997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The day I've long dreaded - someone slashed my convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:36 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Terrible !!!! You'll get it fixed but the emotional healing is something which takes time . In 05 I actually sold a Porsche and and opted for 18 months in a more anonymous 330i which I had no worries . Xenon light theft was rampant back then and BTW even on our current cars if parked unnattended the lights can be taken .

It's for that reason that even if my car is outside .. it's being watched . If not by a securiity guard then via camera . Not that it matters too much because vandalism ranks low on the totem pole of criminal stupidity .

Currently I won't own a Porsche without a another car which I can worry less over .
Maybe it's that i love these cars so much that I can't undrstand why anyone woild destroy it in a senseless pointless act .

I speculate that people who do thse types of things walk around complaining about how difficult it is for them to have these things . It's that "poor me" behavior which actually is their biggest downfall at attaining them because as they play the victim to the drama which they create .. they also reveal their unhappiness and limit their chances of success . Ironically they often shout out the word "RESPECT" !!!!

How can anyone respect them ? How can anyone view them and their behavior as anything but pathetic ?

No matter how many roofs are damaged .. you can find comfort that you never have to live in their shoes.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Terrible !!!!

How can anyone respect them ? How can anyone view them and their behavior as anything but pathetic ?
Just some days ago 4 white trash teenagers in NH went into random house and killed a woman and slashed a throat of 12 year old girl just for making some fun out of killing a human being and you say it is horrible if some ******* cuts a 911 car?

It`s just a sad truth - liberal values do prosper only if each and every person around is an educated liberal. To keep aggressive trash of whatever skin color under control you have to repress them so hard so trash that cannot comprehend purpose and value of a law would at least be afraid of that law.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
That sucks, love to catch one of these people in the act of vandalizing a vehicle.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:20 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
That sucks, love to catch one of these people in the act of vandalizing a vehicle.
it`s a loose-loose situation for you and me.
so you catch him and beat the crap out of him and police gets you - jail for us would be a disaster and life destroyer event contrary to scum that roams those streets and goes back and forth from jail back to those streets. i gave up any vigilante ideas long time ago, in this society it simply does not work. times of 'trespassers will be shot, survivors will be shot again' are long gone. private property has no sacred value anymore, unless you are rich enough to live in a gated community and isolate yourself and your family from electoral masses.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:26 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Actually, you can use enough force to hold onto the person until the cops get there. Besides the cops hate people like this as well, they are likely to believe any story of the guy tried to run, or he hit me first story that I could come up with. I would imagine the problem with some cities, is more guns, around, and then people start shooting each other, unless you are a drug dealer in Vancouver, it is pretty safe for the general population.

Old 10-07-2009, 09:46 AM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
Get it fixed and take a little more care when parking in the street. This too will pass. Vandalism for vandalism's sake has always been an element of the human condition residing in the chromosomes and not the judicial system of the moment. Rape, pillage, and plunder significantly predate the Constitution.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:24 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
10+ years ago, I lived at 480 Mass Ave....right across from Wally's. That's a pretty common area for random vandalism. Plus, there are some people that just love to hate symbols of wealth (i.e. your shiny new 4S cabrio). My roomies car was vandalized b/c her car (BMW) alarm kept going off. Someone used soap to write a nasty warning note on her front windscreen (I thought it was amusing at at the time) and after another week of her alarm...someone dropped a cinder block through it.

Also, the neighborhood's wildcard (drunk students) are capable of random acts of unkindness, too. When I was in college, I lived next to 'CrossRoads' on Beacon & Mass Ave. From my 3rd story window, I was entertained by a drunk guy who "hopped" (from car-to-car) all the way down Beacon Street to Charles Gate. He was indiscriminate in his destruction. He must have jumped on 2 Million worth of cars, before he slipped off the last one. I've also seen the @#$$# bike messengers drag their combi locks over a parade of mirrors near BU. Good stuff.

For a beautiful car like yours, have you considered renting a back lot spot. It's tough to just accept that city livingwill take its toll on your car.

BTW - I now keep my cabrio safely tucked away in a garage (metrowest)...but still consider my self a city boy. I don't leave anything in plain view in the car. I've been broken into 3 times in Boston. (twice on Marlborough St & once near BC.)

-M

Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
Lamentably, it was in front of my condo on Mass Ave in the South End. For those of you not from Beantown, Mass Ave is Boston's busiest street. I have garage parking but I usually only park it at night and typically leave it out front if I'm working from home or in between errands.

I don't believe theft was the motive (I am meticulous about not leaving anything enticing in the car) so I think it was purely a malicious, vindictive bit of vandalism. In hindsight, I guess I'm not terribly surprised but after parking my S4 cab on the street (day and night) for 3 years straight, I was lulled into thinking the Porsche would be OK by day . . . I guess its more of a target than the Audi.

And I agree with those of you who said that getting the top cut is not as bad as getting it keyed. The top can be replaced but getting a car keyed down to the metal can only be repaired . . . as far as I'm concerned, that's never as good over the long-term.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:51 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
duct tape and call insurance.. going to be several thousand for sure.. 4-5 my guess with all the fancy layers in there for sound deadening.. and the install probably 8-12 hours @ 100/hr porsche rate.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:13 PM
globalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond reputeglobalm3 has a reputation beyond repute
This is why I love Texas! If you can only catch the dirt bag

Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
And the beauty is that you'll soon be paying for the vandal's health car as he likely doesn't have any... Sorry to hear about it.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:57 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Very sorry to hear about your car. I lived in BOS some time back and it's a tough place for cars - particularly very nice ones such as yours. Weather, roads, bad drivers and now vandals. GL getting it put back together. And, despite the (insurance offset) expense, cab tops are replacements. Keying your car is forever.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mshanler
My roomies car was vandalized b/c her car (BMW) alarm kept going off. Someone used soap to write a nasty warning note on her front windscreen (I thought it was amusing at at the time) and after another week of her alarm...someone dropped a cinder block through it.

I'll admit that in my lifetime I've had to live with other peoples cars in apartment parking lots with alarms that went off at the slightest breeze or dog bark it seemed. I know thinking several times at 2am listening to that standard litany of sounds, "If that thing goes off one more time, I'll give it something to cry about".

Was the alarm system a factory BMW alarm or one of the aftermarket types?

Old 10-08-2009, 02:44 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I love Boston, they broke into my kids Infinity QX4 on Newbury St to take his old Magellen, he had forgotten to remove in broad daylight.
Smash the drivers side window and grab the device..

Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I can't say that I'd want to want to own a Pcar in any big city. Too many opportunities for what happened to your Cab to happen to mine. Worrying about something like that happening to my car would ruin the whole ownership experience for me. Besides, most big cities aren't what I'd call conducive to driving a Porsche so I'm not sure I'd see the point of owning one. Maybe you need a house in the country where you could park your PCar and visit her on weekends.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:36 PM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
After I expended much effort to park in a safe place someone backed his ford bronco into my fender. Yuck! I watched it happen.

Attached Images  

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The day I've long dreaded - someone slashed my convertible top