997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Right side braking (caliper?) issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Question Right side braking (caliper?) issue

Hi,

just curious if anyone had something like this ever before, when car is cold and before I step on brakes hard for a first time - sometimes, but not all/every time when I braking on regular way car jumps to the left. Looks like left front brake engages fully and right does not. if after that I hit brakes reasonably hard it cures and never happens again for a whole day, or sometimes even on a next day. But it has repeated often enough to be noticed. Steering wheel while this happens turns with enough force - if I keep my hand too loose it can actually jump off my grip. Brakes were flushed 2 weeks ago but issue remained - it started quite a while ago.

So after it is gone there are no side effects left at all - braking is equal on both sides, there is no difference in caliper temperatures, brake pads are worn on exact same progression, there is nothing that could show any issue.
No vibration while riding, acceleration is ok, alignment was done too, car behaves as perfect and as normal as it can be.

As it happened this morning I let it stay for an hour then tried it again - no, does not repeat. It only seems to happen when car was idle for some reasonably long time.

I called dealer today - they naturally never 'heard' if caliper may act like this (porsche calipers never fail?!) so they cannot say, naturally, if any work on such an issue will be covered by warranty by default or not (naturally) and my gut feeling is that if I give them my car with current half way worn pads and rotors they will fix actual problems then replace pads and rotors, bill me for a whole thing and blame it on pads or braking fluid, or similar.

So, what would be best approach for this? Just to wait it out until time will come to replace rotors and brake pads and if after that it will happen again - go to the dealer? Is there anything at all I could diagnose myself by taking caliper apart? Or is reason for such a problem would not be a caliper at all but my be some dirt particle somewhere in hydraulics lines?

Or is there anything on a right car side that may drip or condense on right brake disk and not a left one? I am not sure what to guess, it is quite weird.

Any ideas?

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-01-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 10-01-2009, 01:02 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
will try to put new brake pads on and replace all i can on that sorry *** caliper - got this from suncoast:

99635108801 Front Brake Pad Damper 2 $18.68 $37.36
997C2C4FRPD Carrera Front Brake Pads 1 $130.33 $130.33
PadSet: 99735193903
987ScFrontKit Front Caliper Repair Kit 1 $23.25 $23.25
style: 95535296000
99907340201 Caliper Bolt 2

Do not see anything else I can put on and do not want to do rotors yet, old ones are worn but still have plenty of doe left on `em.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:01 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It sounds like to me that you have a lazy piston.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
It sounds like to me that you have a lazy piston.
any suggestions on how to fix that? spray its shaft with MAF cleaner perhaps while piston will be all the way down?

Old 10-01-2009, 05:05 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
You can get a caliper rebuild kit...new piston seals ect. Maybe you have some dirty up there? Inspect the piston seals and clean with brake cleaner spray.

I do not envy you with the closed caliper on the standard Carrera. Best of luck and keep us posted.

Old 10-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by mdrums
You can get a caliper rebuild kit...new piston seals ect. Maybe you have some dirty up there? Inspect the piston seals and clean with brake cleaner spray.

I do not envy you with the closed caliper on the standard Carrera. Best of luck and keep us posted.
Well, if that caliper will **** me off too bad I will cut it off and put new Brembo set there instead. I was thinking about it from the beginning but really do not need it, so it would be just a waste of money, similar to navigation install.

I assume it will not ruin the car to have 350mm Brembos in front and stock in rear axle?

Or do people usually upgrade both rear and front? I am not sure why would anybody need bigger brakes at rear but it does not hurt to ask, I guess. Still it is highly unlikely will be needed, I also think now most likely it is dirt or brake dust build-up in a piston shaft. I should be able to clean it up.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally Posted by mdrums

Drove it this morning - not a sign of any problems. What a stupid non-sense...

Well, will do it next week as brake pads will arrive. I looked up procedure to work on those calipers - do not see anything difficult, really, seems exactly same as on any other car. Need to do the same on my Lexus before winter comes - rear pads on it are completely worn , hardly 3mm of pads left, but it`s so boooring... And I`m out of latex gloves.

Old 10-02-2009, 08:53 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Well, if that caliper will **** me off too bad I will cut it off and put new Brembo set there instead. I was thinking about it from the beginning but really do not need it, so it would be just a waste of money, similar to navigation install.

I assume it will not ruin the car to have 350mm Brembos in front and stock in rear axle?

Or do people usually upgrade both rear and front? I am not sure why would anybody need bigger brakes at rear but it does not hurt to ask, I guess. Still it is highly unlikely will be needed, I also think now most likely it is dirt or brake dust build-up in a piston shaft. I should be able to clean it up.
The front and rear brakes are designed to work together. There is a brake bias program that will allow your car to sit flatter under braking, instead of nose diving. I think that if you upgrade your brakes, it is best to do front and rear. Brembo's 350mm is a very nice brake system!

Old 10-02-2009, 09:01 AM
The front and rear brakes are designed to work together. There is a brake bias program that will allow your car to sit flatter under braking, instead of nose diving. I think that if you upgrade your brakes, it is best to do front and rear. Brembo's 350mm is a very nice brake system!
I spoke to some guys who race and in tuner shop - upgrading just front was considered as an option by both. 380 Brembos would most likely damage braking balance too much but 350mm should actually be OK, well, it`s not clear to me yet but I think OEM brake pads on stock rear rotors and brembos on front would work. investing $3.5K more on rear breaks IMHO does not make sense.

But, I honestly do not see much sense in doing that at all, definitely not this year. Next year, if I get big enough bonus in Q1 - may be, who knows. For now I am quite OK with what I have.

I am more concerned now about my driveway clearance - just 1 inch as I reach it. I was mentally all set on getting coilovers and now this bummer - seems like I'll not be able to get into my own garage if I get my car 1 inch lower.

Old 10-02-2009, 09:27 AM
buy a new house! Or get the Cargraphic nose lift kit for the CO's

Old 10-02-2009, 09:35 AM
buy a new house! Or get the Cargraphic nose lift kit for the CO's
heh, my wife screws my brain about new house for quite a while now but I want current one to get back to where it was in 2005 before we sell it - downpayment for new one has to come from somewhere and I didn`t figure out yet how to print my own money...

nose lift is an another 2-3 grand I guess? I saw KW coilovers with a lift - $7K or so. hardly a wise thing to do but in Boston it would be damn handy. I guess I will have to wait on that.

My nose is all scraped already down below. Not even sure when, where and how.

Old 10-02-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
heh, my wife screws my brain about new house for quite a while now but I want current one to get back to where it was in 2005 before we sell it - downpayment for new one has to come from somewhere and I didn`t figure out yet how to print my own money...

nose lift is an another 2-3 grand I guess? I saw KW coilovers with a lift - $7K or so. hardly a wise thing to do but in Boston it would be damn handy. I guess I will have to wait on that.

My nose is all scraped already down below. Not even sure when, where and how.
I guess being a printer that I should be able to do that, but I hear that if I go to jail I won't get time off to go to the track!