997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The Gt3 still lingers -questions .

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:43 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
The Gt3 still lingers -questions .

I posted this in the Gt3 section but am looking to balance out some thoughts I have on the car . I already know why I like the performance virtues of this car . But can I make it street friendly?

I have never driven the car but one has come available that caught my attention . Often one sees posts in the 997 and 997tt folders where a street car is modified to be track capable. How about the visa versa ? If I buy the Gt3 can I make the track car street versatile?

1) Can this car be a daily driver ?
2) This car has sports bucket seats . With the street Porsches sports adaptives are usually not a negative . Has anyone blended street comforts into the car?
3) Bose is bad enough and this car doesn't even offer it at all . How is the factory system ?
4) I have a stage 4 non power assist clutch in my 700 Turbo . How does a stock Gt3 clutch compare ? (I would not be the only driver) .

So I thought about this car . In informal discussions it was pointed out to me that my modded PDK car has more daily comfort and my Turbo Evt700 has a lot more speed .

I look at the gt3 and it just seems so wonderfully basic and engaging but I'm not a track driver just a guy who looks at this car like its a rare art form and in many ways the last pure Porsche . I just don't know if I would be happier with it or without it . I want to find out.

Just to balance the opinions I will also post this in the gt3 forum .
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by yrralis1; 09-25-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
yrralis1,

I haven't driven or owned the GT3, so obviously you can take my comments for what they are worth. First thought is that you need to drive the car. Nobody can tell you what emotional response you will have to what you have already defined as curiosity based on the car's aesthetics. The logical approach you laid out is totally correct...you already have something faster (at least in a straight line), you already have a better DD.
For me...I am on my 3rd Carrera. I was out of the county for a while...I spent 5 years working every angle I could to justify purchase of a GT3 because that car is exactly what a Porsche should be in my book. I ended up going the more practical route (2005 C2S) and love my car, but I am pretty confident that the GT3 would be even more engaging.
The very fact that you are clearly a Carrera nut...apparently can afford it...and have at least some level of "the itch" tells me you need to go drive that thing. I probably speak for many on this board that you are a lucky SOB to be able to pick one up...

In case I forgot to mention it...drive the damn car!!!

Then come back and let us live vicariously through your 411 about that 911...

muerdeme

Old 09-25-2009, 10:41 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Larry, I have a well modded 997S, and it will never be a GT3. The GT3 is at home on the track, however many people buy them and they never take them to the track (just look at how many state never been tracked) in the ad. I would say that it tells you that these cars are very streetable.

I say you sell the BMW M3 and get the GT3! It would be one awesome garage!

Old 09-25-2009, 11:06 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[QUOTE]["the itch" tells me you need to go drive that thing./QUOTE]

That's the problem . It will be sold before it ever makes it to the showroom . I don't know anyone who has one who I could casually ask to drive his car . Buying it would have to be sight unseen .

Old 09-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Larry, I have a well modded 997S, and it will never be a GT3. The GT3 is at home on the track, however many people buy them and they never take them to the track (just look at how many state never been tracked) in the ad. I would say that it tells you that these cars are very streetable.

I say you sell the BMW M3 and get the GT3! It would be one awesome garage!
I haven't arrived at the :1) how much will it cost ? or 2) which car goes bye bye ? questions yet . I am still in the "why does this linger?" phase and "would I be happier with it or without it ?" along with "would it fit into my lifestyle ?"

the M3 is needed . The Turbo isn't going . So its really modded PDK or Gt3 . Tough choice .

Old 09-25-2009, 11:22 PM
The logical approach you laid out is totally correct...you already have something faster (at least in a straight line), you already have a better DD.
In the gt3 section I have read a few posts but there is a reason that one member wrote ---- it makes no sense yet it makes perfect sense !!!

"The reason I bought the GT3 is because I needed it the way a women needs diamonds"

Old 09-25-2009, 11:55 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
From what I've read, the 'streetability/civility factor' of the GT3.1 carries over to the GT3.2. There are .1's you can drive - likely trade-ins at your dealer (mine always has one or more). Perhaps you can drive it and then mentally juggle the 'yea, it's like that, but better' concept.
From what you've written so far, I'd be surprised if you don't end up with one. It's the only car (well, the .2 RS) that I'd consider trading my cab for.
And GL and keep us posted so (as noted) we can live vicariously through you!

[QUOTE=yrralis1;2555711]
["the itch" tells me you need to go drive that thing./QUOTE]

That's the problem . It will be sold before it ever makes it to the showroom . I don't know anyone who has one who I could casually ask to drive his car . Buying it would have to be sight unseen .

Old 09-26-2009, 12:25 AM
I could wait and hope it gets sold . I could hope a slot opens and build my own . i can wait for the 998 . I just don't know . If I were to spec the car from scratch I woild order it in mexico blue , ceramics, sports adaptives , full leather . This one is red --not my first color choice but the gt3 wears red very well , full leather. sport bucket, ceramics , chrono , and all the gadgets . It doesn't have Bose .

So I have this image of really enjoying how it drives but then turning on the radio and feeling it needs some juice , and climbing in and out of sports buckets which aren't exactly comfortable . So its somewhat mixed emotion.

If i was thrown into a Porsche dealership with no cars at all ... my first choice would be a modded Turbo like the one I have. No matter how I look at it --It's king. It's the Porsche nest egg. It's the mother ship.

Then there's the modded PDK or the Gt3 but I think the Gt3 edges it out .I am just not sure .

Old 09-26-2009, 12:49 AM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
What is it about the GT3 that really excites you? Is it the look? the performance? the bragging rights? You said yourself your turbo is king, I just don't know what you're after with the GT3. You know it won't be as comfortable as your C2S and it won't be as badass as your turbo. Personally, I think you have the best of both worlds already. Unless they're giving the GT3 to you, I wouldn't rush into it. The GT3 is here to stay and you can always order one at a later date.

Old 09-26-2009, 01:12 AM
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
What is it about the GT3 that really excites you? Is it the look? the performance? the bragging rights? You said yourself your turbo is king, I just don't know what you're after with the GT3. You know it won't be as comfortable as your C2S and it won't be as badass as your turbo. Personally, I think you have the best of both worlds already. Unless they're giving the GT3 to you, I wouldn't rush into it. The GT3 is here to stay and you can always order one at a later date.
You are correct on every logical point.
But I will answer your question.

The Gt3 is the most seamless and finest performing 911 and its also the last of the Gt1 which is the most reliable porsche engine of all time --in my opinion . My Turbo has given me two years of 100 percent reliability . I believe that the gt3 will offer that too and the DFI leaves a lot unknown.

I don't think about things like bragging rights . I even praised the Civic Si . I look at things for what they are rather than what others perceive them to be .

I don't expect any cars for free and I didn't say yes or buy it . I'm still trying to determine my feelings about the car itself on a practical level factoring out cost at first.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:19 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
That would be the triumvirate of Porsches. Add in a Carrera GT and you would have the ultimate modern day Porsche stable.

I agree with everyone else that you need to drive one to make sure it would meet your needs and to see if it gives you an experience that your other Porsches aren't giving you (which I expect it will).

Last edited by motosport3; 09-26-2009 at 02:21 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:14 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
I haven't arrived at the :1) how much will it cost ? or 2) which car goes bye bye ? questions yet . I am still in the "why does this linger?" phase and "would I be happier with it or without it ?" along with "would it fit into my lifestyle ?"

the M3 is needed . The Turbo isn't going . So its really modded PDK or Gt3 . Tough choice .
So you do not even consider new 2010 turbo as an option? Why not? It will have plenty of power and still be very 'street friendly'.

Old 09-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
IMHO the GT3 RS is the king of the P-car hill. Beautiful industrial design, edgy in noise and ride, wider track than a pure NB. One small step down is the GT3. Looks great in red. I would love to have those seats - whether entering/exiting is difficult - they fit perfectly. And even with my car (no Bose) I don't miss having a better sound system. The stock one is fine, and the engine noise gets all my attention. I suspect that with the GT3, I wouldn't need a radio at all.

I could wait and hope it gets sold . I could hope a slot opens and build my own . i can wait for the 998 . I just don't know . If I were to spec the car from scratch I woild order it in mexico blue , ceramics, sports adaptives , full leather . This one is red --not my first color choice but the gt3 wears red very well , full leather. sport bucket, ceramics , chrono , and all the gadgets . It doesn't have Bose .

So I have this image of really enjoying how it drives but then turning on the radio and feeling it needs some juice , and climbing in and out of sports buckets which aren't exactly comfortable . So its somewhat mixed emotion.

If i was thrown into a Porsche dealership with no cars at all ... my first choice would be a modded Turbo like the one I have. No matter how I look at it --It's king. It's the Porsche nest egg. It's the mother ship.

Then there's the modded PDK or the Gt3 but I think the Gt3 edges it out .I am just not sure .

Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough

Even the upgraded stereo in a gt3 is not Bose and def. not digtal. Check out my response on the gt3 thread if you like.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:12 AM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough

3 years minimum for a 998/991.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The Gt3 still lingers -questions .