997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why does my electric spoiler go down ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Minok
Porsche lawyers have required the passengers window be up 1/2 way before a one-touch closure happens on that window...
Thanks for that info!
I thought mine was busted or had a glitch

Old 10-11-2009, 08:57 AM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
you can kind of fix that one touch glitch on the window with the smarttop add-on, but it's not a 100% fix. Works like 95% of the time.

To answer the original question here, and yes, I'm a newbie owner! If you push the button (1x) it'll raise the spoiler the way you like it. If you pass something like 75 MPH it'll cause it to go into "default" deploy mode and when you slow back down it'll retract.

So, basically, if you want it up manually all the time, just drive slower.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:41 AM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
The purpose of the spoiler is to add down force and stability at high speeds. I can not see my spoiler in the mirror but the car feels very stable above 80 mph.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:27 PM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by type997
Thanks for that info!
I thought mine was busted or had a glitch

lol, same here, couldnt understand it and still think it a stupid setup.

Old 10-11-2009, 01:10 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
be cool, dont put your spoiler up when its not supposed to be..

Old 10-11-2009, 01:49 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wdgreene
To answer the original question here, and yes, I'm a newbie owner! If you push the button (1x) it'll raise the spoiler the way you like it. If you pass something like 75 MPH it'll cause it to go into "default" deploy mode and when you slow back down it'll retract.

So, basically, if you want it up manually all the time, just drive slower.
I don't think that is correct - doesn't sound like the Owner's Manual and doesn't go with my experience...

My trial run with this:

As long as the light is illuminated on the switch, it is in manual mode and will stay up regardless of your speed. When the car is restarted, auto resumes and it will retract at some point, but not immediately - even if you don't hit 75mph - I suspect when the speed falls below the min auto speed after exceeding that. That's the 997.2 anyway - don't know if earlier years behave the same or not.

I noticed that you can, in a coupe, barely get a glimpse of the top edge of the spoiler when it is extended.

I do agree that city street driving (or parked ) with it extended looks odd - I felt the urge to hang a "just testing" sign on mine while doing it.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:20 PM
wdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the roughwdgreene is a jewel in the rough
I think the retract point is < 50 mph. You can run some trials, watch when it turns to auto-mode again. My experience leads me to think it's around 75 MPH. I don't know the precise #. I do know that if you drive slow, it stays up. It's not timer based.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:40 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by wdgreene
I think the retract point is < 50 mph. You can run some trials, watch when it turns to auto-mode again. My experience leads me to think it's around 75 MPH. I don't know the precise #. I do know that if you drive slow, it stays up. It's not timer based.

Nope - it does not return to auto until the car is turned off and restarted. My point was I that did try this out - today. What you describe is not in the owner's manual and not my experience testing it out.

FYI Auto:

Engine compartment temperature under
122 °F/55 °C

Spoiler extends at 75 mph/120 km/h and retracts
at 37 mph/60 km/h.

Engine compartment temperature over
140 °F/60 °C

Spoiler extends at 50 mph/80 km/h and retracts

at 19 mph/30 km/h.
Retracting a manually extended rear spoiler

at speeds between 0 and 20mph (0 and

30 km/h):
Press and hold button until the

rear spoiler has reached its final position. The
light-emitting diode in the button goes out. The
rear spoiler changes to automatic mode.

at speeds between 20 and 60mph (30
and 100 km/h):

Press button briefly. The

rear spoiler retracts, the light-emitting diode in
the button goes out. The rear spoiler changes
to automatic mode.

at speeds over 60mph (100 km/h):

Press

button briefly. The rear spoiler remains
extended, the light-emitting diode in the
button goes out. The rear spoiler changes

to automatic mode.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-11-2009 at 06:47 PM.