997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Oil Change Notes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:44 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Oil Change Notes

Just to share some Notes.

I used the DIY from Rennlist for some initial pointers.

-Ramps are easy and give you lots of room to get under the car but you can also just jack up the passenger side of the car and have plenty of room.

-The oil drains extremely fast. Do not take the oil filler cap off as this only make it worse.

-The Suncoast oil filter cap tool and filter kit is awesome and has everything you need.

-In order to replace the O-Ring on the filter cap I just cut the old one off as this proved much easier than trying to pull it off. Putting the new one on is simple.

-After screwing in the drain plug and replacing the filter I put in 8 qts initially. After letting the oil settle I was at about a bar low. I then added .5 qts which actually put me over. I was surprised and frustrated at this. Part of me just wanted to live with it knowing that I was probably only .25 qts over but I decided to try and remedy the situation. I did this buy removing the filter housing again and pooring out the cup of oil that was in the housing. After this I was right at the full line! So, I put in about 8.2-8.4 qts. I imagine there is about .5 qts that cannot drain since the 3.8L has a 9 qt capacity.

-I decided to switch to Mobil1 15W-50 for a several reasons. Oil is a touchy subject but I have my reasons.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 10-04-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:53 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
How did you torque the drain plug? By feel or by a given torque value?

Did you replace the drain plug gasket?

Old 10-04-2009, 09:56 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
How did you torque the drain plug? By feel or by a given torque value?

Did you replace the drain plug gasket?
Torque by feel... good and tight and then just checked the plug after running the engine.

Yep, the filter Suncoast sent came with a new gasket.

Jason

Old 10-05-2009, 02:45 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by JEllis

-After screwing in the drain plug and replacing the filter I put in 8 qts initially. After letting the oil settle I was at about a bar low. I then added .5 qts which actually put me over. I was surprised and frustrated at this.

I'd say, that with the 8qts put in, reading 1 bar down from the top, you were full as it was. You were just not up the maximum line... which... especially with the electronic reading system, isn't a mark one should shoot for.

Getting the level to a point somewhere in the middle of the range is 'good enough'. Shooting for the maximum seems like trying to hit the very top of the mechanical dipstick range... its just not necessary and increases the odds of an overfill.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:22 PM
Originally Posted by Minok
I'd say, that with the 8qts put in, reading 1 bar down from the top, you were full as it was. You were just not up the maximum line... which... especially with the electronic reading system, isn't a mark one should shoot for.

Getting the level to a point somewhere in the middle of the range is 'good enough'. Shooting for the maximum seems like trying to hit the very top of the mechanical dipstick range... its just not necessary and increases the odds of an overfill.
What can I say, I always aim high!

But since the 3.8L is advertised to have a 9 quart oil system I was aiming to get 9 quarts in. I probably would have been just fine with about .25qts overfill but I am picky and a perfectionist.

Jason

Old 10-05-2009, 08:06 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
why 15w- 50, if i might ask? thanks

Old 10-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
why 15w- 50, if i might ask? thanks
Oil is a touchy subject around these parts but I will start off with this. 15W-50 is actually a recommended oil in the Porsche manual... look it up if you dont believe me...

Well, Mobil1 0W-40 has some shearing effect and I think it ends up being closer to a 30 weight oil. My M3 used to eat it like crazy until I switched to 15W-50. Mobil1 0W-40 is also the recommended oil for my bimmer and I have never had a good experience with it.

LN Engineering recommends 15W-50 or another heavier weight oil to preserve the life of the IMS bearing.

The Porsche manual actually allows for 15W-50 especially in hot climates. Combine a warm climate with track days and sporty driving and it just makes sense.

I have heard the Vario Cam rumor before. I know plenty of Porsche owners that run 15W-50 with no issues. In fact some indy shops recommend 15W-50...

Jason

Old 10-05-2009, 10:05 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Jason you are a f-ing porsche encyclopedia !!!

Its almost disgusting how much you know about these cars ... ha ha ha

Im glad i have your number though for all my questions!!!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
BTW I just ordered:

X51 Oil pan with X51 Baffles
Deep Oil Pan Spacer

This will increase my oil capacity by 1 Quart..... thereby minimizing oil engine starvation during high G cornering!!!

ha ha there is my knowledge b-otch!

Old 10-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
BTW I just ordered:

X51 Oil pan with X51 Baffles
Deep Oil Pan Spacer

This will increase my oil capacity by 1 Quart..... thereby minimizing oil engine starvation during high G cornering!!!

ha ha there is my knowledge b-otch!
hahaha well I have been known to be wrong a lot as well......

Have you seen this little guy?

http://www.e-partssales.com/miva/mer...=CarreraSSport

X51 Baffle and this little guy will be on my future mod list!

Let me know how the install goes!

Jason

Old 10-05-2009, 10:54 PM
Y a I saw that.... what does it do... and why do i need it???

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Originally Posted by mobonic
Y a I saw that.... what does it do... and why do i need it???
Because its a part from a Cup car. That means you will drop at least 3 seconds at streets of willow next time we go!

hahaha

Jason

Old 10-05-2009, 11:02 PM
I already fell for that and bought a new suspension!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 12:29 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
Oil is a touchy subject around these parts but I will start off with this. 15W-50 is actually a recommended oil in the Porsche manual... look it up if you dont believe me...

Well, Mobil1 0W-40 has some shearing effect and I think it ends up being closer to a 30 weight oil. My M3 used to eat it like crazy until I switched to 15W-50. Mobil1 0W-40 is also the recommended oil for my bimmer and I have never had a good experience with it.

LN Engineering recommends 15W-50 or another heavier weight oil to preserve the life of the IMS bearing.

The Porsche manual actually allows for 15W-50 especially in hot climates. Combine a warm climate with track days and sporty driving and it just makes sense.

I have heard the Vario Cam rumor before. I know plenty of Porsche owners that run 15W-50 with no issues. In fact some indy shops recommend 15W-50...

Jason

That applies to the 997.1 M97 engines but not to the 997.2 DFI engines. The new engines may use:

0W40, 5W40, 5W50 in warm climates and 0W40 in cold climates.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:50 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
2006 997S manual recommendations include 5w-50 (which according to Mobil is only distributed through dealers) but not 15w-50. Still may be OK in warm climates, but not on Porsche list...

Has anyone put the Motorsports VOS/AOS shown above on a 997S? I have been interested in this also. It should reduce oil consumption and smoke issues but it appears install may be quite significant in terms of labor hours.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Notes