997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

The day I've long dreaded - someone slashed my convertible top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 03:01 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
The day I've long dreaded - someone slashed my convertible top

In the 6 months I've had my 2009 C4 cab I've had the worst car luck I have ever had with a vehicle (fuel pump failure, two flat tires in 5 days, drive off assist failure, etc.). Now the one thing I've dreaded in 4 years (3 years with an Audi S4 cab) of soft top ownership has occurred, my soft top was cut yesterday and now I need to replace it.

So, my questions are:

1 - Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost? I am sure insurance will cover it but I am curious nonetheless.

2 - Do any of you know a good way to patch this (the cut is only about 2 inches) while I wait for the new top to be installed? I don't have a second car at the moment and rain is is in the forecast . . . so, I'm thinking that I need to patch it. As much as I don't want to take the super ghetto route and throw some electrical tape up there (sigh), I may have to do that.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:05 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Destructive envy is growing. I feel your loss.

If I were you I simply would cover the cut with duct tape while waiting for the replacement.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
This sucks, sorry. First, insurance should definitely cover it and should be covered under your comprehensive NOT collision side.

As for the patch. I would recommend the duck tape as well, but seeing as this might take a while to have it replaced, you can get a needle and some thread they use to patch sailboat sails and temporarily patch it this way too. You might even find a better all weather tape to use from a boat place as well.

Sorry this happened, best of luck. Keep us updated.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:09 PM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
wow sorry to hear this. I agree maybe use some black duct tape while u figure out what to do.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:35 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Im sorry to hear about your lost. Cant believe people would do something like this?

Old 10-06-2009, 03:39 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
When I hear of this kind of mindless vandalism, I start thinking it is time to fill in the shallow end of the gene pool. Hope your roof repair goes well, and that your bad luck with this fine car ends now.

Old 10-06-2009, 03:41 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
As a fellow Cab owner, I've had this fear as well. Sorry to hear about this. Will be interested to hear what the cost of replacement is as well (even though your insurance will pick up the tab).

Old 10-06-2009, 03:45 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
That is truly disgusting. I'm very concerned that as times continue to get tougher there will be more spite towards people with nice things. Very sorry to hear that. Hope this is the last problem you have...

Old 10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
genew is infamous around these parts
Hey Shawn..not that it matters but where was your cab parked??

Old 10-06-2009, 04:13 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Thanks everyone for your support, I appreciate the sentiment and as many of you have said, I also hope this is the last bit of bad luck I have with the car.

I just found out the cost for the parts:
1 - Outer fabric cover: $2525.00
2 - Headliner (no damage on my car BTW): $1620.00

Actually, quite a bit less than I expected and now I am very curious as to how the rear glass is integrated into the top. I say that because I would have expected that (the glass being a part of the top) alone would have made the entire thing much more expensive. I figure its 4-6 hours of labor so total cost to replace it all ~ $5k.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:02 PM
type997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant futuretype997 has a brilliant future
Wow, I hate to hear that but don't know what is worse. Cut top or keyed paint?

Sure hope you have better luck from here on out.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:35 PM
Bara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant futureBara has a brilliant future
was the motive, did they try to break in or just plain mischief?

Last edited by Bara; 10-06-2009 at 08:49 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ShawnBoston
In the 6 months I've had my 2009 C4 cab I've had the worst car luck I have ever had with a vehicle (fuel pump failure, two flat tires in 5 days, drive off assist failure, etc.). Now the one thing I've dreaded in 4 years (3 years with an Audi S4 cab) of soft top ownership has occurred, my soft top was cut yesterday and now I need to replace it.

So, my questions are:

1 - Does anyone have any idea how much this will cost? I am sure insurance will cover it but I am curious nonetheless.

2 - Do any of you know a good way to patch this (the cut is only about 2 inches) while I wait for the new top to be installed? I don't have a second car at the moment and rain is is in the forecast . . . so, I'm thinking that I need to patch it. As much as I don't want to take the super ghetto route and throw some electrical tape up there (sigh), I may have to do that.
Where have you left it in Boston to get it cut?

Old 10-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Lamentably, it was in front of my condo on Mass Ave in the South End. For those of you not from Beantown, Mass Ave is Boston's busiest street. I have garage parking but I usually only park it at night and typically leave it out front if I'm working from home or in between errands.

I don't believe theft was the motive (I am meticulous about not leaving anything enticing in the car) so I think it was purely a malicious, vindictive bit of vandalism. In hindsight, I guess I'm not terribly surprised but after parking my S4 cab on the street (day and night) for 3 years straight, I was lulled into thinking the Porsche would be OK by day . . . I guess its more of a target than the Audi.

And I agree with those of you who said that getting the top cut is not as bad as getting it keyed. The top can be replaced but getting a car keyed down to the metal can only be repaired . . . as far as I'm concerned, that's never as good over the long-term.

Old 10-06-2009, 07:55 PM
avmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to allavmike is a name known to all
I won't ever park my CAB with the top down-even for a minute for this very reason. I see folks park expensive cab's with the top down in South Florida all the time. I dread what some <bleep> would do to the full leather .

My condolences. However, I too would rather have a slashed top than have my car keyed. I'm much better with things that only take money to fix, than things that can never be 100% restored.

Good luck!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The day I've long dreaded - someone slashed my convertible top