3 still lingers -questions .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 10:02 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I could wait and hope it gets sold
The only piece of advice I can give you at this point is never let someone else make the decision for you. I learned this the hard way today. I had my eye on a new truck for the last month and waited 'til today to try and capture the end of year deal but someone beat me to it yesterday. The sooner you make your decision and act on it the better.

BTW, I'm a no vote for the buckets on the street - prefer the sports.

Old 09-27-2009, 10:06 PM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !
I am one of the many people who have moved from a 996TT to a 997 GT3. My 996TT was an X50 that was modded to around 600HP.

Prior to making the switch, I too was filled with all kinds of apprehension revolving around wether I would miss all of the horsepower, torque and exhiliration of being pinned backed in your seats by powerful turbos.

Once I got my GT3, I look at back at my turbo days very fondly, and sometimes miss them, but NEVER regret making the switch. Although this person may exist, I have yet to read the post from the someone who switched from a turbo (996 or 997) to a 997GT3 and regretted it so much, that they switched back. That might tell you something right there.

Best of luck. With the cars you have and want, you can't lose on this decision.

Dan

Old 09-27-2009, 10:25 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by docdan
I am one of the many people who have moved from a 996TT to a 997 GT3. My 996TT was an X50 that was modded to around 600HP.

Prior to making the switch, I too was filled with all kinds of apprehension revolving around wether I would miss all of the horsepower, torque and exhiliration of being pinned backed in your seats by powerful turbos.

Once I got my GT3, I look at back at my turbo days very fondly, and sometimes miss them, but NEVER regret making the switch. Although this person may exist, I have yet to read the post from the someone who switched from a turbo (996 or 997) to a 997GT3 and regretted it so much, that they switched back. That might tell you something right there.

Best of luck. With the cars you have and want, you can't lose on this decision.

Dan
My goal is to have both . This way I never have to look back and miss either .

So it boils down to
the modded PDK plus the cost savings
Vs
The Gt3

Factoring out price .. just looking at the cars for what they are ..
The Gt3 on the street = impractical
The PDK car isn't a Gt3 = fact.

The stalemate involves splitting that hair .. then evaluating cost .
Then arriving at a decision.

I know this . I had a 997S before I bought my Turbo . It was pretty new . Buying the Turbo was the best car move I ever made . I love that car so much that had I allowed the logic and cost savings to deter me I wold have missed out on the greatest car I ever had .

My PDK car will be ready on late in the week (paddles , software) and then I need to think .

If the Gt3 gets sold -that possible.
If my PDK comes back and a little drive has me thinking twice ...I will stay put .

I can't know until Late in the week . Thus I continue to evaualte and re evaluate the choice .

Old 09-27-2009, 11:25 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I dont feel like reading this entire thread so I dont know if this has been said yet or not. -I kid

If your not going to track it then there is not much you are going to get out of GT3 ownership that you do not already get from your 997S. And even if you do track it, you have to be a pretty damn good driver to extract that extra 1/10 that the 997S does not already get you. Example, I was out running 997TT's at the track today in my "slower" 997S..... aannnnddd also getting run down by "slower" 964's with better drivers behind the wheel....

Buuuutttt, if you have the means, its a sexy addition to anyones stable even though turning it into a garage queen would make me cry.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 09-27-2009 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:34 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I guess the test will be when I see my PDK car sitting next to a Gt3 and drive both .
I think sight unseen I just am not ready.
At least that's today . I teeter back and forth .
When I get my car back I am going to have to at least look at one with both cars present .

I'll factor in cost, and practical aspects --after I first get over the initial hurdle of what car really is "the one".

Old 09-28-2009, 05:29 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough

So it boils down to
Vs
The Gt3

The stalemate involves splitting that hair .. then evaluating cost .
Then arriving at a decision.

I know this . I had a 997S before I bought my Turbo . It was pretty new . Buying the Turbo was the best car move I ever made . I love that car so much that had I allowed the logic and cost savings to deter me I wold have missed out on the greatest car I ever had .

My PDK car will be ready on late in the week (paddles , software) and then I need to think .

If the Gt3 gets sold -that possible.
If my PDK comes back and a little drive has me thinking twice ...I will stay put .

I can't know until Late in the week . Thus I continue to evaualte and re evaluate the choice .

I would never consider a GT3 impractical for the street, especially as a second or third car.

Some say that the gt3's benefits over a C2S will not be realized on the street. I couldn't disagree more. I understand that the GT3's real music isn't really evident until 6000, but that's another story. We might as well all buy nothing more than a base Carrera; even that car's potential can not be realized on the street. Why buy or mod a turbo then. I could go on and on of course.

For me even looking at a GT3 gets me excited as would (and will) liting it up. Going to the grocery store in a gt3 has to be more exciting. These are the reasons people buy Cobras and hot Harleys (and I don't mean stock ones), to get the blood boiling.

Enough for now, I need some coffee.

Last edited by 911dev; 09-28-2009 at 06:49 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:02 AM
docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !docdan Is a GOD !

So it boils down to
Vs
The Gt3

Okay, I see now. I should have read this thread more carefully and I would have realized that you're weighing the PDK vs. GT3. Sorry.

That being said, I challenge the statement that the GT3 is impractical on the street (compared to a PDK 997S). As someone else just said, I could see this is if this were your only car. But as long as you have another vehicle, the GT3 would be just fine on the streets.

Another way to look at it is this: In what ways is the GT3 impractical on the street, but the PDK "more practical"? The only example I could think of would be the the lowered GT3 may have some clearance issues that the PDK didn't.

Aside from that everything else is about the same. My adaptive sport seats are VERY comfortable (and luxurious in alcantara) to ride in. Storage room is about the same in both. Unless you're routinely stuck in bumper to bumper traffic, the clutch and manual shouldn't be a detriment. You might be more hesitant to park your GT3 in some places, but honestly, if it were me, I would be treating your PDK with the same level of care and cautiousness as a GT3.

However, the GT3 brings some things to the table the PDK can't:

1. The aura, exclusiveness and romance of driving one Porsche's greatest creations (and last of the GT1 block?)

2. The GT3 will stop depreciating long before the PDK. Any money lost on the front end of this deal (on the PDK) would be made up on the tail end (when you sold the GT3).
I know someone who modded their 997S to a point that it was above and beyond a GT3 in some respects. (same GT3 body look, but better suspension and $100K in mods). In the end, it is being sold for less than a GT3 and has a difficult market.

3. Even though you don't track your cars, you may have a change of heart once the GT3 stirs up your "inner racer" some more.

4. I know you're awaiting the return of your modded PDK to see how that feels and how that impacts your decision. I don't want to be a buzzkill here, but, even if you are satisfied with your car for NOW, it still won't be a GT3. At that point, your PDK may be worth a lot less then it is now, but the 997GT3 shouldn't have dropped the same %. The gap now widens.

I could continue this list for pages. Probably the most compelling thing I could say is this: From reading your posts, you have an itch. An itch that won't go away, an itch that will continue to make your skin crawl until you finally can scratch it, and then you can say "Ahhhh." At last.

Dan

Old 09-28-2009, 08:37 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
Larry, this pretty much sums it up. Can't wait to see pics.

Last edited by motosport3; 09-28-2009 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:14 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Maybe the answer to your question is to unload the M3 and drive the PDK in its place then get the GT3? I think once you see how fun those new paddle shifters are with PDK you'll fall in love with it even more.

Last edited by ntlgnt1; 09-28-2009 at 11:17 AM.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:48 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by docdan
I could continue this list for pages. Probably the most compelling thing I could say is this: From reading your posts, you have an itch. An itch that won't go away, an itch that will continue to make your skin crawl until you finally can scratch it, and then you can say "Ahhhh." At last.

Dan

Dan,

Your post is excellent, particularly the above quote.

You are making an otherwise senseless purchase very reasonable and justifiable.

We should all ask our wives to call (consult) you prior to each of our big car purchase.

Old 09-28-2009, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Dan,

Your post is excellent, particularly the above quote.

You are making an otherwise senseless purchase very reasonable and justifiable.

We should all ask our wives to call (consult) you prior to each of our big car purchase.

Thanks Tim. This type of insight comes from years of me justfying otherwise senseless purchases to my own wife.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:58 PM
Dan you hit the nail on the head . I am going to post a new thread based on having read your post and stepping to the next level.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:18 PM
NewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to allNewSong is a name known to all
I have a 997s, and if it weren't for the fact that I don't know how to use birth control, I'd probably have a GT3.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:46 PM
gomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant futuregomez has a brilliant future
if you don't track it then it's just a badge. On the street and as a daily driver it's a wasted treasure.

Old 09-29-2009, 08:07 AM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
I just traded out of my 2007 GT3 due to its lack of street friendliness - and I like stiff riding sports cars. Frankly you'll tire of front end scraping, the very stiff ride (too bad PASM in that car doesnt have a true street mode!!) for daily use, and for me the wife wouldnt be caught dead in it - wing, exhasut noise, ride quality etc.

It's an awesome machine and I loved my 18 months with it, but the C2S is a better street car.

Just one opinion.