997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is PS2 tires ready for track?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2009, 10:35 PM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Is PS2 tires ready for track?

Newbie here with C2S pdk PS2 tires. I am plannig to track the car. Question for the experts here.

Are PS2 tires ready(qualified) for the track? I am still going to drive the car in town here and there. Will I damage or wore out the PS2 tires on the track quickly to the point I can not drive on the freeway? i.e. How many track event I can expect before PS2 worn out? Don't I need a set of street tires and track tires? Thanks for your advise.

Old 10-07-2009, 12:21 PM
drspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud ofdrspeed has much to be proud of
probably not ideal

I haven't tracked my car, so this is just my educated guess, but I think that you can get a dedicated competition tire for less money that performs better on track. It depends on your specifics. How much track time, do you have other wheels, and will the car be trailered or driven?

I'm pretty sure the PS2s are designed for road use and at $500 a tire, it seems like an expensive square peg in a round hole to track them for any extended period.

Pirelli and Michelin make competition tires in the correct size.

Good luck.

DRP

Old 10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
As a first time driver PS2's will be fine. As you push the car harder you will find that they heat up and become very ineffective. I was running on a set in the spring, it was wet and cool and then dried up and got a little warmer out, I ended up melting the tires to the point I had liquid rubber on the inside of my wheel wells.

Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
It also depends on how hard you're cornering. Even with a decent amount of camber and high enough pressures, I destroy the outside of PS2s in no time at the track. Buying a trailer with a second set of wheels and R-comps will pay for itself in a couple years at this rate.

Old 10-07-2009, 05:02 PM
RonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond reputeRonCT has a reputation beyond repute
Read my very detailed answer at the other forum you posted at. Lots of info...

Old 10-07-2009, 05:45 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
For a beginner PS2's are awesome tires. They are safe, predictable and give you lots of feedback when pushed. You will be able to run on PS2's depending how fast you advance up the ranks for a while.

Old 10-07-2009, 06:02 PM
mxk116 has a spectacular aura aboutmxk116 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by mdrums
For a beginner PS2's are awesome tires. They are safe, predictable and give you lots of feedback when pushed. You will be able to run on PS2's depending how fast you advance up the ranks for a while.
I could not have said it better myself. I returned this weekend from the NOR PCA event at Mid Ohio. One of my students was driving his Cayman S on PS2s. Car ran great, he got plenty of feedback and dropped his lap times each run group. One of the biggest mistakes I know of is going to R compound tires before one learns car control techniques. R compound is too unforgiving for a beginner and does not provide the audible and seat of the pants feedback of a good street tire like the PS2.

No doubt the track will tear up street tires prematurely and if you care to invest in a second set of wheels for tires you want to use on the track I would still recommend the PS2 (or a similar high quality street non-R compound tire) at the outset. In the future once you get competent then you have a second set of wheels for R compound. Just my 2 cents.

Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Advise from all above has been pretty much dead-on so far......

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-07-2009, 08:13 PM
echere88 is infamous around these parts
Smile

Thanks for all the advice. I will start learning how to drive with the PS2..