997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Official review: Rennsport-1 Exhaust for 997.2 S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
Official review: Rennsport-1 Exhaust for 997.2 S

My apologies to Justin at Rennsport, as I have taken my sweet time writing this review for their exhaust system. Just been completely swamped with work, so there, thats my excuse....

Before anyone begins on the install, I truly recommend looking up the exhaust install DIY over at renntech.org. Removing the rear bumper is very very easy, and only takes 10 min to remove. TRUST ME, it makes the exhaust install much easier. I just rolled up into some plastic rhino ramps, and once the bumper was off, the stock exhaust came out no problem. Be sure to have some copper anti-seize on you, as I always use it on every exhaust install. iI also recommend having a swivel piece, as some nuts are hard to reach. The Rennsport 1 exhaust goes on extremely easy. Just be patient with adjusting the tips, as there is several ways to make adjustments. The whole process literally took 2.5 hours to complete.

Now as for the sound, ugh, plain and simple, just orgasmic This is by far the best sounding Porsche I have ever heard. No offense whatsoever to other vendors, ie: Tubi, or Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, because those systems are fantastic. But for the price, and the weight savings, its just a win / win situation. Very aggressive sound, just completely raw and awesome. I cant begin to tell you how many compliments I get on the system. Even pulling up to places for dinner, its a complete head turner. The only thing I would comment on is the drone. There seems to be a little bit existing between 2300 to 3000 rpm. The sweet spot for me is cruising anywhere from 75 to 82 mph, where the exhaust is barely noticeable. Not a complaint in anyway, but just letting fellow enthusiasts know. For me, its a non issue, as this is my weekend car, so the sound doesnt affect me at all. In fact, I really get excited when I walk up the car to start it. I get the same excitement every time I start it. Just a gigantic grin from ear to ear. This is why I bought my first Porsche!

Huge props to Justin and the rest of the team at Rennsport 1. Their service is impeccable. I had a quick issue with the tip adjustment, and Justin went out of his way to call/text me numerous times to make sure I was satisfied. He even sent me a text hours later asking how I was enjoying the new sound of the car. Little things like that make a difference for me as a customer....

PS: I have a Sharkwerks center bypass pipe for sale with only 1000 miles on the system. It is absolutely perfect for a daily driver, as it add that extra aggressive exhaust note to the car. I just wanted something louder, plain and simple.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pass-pipe.html

Old 09-29-2009, 07:28 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
Thanks for sharing and congrats on a new exhaust!

The drone seems to be an issue with most (not all) aftermarket exhaust systems, but it's easy to adjust and keep the engine speed beyond the "drone zone"

Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Greek
But for the price, and the weight savings, its just a win / win situation. Very aggressive sound, just completely raw and awesome. The only thing I would comment on is the drone. There seems to be a little bit existing between 2400 to 3000 rpm. l
+1

Installed mine and have driven it several times in varying conditions.

1. Weight loss is a beautiful thing. I weighed the OE side mufflers- 18.5 lbs each. So losing 37 lbs of side mounted *** weight. That MUST be good for vehicle dynamics.
2. Remove your bumper, no need to raise car, you can do it with wheels on the ground. But so much more access with bumper gone.
3. Idle sound is very authoritative and deep. Burble-y
4. Under partial load, at approx 2300-2900 rpm, there is a deep "resonance", and it fills the cabin. Maybe mine is made worse as I have removed my rear seat backs (weight savings) and this surely affects the cabin acoustics.

You will not hear your radio or conduct conversation when this resonance occurs :-( It can be ameliorated by either upshifting, downshifting, or reducing engine load. Flat/downhill road not an issue. Going uphill it is for me too much.

Can't say I noticed any power loss/gain by the butt dyno. The exhaust pathway through the muffler is a straight shot so I would guess this would flow better at higher rpm's but I would love to see a dyno plot.

The PDK rev-matched downshifts in Sport mode are now audible where before they were not. That sounds very cool.

Given I have a ten mile long uphill drive home, half-way up a mountain, the resonance was unbearable until I shifted in manual mode and dropped a couple gears. Or, popped it into 7th/1800 rpm. So you may be more or less affected by this characteristic than I am.

It pains me to not be able to post a no-reservations 100% glowing review, the folks at RennSport were good to work with. The car is my daily driver, and for me it can be too loud ("aggressive") under certain driving conditions, and I am not sure if I will come to enjoy the added decibels. And I do not have the benefit of hearing other systems, so have nothing to compare it to.

Will be curious to read what other posters experience with this set-up is.

Last edited by sayboy; 09-29-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 PM
The Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to beholdThe Greek is a splendid one to behold
Sayboy - It sounds like your drives are way different than mine, exploiting the worse possible scenario for this exhaust. Going uphill for 10 miles constantly on the gas does not sound like fun. This is why I emphasized the fact that my car is not a DD. I could very well see how driving it every day would be an issue. I think for you, sharkwerks center bypass might do the trick. Or aftermarket side mufflers with a stock center resonator. For your situation, a center bypass AND aftermarket mufflers might only be a little more quiet than what you have now....

Oh, and congrats on the deposit on the RS. I cant even imagine how your going to enjoy driving it....

Old 09-29-2009, 09:15 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by The Greek
My apologies to Justin at Rennsport, as I have taken my sweet time writing this review for their exhaust system. Just been completely swamped with work, so there, thats my excuse....

Before anyone begins on the install, I truly recommend looking up the exhaust install DIY over at renntech.org. Removing the rear bumper is very very easy, and only takes 10 min to remove. TRUST ME, it makes the exhaust install much easier. I just rolled up into some plastic rhino ramps, and once the bumper was off, the stock exhaust came out no problem. Be sure to have some copper anti-seize on you, as I always use it on every exhaust install. iI also recommend having a swivel piece, as some nuts are hard to reach. The Rennsport 1 exhaust goes on extremely easy. Just be patient with adjusting the tips, as there is several ways to make adjustments. The whole process literally took 2.5 hours to complete.

Now as for the sound, ugh, plain and simple, just orgasmic This is by far the best sounding Porsche I have ever heard. No offense whatsoever to other vendors, ie: Tubi, or Fabspeed, Sharkwerks, because those systems are fantastic. But for the price, and the weight savings, its just a win / win situation. Very aggressive sound, just completely raw and awesome. I cant begin to tell you how many compliments I get on the system. Even pulling up to places for dinner, its a complete head turner. The only thing I would comment on is the drone. There seems to be a little bit existing between 2300 to 3000 rpm. The sweet spot for me is cruising anywhere from 75 to 82 mph, where the exhaust is barely noticeable. Not a complaint in anyway, but just letting fellow enthusiasts know. For me, its a non issue, as this is my weekend car, so the sound doesnt affect me at all. In fact, I really get excited when I walk up the car to start it. I get the same excitement every time I start it. Just a gigantic grin from ear to ear. This is why I bought my first Porsche!

Huge props to Justin and the rest of the team at Rennsport 1. Their service is impeccable. I had a quick issue with the tip adjustment, and Justin went out of his way to call/text me numerous times to make sure I was satisfied. He even sent me a text hours later asking how I was enjoying the new sound of the car. Little things like that make a difference for me as a customer....

PS: I have a Sharkwerks center bypass pipe for sale with only 1000 miles on the system. It is absolutely perfect for a daily driver, as it add that extra aggressive exhaust note to the car. I just wanted something louder, plain and simple.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...pass-pipe.html

Greek,
Thanks for the review. Im glad you are enjoying the exhaust. We cant seem to keep these in stock. The reviews have been nothing short of amazing on the track and on the street. Thanks again. We look forward to serving you with all of your tuning needs

Old 09-29-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by sayboy
+1

Installed mine and have driven it several times in varying conditions.

1. Weight loss is a beautiful thing. I weighed the OE side mufflers- 18.5 lbs each. So losing 37 lbs of side mounted *** weight. That MUST be good for vehicle dynamics.
2. Remove your bumper, no need to raise car, you can do it with wheels on the ground. But so much more access with bumper gone.
3. Idle sound is very authoritative and deep. Burble-y
4. Under partial load, at approx 2300-2900 rpm, there is a deep "resonance", and it fills the cabin. Maybe mine is made worse as I have removed my rear seat backs (weight savings) and this surely affects the cabin acoustics.

You will not hear your radio or conduct conversation when this resonance occurs :-( It can be ameliorated by either upshifting, downshifting, or reducing engine load. Flat/downhill road not an issue. Going uphill it is for me too much.

Can't say I noticed any power loss/gain by the butt dyno. The exhaust pathway through the muffler is a straight shot so I would guess this would flow better at higher rpm's but I would love to see a dyno plot.

The PDK rev-matched downshifts in Sport mode are now audible where before they were not. That sounds very cool.

Given I have a ten mile long uphill drive home, half-way up a mountain, the resonance was unbearable until I shifted in manual mode and dropped a couple gears. Or, popped it into 7th/1800 rpm. So you may be more or less affected by this characteristic than I am.

It pains me to not be able to post a no-reservations 100% glowing review, the folks at RennSport were good to work with. The car is my daily driver, and for me it can be too loud ("aggressive") under certain driving conditions, and I am not sure if I will come to enjoy the added decibels. And I do not have the benefit of hearing other systems, so have nothing to compare it to.

Will be curious to read what other posters experience with this set-up is.
Pete,
I apologize that it seems the exhaust did not meet your expectation level. You are the first customer that states there is an issue with resonance. We have undergone rigorous testing and throughout our testing, drone and resonance was not a factor. We would like to reach out and offer you a refund or exchange of the system in order to satisfy your exhaust needs. Our main goal @ Rennsport-1 is to ultimately make all of our customers completely happy with their purchase as their vehicle in order to achieve all of their aftermarket goals. If our 997.2 exhaust system did not meet or exceed your expectation please pm / email me for a full refund or exchange for another product. I appreciate your feedback and we will do whatever it takes to make you happy. I look forward to hearing from you.

Last edited by 997FL; 09-29-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 09-29-2009, 09:28 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
That is cool of you to stand by your customer! Rennsport is a class-act!

Old 09-29-2009, 09:46 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Very cool of Rennsport-1 to offer help. I personally LOVE the Rennsport muffler and would have 1 on my car today if it were not for my wifes negociating skills on my Tubi system. Personally from the test ride I did with Rennsport I would not say this drone was all that bad...it was there but more like exhaust/engine sound than ear hurting drone.

Tubi is just about dead silent at highway cruise 2000-2700 rpm as part or slight throttle. Maybe Rennsport-1 could swap you about for a tubi system....Tubi will cost a little more though.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:02 PM
Banned
We will do whatever sayboy would like. We stand behind our customers 100% and will do whatever it takes to make our main goal" our customers " happy.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:06 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rennsport-1
Pete,
I apologize that it seems the exhaust did not meet your expectation level. You are the first customer that states there is an issue with resonance. We have undergone rigorous testing and throughout our testing, drone and resonance was not a factor. We would like to reach out and offer you a refund or exchange of the system in order to satisfy your exhaust needs. Our main goal @ Rennsport-1 is to ultimately make all of our customers completely happy with their purchase as their vehicle in order to achieve all of their aftermarket goals. If our 997.2 exhaust system did not meet or exceed your expectation please pm / email me for a full refund or exchange for another product. I appreciate your feedback and we will do whatever it takes to make you happy. I look forward to hearing from you.
**First class offer and customer service**- and hugely appreciated. You've certainly earned my respect.

Let me put some more miles on and see how I feel. Exhaust sound is a very personal thing and a leap of faith by the buyer if he has not had a chance to listen to a system in real life. So my taste in "music" is different than the next persons.

Huge weight loss, excellent quality, fair price, more aggressive tone- so those are all good reasons for anyone to give this new system a try.

Old 09-30-2009, 08:32 AM
Banned
**First class offer and customer service**- and hugely appreciated. You've certainly earned my respect.

Let me put some more miles on and see how I feel. Exhaust sound is a very personal thing and a leap of faith by the buyer if he has not had a chance to listen to a system in real life. So my taste in "music" is different than the next persons.

Huge weight loss, excellent quality, fair price, more aggressive tone- so those are all good reasons for anyone to give this new system a try.
Sayboy,
We will give you a few weeks to figure out which way you would like to go. No rush, we are here for you either way.

Happy Motoring,
RS1

Old 09-30-2009, 09:35 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
+1

It may not be your case but I had almost exactly that with my Fabspeed setup in the beginning when one of rear fender rods was touching mufflers - entire cabin was vibrating at 3K rpm.

As soon as I bended those rods eliminating any contact with exhaust pipes and made sure mufflers are secured properly on that steel mesh and checked if all the nuts and bolts are properly tight - droning and kidney massage was completely gone.

Just my 2c.

Old 09-30-2009, 10:09 AM
PT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond reputePT Doc has a reputation beyond repute
Great customer support!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:42 AM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PT Doc
Great customer support!
Thanks guys! At the end of the day our goal is to make our customers happy. When they're happy, we're happy.

Sayboy's RS1 exhaust is back here at our shop. So.....who wants a great deal on this system?

Old 10-13-2009, 03:38 PM
PersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of lightPersianGodFatha is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Tom@Rennsport-1
Thanks guys! At the end of the day our goal is to make our customers happy. When they're happy, we're happy.

Sayboy's RS1 exhaust is back here at our shop. So.....who wants a great deal on this system?

PM me the great deal...