997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is it possible to CPO a car purchased from a private seller?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
hrm
hrm is infamous around these parts
Is it possible to CPO a car purchased from a private seller?

I've found a great optioned 2006 Porsche that I am interested in purchasing from a private seller. My only concern is the warranty has expired.

Therefore is it possible to get the car CPO'd once I purchase it or can I only get a CPO'd car by purchasing it from the dealer?

If possible, how does one go about getting a private Porsche CPO'd?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:08 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
to get it CPO it has to be sold to a Porsche dealer and dealer sells it to you as a CPO.
If car was sold as CPO to you you can sell it privately to another person (but not to a dealer) and it will remain CPO.

Old 10-02-2009, 12:26 PM
FB123 is infamous around these parts
I've heard that some dealers will facilitate this process for a ~$3k. Call around and ask! Or just purchase an aftermarket extended..

Old 10-02-2009, 12:32 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
There have been a couple of posts from other members about spending ~$3k to CPO a car from a private party so it is indeed possible.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
It is not possible. The car has to be run through the dealer's books. Retail cost to the buyer for a dealer to CPO a car is about $2k, not $3k. Anything additional is what the dealer is charging to run the car through their books. Aftermarket warranties don't hold a candle to CPO cars.

Last edited by 911dev; 10-02-2009 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-02-2009, 01:02 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'd be curious if a dealer will CPO a car with an expired factory warranty.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:05 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by motosport3
There have been a couple of posts from other members about spending ~$3k to CPO a car from a private party so it is indeed possible.
I am yet to see such a trick in reality. From what I heard dealers can offer to buy CPO status for non-CPO cars dealer sells. Not like anyone can wonder into the dealership and re-sell car through them with CPO status.

But who knows, may be even that is possible. I was told by a dealer that they are very selective on cars that do get CPOd - like it has to be practically like new, single owner, under 10K miles, etc. Who knows what of that is true and what is boloney.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:07 PM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
An 06 with the warranty expired: it must have been on one of the first boats coming over in July 05. Anyway, a lot of threads 5-10 months ago on getting a dealer to do a CPO. With a little work you will find that Easycare will be cheaper and cover the same stuff, and it's sold by some of the Porsche stealers. Remember that THE PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE - 10, 20, even 30% off the price in the book they will show you.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM
911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough911dev is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I am yet to see such a trick in reality. From what I heard dealers can offer to buy CPO status for non-CPO cars dealer sells. Not like anyone can wonder into the dealership and re-sell car through them with CPO status.

But who knows, may be even that is possible. I was told by a dealer that they are very selective on cars that do get CPOd - like it has to be practically like new, single owner, under 10K miles, etc. Who knows what of that is true and what is boloney.
No more than one maybe two (can't remember) panels could have been repainted. The inspection is very, very thorough. I don't know about the one owner thing though.

Old 10-02-2009, 03:33 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by utkinpol

Here is one example that came to mind. Of course a pre-existing relationship w/ a dealership will help as they report up to big brother about the car.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...97s-x51-2.html

Originally Posted by 996toomey
I explained this over on Rennlist and copied this answer from a post over there but this is how it worked.

Yes I took the car and the Buyer to the dealer. The dealer is acting more as an escrow / middleman. Some dealers will do this type of service for $1000 fee. The CPO was $2000 and I believe there was tax on the CPO plus smog etc.

The Buyer and I went to the dealer at the same time and all paperwork is handled simultaneously. No way a dealer would buy the car from me for $60000 to make $1000 that is for sure.

The buyer did a PPI at the dealer last Friday. The PPI was done on a 37 page CPO inspection form. The car did not need anything to pass CPO.

Last edited by motosport3; 10-02-2009 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:44 PM
PorscheUSA is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tejoe
An 06 with the warranty expired: it must have been on one of the first boats coming over in July 05. Anyway, a lot of threads 5-10 months ago on getting a dealer to do a CPO. With a little work you will find that Easycare will be cheaper and cover the same stuff, and it's sold by some of the Porsche stealers. Remember that THE PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE - 10, 20, even 30% off the price in the book they will show you.
Before I purchased my 05 997 C2S a few weeks ago, I did extensive research and had everything set-up to run the purchase via a local Porsche dealer in order to obtain CPO warranty. One of the dealers even has a term for this type of transactions- "marketing deals." Only some dealers are willing to do this. The way to find out is to call and ask to speak to the sales manager.

I ended up not going through with it because CPO would cost about $35K (including PPI and dealer's profits) to cover 2 years, whereas EasyCare coverage for 6y/75k miles costs me only $2850.

For more information, check out my post on:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...worthless.html

PM me if you have specific questions about So Cal dealerships.

Last edited by PorscheUSA; 10-03-2009 at 11:47 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
CPO is the way to go, dont go any other way, you will be sorry......

Old 10-06-2009, 09:05 AM
996toomey is infamous around these parts
I have done this a couple times. Dealer does buy the car and then sells it to new buyer. It all happens at the same time.

Price is $2000 for CPO Warranty and whatever you agree to pay dealer to act a middleman / broker usually around $1000.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:14 PM
mkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura aboutmkaraoglan has a spectacular aura about
I CPO'd my 05 C2s PP sale but they only agreed to it because he was buying a GT3 RS through them and they used the money towards his purchase. I think it's more f an exception.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:09 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
If the OEM warranty has expired, you can't get CPO no matter what. If it hasn't expired, then you can get it by running it through a dealer, preferrably through the one the car originally came from because there's probably a relationship there between the owner and the dealer. I've done this a couple of times and it's $2k, not $3k. The dealer in each case simply charged me the actual price they pay Porsche for the extension of warranty and the paperwork charge (ie: Conveyance of $299). In each case there was a little bit of non-warranty work that needed to be done to get the car to pass the CPO process, simple things like an oil change, brake fluid flush, etc. - just a couple hundred. So, for about $2500 out the door I got the cars not only extended for 2/50k but also fully serviced and ready to go.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it possible to CPO a car purchased from a private seller?