997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Repainting the hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:34 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
super sick...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:55 AM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
That hood looks amazing! Exactly something I've always wanted! How much is it going for, if you have any info on it? Can the look be applied on a stock hood?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I could ask locally about the hood but maybe one of the site sponsors would already know . I estimate that its about 4 -5 grand . I feel that the older Porsche 993 hood is much more aggressive looking than the current style and the only car I've seen with something similar is the Gemballa . Even if you simply fixed the bumper , saved your stock hood and did a very simple (small) Techart type one rear spoiler --it would change the entire look of the car in a very subtle understated way .

Old 10-13-2009, 11:26 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Verde
Yep, that's daunting. I'll pass. But before I start pursuing the help of an expert, I'll try to post a picture to get some impressions of what the problem is, and whether it's worth fixing. I am by no means a paint expert but I constantly try to improve my detailing skills and it's slow going. But I don't think it's orange peel. It's more like very pointed and discretely separated dots/imperfections in the finish.
But thanks for the help, and talking me down from considering handling this myself.
I also worry that when an expert takes a close look at it and does some measurements, I'll find that it was repainted.
You're welcome.

After making sure the paint is 100% clean with a clay bar, you can then examine the surface carefully and see what's going on. I found an orbital polisher to be very slow in removing paint imperfections. Very slow. Even with the Optimum line of compounds/polishes that's supposed to work well with an orbital, I needed to use a rotary polisher and the Hyper Compound to remove the 2000 grit sanding marks and then I went back to the orbital and gentler compounds/polishes to finish the job.

You may get lucky and a pro detailer might be able to fix your car in a few hours? It's worth a stop by a detailing shop to ask.

btw, here are a couple pics. One thing to note is this is a single-stage paint (no clear coat) and when I was wet sanding it, I stayed away from the edges of the panels to avoid sanding through the paint.

After painting:

Starting the wetsanding (takes a long time):

After a very long time polishing (no wax yet):

Cheers,
Allan