997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is it possible to CPO a car purchased from a private seller?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 10:47 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RonCT
If the OEM warranty has expired, you can't get CPO no matter what. If it hasn't expired, then you can get it by running it through a dealer, preferrably through the one the car originally came from because there's probably a relationship there between the owner and the dealer. I've done this a couple of times and it's $2k, not $3k. The dealer in each case simply charged me the actual price they pay Porsche for the extension of warranty and the paperwork charge (ie: Conveyance of $299). In each case there was a little bit of non-warranty work that needed to be done to get the car to pass the CPO process, simple things like an oil change, brake fluid flush, etc. - just a couple hundred. So, for about $2500 out the door I got the cars not only extended for 2/50k but also fully serviced and ready to go.
Please realize that there is a HUGE variability in what different dealers are willing to offer. Some dealers offer no CPO unless you purchase vehicle directly from them. Some perhaps would only CPO cars with remaining factory warranty. The dealers that I contacted would CPO a PP Porsche even with expired factory warranty. Only 2 things are required for CPO: 1. A Porsche vehicle whose conditions meet CPO inspection standards and
2. A Porsche dealership willing to certify the vehicle.
Everything else is variable- including the cost of CPO ($2K or $3K); and including original factory warranty status.

Also realize that what was available months ago may not be the same now. Take the advice given on this forum only as a guideline. Do your own exploration and talk to more than several dealers to find out what is possible.

Last edited by PorscheUSA; 10-07-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:35 AM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
It all depends on whether a dealer will help or not. To me it always made sense that they would because they are helping to insure that a car is in top operating condition, serviced properly, and as a courtesy for the premium brand owners past, present and future.

Regarding when a car can be CPO. I was going by what the rules "were" and they were specific that it could only be done if the car was still under OEM 4/50k warranty. I just checked the website and sure enough, they improved the rules - go figure, I stand corrected as the rules have changed for the better. See page 5 bottom right of the Porsche CPO brochure:
http://www.porsche.com/filestore.asp...letype=default