997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I found the legendary detailer named "El Chino"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by motosport3
The pictures I see are fairly grainy and like others pointed out are camera phone like quality. I understand that you may have settings made local to your computer to help you read, but that shouldn't affect the quality of pics at all.

Not sure what kind of point and shoot you have, but if you get yourself a Canon SD870IS with the 3" LCD or their latest IS digicam, you will get better quality pictures without any need to tweak any of the settings.
Nikon coolpix . I bought the camera when I got my turbo . I never had a camera before. I am sure you guys can tell.

Old 10-08-2009, 12:20 AM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Nikon coolpix . I bought the camera when I got my turbo . I never had a camera before. I am sure you guys can tell.
Actually the pictures you took aren't bad IMO, just grainy . I'm no photo/camera expert myself, but w/ my Canon, the main thing is you can get clear pictures at minimum right out of the box and it really really is easy to use.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:35 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
I would think almost any camera made in the past 5 years could do a decent shot in the daytime. So something must me set up badly on the camera. The pictures look like cell phone shots - what makes a cell phone pic look bad:

1 - low resolution of sensor (not enough pixels) - setting a camera to store pics in the smallest size could cause something similar from severe JPEG compression

2 - small lens aperture/not enough light - low light causes the sensor to work harder and at a higher ISO contributing to noise. Setting a camera to a high ISO (800 or higher) might cause similar problems especially on smaller cameras

If there is an AUTO mode for the camera, it should do fine in daylight. However, AUTO usually affects picture capture and not always storage - make sure the images are being captured and stored by the camera at the highest possible JPEG quality - some cameras just call it "Large" or "Fine". My guess from looking at these shots is that maximum JPEG compression was used and possibly a very high ISO setting - looks like 1600 or more really, but I'd be surprised if a Coolpix even would let you do that.

However, the metadata in the interior shot, for example, is: NIKON Coolpix S6, F3, 1/30sec, ISO-50, Flash Auto. That all seems fine, so it must be a JPEG compression problem - can't imagine what else.

Last edited by stevepow; 10-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I'm in Miami too. Where can I find this guy? What would he charge? I am guessing a few hundred bucks?

Old 10-08-2009, 12:55 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by tromero
I'm in Miami too. Where can I find this guy? What would he charge? I am guessing a few hundred bucks?
few $100s ?!?

do I understand it right this 'detailing' is essentially just a rubbing clear washed car with a piece of cloth?

Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by utkinpol
few $100s ?!?

do I understand it right this 'detailing' is essentially just a rubbing clear washed car with a piece of cloth?
Sure, and building a Porsche is just welding some metal together.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:19 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by stevepow
Sure, and building a Porsche is just welding some metal together.
actually, essentially, it is exactly so.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
I would think almost any camera made in the past 5 years could do a decent shot in the daytime. So something must me set up badly on the camera. The pictures look like cell phone shots - what makes a cell phone pic look bad:

1 - low resolution of sensor (not enough pixels) - setting a camera to store pics in the smallest size could cause something similar from severe JPEG compression

2 - small lens aperture/not enough light - low light causes the sensor to work harder and at a higher ISO contributing to noise. Setting a camera to a high ISO (800 or higher) might cause similar problems especially on smaller cameras

If there is an AUTO mode for the camera, it should do fine in daylight. However, AUTO usually affects picture capture and not always storage - make sure the images are being captured and stored by the camera at the highest possible JPEG quality - some cameras just call it "Large" or "Fine". My guess from looking at these shots is that maximum JPEG compression was used and possibly a very high ISO setting - looks like 1600 or more really, but I'd be surprised if a Coolpix even would let you do that.

However, the metadata in the interior shot, for example, is: NIKON Coolpix S6, F3, 1/30sec, ISO-50, Flash Auto. That all seems fine, so it must be a JPEG compression problem - can't imagine what else.
The car will be dirty by the time I figure this out but next time it makes it to Chino I am going to contact a profesional photographer.

Old 10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
It really depends on the condition of your car. For instance my Turbo was a garage queen but had a few swirls which he removed. The M3 needed more work and he's now going on two days with the car .

When the car comes back it looks BETTER than the day you bought it .

Chino is officially on my Porsche payroll . On top of being very professional he's a nice guy too which makes things easy .

I'll be glad to PM you his number .

Old 10-08-2009, 01:50 PM
motosport3 is infamous around these partsmotosport3 is infamous around these parts
few $100s ?!?

There is a lot more to detailing than just that. There is a myriad of things to do to preserve the paint. You can check out Moe's posts in the detailing section for more detail. On a black car, there's a lot more overhead in keeping it looking great.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by motosport3
There is a lot more to detailing than just that. There is a myriad of things to do to preserve the paint. You can check out Moe's posts in the detailing section for more detail. On a black car, there's a lot more overhead in keeping it looking great.
No doubt it`s so.
I would rather donate several $100s to charity than to waste it on a 'chico' polishing my car that will be dirty again in a week or so anyway, but it`s just me. From other perspective, it is all relative, spending half of grand or more on a case of wine may look as a ridiculous thing to somebody else perhaps...

Last edited by utkinpol; 10-08-2009 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:23 PM
No doubt it`s so.
I would rather donate several $100s to charity than to waste it on a 'chico' polishing my car that will be dirty again in a week or so anyway, but it`s just me. From other perspective, it is all relative, spending half of grand or more on a case of wine may look as a ridiculous thing to somebody else perhaps...
Agreed on the front that money can always be better used for more meaningful causes and is definitely subjective.

The detail normally includes a proper wax job and that layer of protection for your paint is a must!

Not sure if you've ever had a black car, but every flaw is magnified compared to other colors.

I'd love to save a buck too on these things and I've tried my hand at detailing my past black cars with an orbital before w/ not great results. When I get the 997 detailed I'll probably go w/ a pro and observe how they do it to learn.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:46 PM
No doubt it`s so.
It's just the cost of the toy and charity contributions are a different topic. Look one can take the bus and give thosands to charity and not even buy a Porsche but you did buy a car. So what what one person deems as a "waste" someone else may not.

i like to keep my things clean and well kept . I am sure i could mow my own lawn , clean my own house, wax my own car , cut my own hair , and cook all my meals .. but these personalized services that some might view as luxury I don't see them as a waste . I view them as necessities so I can spend more time doing meaningful things like posting

Old 10-08-2009, 03:08 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !

Maybe this one for a few hundred bucks

Old 10-08-2009, 06:03 PM
I just got back my M3 . Wow. This car was in very different condition than my Turbo . It's got 20K miles and is driven daily . It is parked outside often and in construction areas , He made it look BETTER tahn when I bought it.

I know you guys don't like my pictures but here goes.

Attached Images     

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I found the legendary detailer named "El Chino"