997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Why does my electric spoiler go down ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 07:08 AM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
Why does my electric spoiler go down ?

When I am driving around town at low speeds and press the electric spoiler button to raise it, I notice that at some point the spoiler goes back down by itself, anyone know why ? Thanks

Old 10-05-2009, 07:18 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
If you press the button to put your spoiler up, it should stay there until you turn of your can and then restart it.

Old 10-05-2009, 07:37 AM
hmmm there must be something wrong with mine then since it seems to go down when it wants to and stays up when I turn the car off

Old 10-05-2009, 07:50 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Originally Posted by porscheman1963
hmmm there must be something wrong with mine then since it seems to go down when it wants to and stays up when I turn the car off
Yes, but he has a 2009 C4S Cab. Maybe it behaves differently.

Better check the manual and see what it says.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:42 AM
Yes, 2009 C4S if that makes any difference ???

Old 10-06-2009, 08:18 AM
CMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really niceCMOS is just really nice
Well, Porsche changed some stuff around with the 2009 model. For example, some ppl have posted that the one-touch sunroof doesn't work with one touch anymore - have to hold it in to close.
Also, your car is a convertible, which might be a factor.

Did you car come with a manual in the glovebox?

Old 10-06-2009, 08:33 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
The info in the manual is sparse - but the implication is that once you manually raise the flap, it should stay up at least for the duration of the drive.

There is no mention of what happens once you turn off the car and restart it.

I never have any idea what mine is doing - can't see it. Can you see it in the Cab? Does the light just go off and then it goes down randomly?

Old 10-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Something is wrong, my 09' stays up when I push the button, until I restart the car, so it even ramains up when the car is not running. Then I must push it again to raise it once i restart. I always keep it up, I love it!

Old 10-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by stevepow
The info in the manual is sparse - but the implication is that once you manually raise the flap, it should stay up at least for the duration of the drive.
This sounds right. From the impressions I'm left with from the the read of the manual I did in 11 months ago, if you manually raise the spoiler, it will stay up until you manually lower it, or until you turn off the ignition.. but I can imagine the spoiler going down at low speeds regardless... here's my thinking on that. Porsche lawyers have gotten them to remove one-touch sunroof closure, and require the passengers window be up 1/2 way before a one-touch closure happens on that window... nanny state court system / tort laws in full effect. So I can imagine they want to make sure that when the spoiler comes DOWN, that there is almost no chance some child or adult will have their fingers in there.. so the best way to do that is make sure the thing goes DOWN while the car is in motion. So I can imagine the 'down when you get below 30mph' mechanism may still hold.. .or it will go down once you start driving again..... ... or it stays up until YOU manually lower it.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
yes the manual is useless here. In the cab you can see it in the rear view mirror. Every time without fail when I press the button to raise it, at some point during my drive I look in the mirror and it is back down. When I press it a second time though it does seem to stay up for the duration of my drive and when I shut the car off. When I start my drive again at some point once again it does drop back down by itself.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:12 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
First off stop pressing the button - you shouldn't ever have to do that. The spoiler is automatic - when the car needs it to go up, it does. The only reason for the button is so when you are cleaning / detailing it you can get to the parts "inside". That being said, what did your dealer say?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Hey, thanks but your response is pointless and doesn't help in any way so better off to not even waste your time typing something so useless.

Originally Posted by RonCT
First off stop pressing the button - you shouldn't ever have to do that. The spoiler is automatic - when the car needs it to go up, it does. The only reason for the button is so when you are cleaning / detailing it you can get to the parts "inside". That being said, what did your dealer say?

Old 10-07-2009, 05:58 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not following you. You appear to be a new user with just 4 posts and perhaps not much ownership history with Porsche. You asked a question and I gave you a detailed, honest answer from somebody that's owned many Porsches including the 997 platform since 2006. It sounded like you felt you had to press the button to get the spoiler to operate, and that's not the case - it's automatic up and down and if not, then you should ask the dealer what's up instead of here at a forum.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:21 PM
Ahhh I get you now, my bad, sounded like u were being a smart *** with your answer so I took offense. I know the Spoiler is automatic but I am trying to keep it up manually as I think the others who responded understood that.
Thanks though.

I'm not following you. You appear to be a new user with just 4 posts and perhaps not much ownership history with Porsche. You asked a question and I gave you a detailed, honest answer from somebody that's owned many Porsches including the 997 platform since 2006. It sounded like you felt you had to press the button to get the spoiler to operate, and that's not the case - it's automatic up and down and if not, then you should ask the dealer what's up instead of here at a forum.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:07 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Disagree, as soon as I start her up, I put on my sport chrono, PASM and raise the spoiler. The car looks bas *** w/ it up all the time.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Why does my electric spoiler go down ?