997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Repainting the hood?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 11:54 PM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Repainting the hood?

After a nice platinum care from my local dealer, my car looked shiny and new. The next day I had to drive on a rainy night, when I came back, my front hood and bumper took a big toll and its full of stone chipping the paint.

Would it be wise to have the front hood repainted all over, plus the front bumper?

I'm thinking of the resale value and if they could measure the thickness of the paint of the aluminum hood or the plastic bumper?

Than have the red car go into another platinum care with a clear bra this time for sure!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:33 AM
155mph is infamous around these parts
Dr. Color Chip.....

Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive
After a nice platinum care from my local dealer, my car looked shiny and new. The next day I had to drive on a rainy night, when I came back, my front hood and bumper took a big toll and its full of stone chipping the paint.

Would it be wise to have the front hood repainted all over, plus the front bumper?

I'm thinking of the resale value and if they could measure the thickness of the paint of the aluminum hood or the plastic bumper?

Than have the red car go into another platinum care with a clear bra this time for sure!

Old 10-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
I 2nd the Dr. Color Chip suggestion. I use it on all my cars. Top Quality, cheap, no aggravation. It's so good I don't bother with clear bras anymore.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:22 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
If your primary concern is resale, just document the facts: show pics of the chips, save receipt for repaint, and I'd hope any prospective independent buyer would appreciate the care you took. Just beware that if you sell to a dealer, on a trade, I'd expect they will most likely ding you for it, as they are always looking to make the squeeze.
CATTMAN

Old 10-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Pardon if this is a slight detour to this thread, but it is somewhat germane and seemed to be better than starting a new one...
I'd like to learn a bit about 'color sanding' (I believe that's the term). As I vaguely understand it, it's a very light wet sanding process to level the finish of a paint job.
The reason I ask is that when I purchased my used car, the glass, hood and (less so) top of the front and rear fenders were subtly pitted. I didn't realize it until the car had been shipped and closely examined in my garage - though it's more obvious in bright sun. It's as if someone took a quick/light sand blast to the car. I ultimately replaced the windshield because at low sun-angle lighting, the view was somewhat diffused.
On the paint, I've used a variety of mild compounds with a PC machine. Though better, I can still see it and assume that if this was a black car, it would be quite noticeable.
So, I'm considering a more aggressive process and hear that color (wet?) sanding is it. Is it a cure for this problem? Is it something a lay person can do? Is it a pro-only job and if so, now long and how much should it cost.
Again, apologies for the detour.
Thanks,
V

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Verde
Pardon if this is a slight detour to this thread, but it is somewhat germane and seemed to be better than starting a new one...
I'd like to learn a bit about 'color sanding' (I believe that's the term). As I vaguely understand it, it's a very light wet sanding process to level the finish of a paint job.
The reason I ask is that when I purchased my used car, the glass, hood and (less so) top of the front and rear fenders were subtly pitted. I didn't realize it until the car had been shipped and closely examined in my garage - though it's more obvious in bright sun. It's as if someone took a quick/light sand blast to the car. I ultimately replaced the windshield because at low sun-angle lighting, the view was somewhat diffused.
On the paint, I've used a variety of mild compounds with a PC machine. Though better, I can still see it and assume that if this was a black car, it would be quite noticeable.
So, I'm considering a more aggressive process and hear that color (wet?) sanding is it. Is it a cure for this problem? Is it something a lay person can do? Is it a pro-only job and if so, now long and how much should it cost.
Again, apologies for the detour.
Thanks,
V
Wetsanding should always be left to a pro. The reason being, for you to purchase the proper polisher, paint gauge, pads, polishes, etc. you're looking into thousands of dollars of equipment. The paint gauge alone can set you back $700-3000 depending on which one you get. Are you sure that it's not just scratches and hazing from improper care from previous owner? Can you post a picture?

Old 10-11-2009, 11:10 AM
Premium Sponsor
MoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond reputeMoeMistry has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by eatbreathdrive

As long as you document why you did it, take it to a reputable shop that specializes in porsches, you shouldn't have a problem. A skilled painter can easily match the orange peel and the thickness of paint to factory. Then, get a clear film installed by a reputable shop. I think Detailing Dynamics may be in your neck of the woods. Call them and talk to Matt or Eddie.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:23 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
As MoeMistry said, leave it to a pro.

I'm far from a pro, but I have painted a few cars and earlier this year did a thorough wet-sanding and polishing of a 914. It really needed that to correct my mediocre paint job.

Not sure if you're seeing real pitting/scratches or orange peel in the paint job. Your paint will consist of two layers - a color coat and a clear coat on top. If there is orange peel on the color coat and you want it corrected, then you'll need to sand through the clear, wet sand the color (if there is thick enough paint) and then re-clear the car.

If the orange peel (or similar flaws) are only on the clear coat, then you could potentially fix it yourself, but there is danger of sanding through the clear coat and then you'll have an uneven finish on your paint that will really annoy you and you'll have to get it re-cleared.

If you want to try it yourself on an inconspicuous area (and if polishing isn't fixing the problem or taking way too long), get some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a proper semi-rigid sanding block, let the paper soak in water for at least 20 mins, and constantly rewet it while gently - gently - sanding the flawed area. Just a little bit at a time. Wipe the area clean and see how it looks after a half dozen strokes. If it's orange peel, you'll see little round areas of dull (sanded) clear coat surrounded by glossy, untouched areas. This is showing you the height difference of the clear coat and how uneven it is. If you want perfection, carefully sand the clear until it's all dull - but no more because you'll risk sanding through the clear coat and you'll be screwed.

When you are done sanding your car, break out the heavy compound and a rotary polisher (or a few days with an orbital ) and start your polishing. Once again, be careful to not ruin the paint job. A rotary polisher in novice hands can do some damage.

If this sounds a bit daunting (and it probably should), leave it to a pro.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, that's daunting. I'll pass. But before I start pursuing the help of an expert, I'll try to post a picture to get some impressions of what the problem is, and whether it's worth fixing. I am by no means a paint expert but I constantly try to improve my detailing skills and it's slow going. But I don't think it's orange peel. It's more like very pointed and discretely separated dots/imperfections in the finish.
But thanks for the help, and talking me down from considering handling this myself.
I also worry that when an expert takes a close look at it and does some measurements, I'll find that it was repainted.
Originally Posted by AllanJ
As MoeMistry said, leave it to a pro.

I'm far from a pro, but I have painted a few cars and earlier this year did a thorough wet-sanding and polishing of a 914. It really needed that to correct my mediocre paint job.

Not sure if you're seeing real pitting/scratches or orange peel in the paint job. Your paint will consist of two layers - a color coat and a clear coat on top. If there is orange peel on the color coat and you want it corrected, then you'll need to sand through the clear, wet sand the color (if there is thick enough paint) and then re-clear the car.

If the orange peel (or similar flaws) are only on the clear coat, then you could potentially fix it yourself, but there is danger of sanding through the clear coat and then you'll have an uneven finish on your paint that will really annoy you and you'll have to get it re-cleared.

If you want to try it yourself on an inconspicuous area (and if polishing isn't fixing the problem or taking way too long), get some 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and a proper semi-rigid sanding block, let the paper soak in water for at least 20 mins, and constantly rewet it while gently - gently - sanding the flawed area. Just a little bit at a time. Wipe the area clean and see how it looks after a half dozen strokes. If it's orange peel, you'll see little round areas of dull (sanded) clear coat surrounded by glossy, untouched areas. This is showing you the height difference of the clear coat and how uneven it is. If you want perfection, carefully sand the clear until it's all dull - but no more because you'll risk sanding through the clear coat and you'll be screwed.

When you are done sanding your car, break out the heavy compound and a rotary polisher (or a few days with an orbital ) and start your polishing. Once again, be careful to not ruin the paint job. A rotary polisher in novice hands can do some damage.

If this sounds a bit daunting (and it probably should), leave it to a pro.

Last edited by Verde; 10-11-2009 at 03:02 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-11-2009, 05:51 PM
mjfloyd1 is infamous around these parts
Painting the bumpers is OK - plastic bumpers are very rarely exactly the same color as the painted metal parts. The hood I wouldn't do because of the concern that when you trade it or sell it, it will almost always be detectable and the first thought, no matter what you say is that the car was in an accident. A friend has a 99 911 with the same concern and the owner of the best body shop in town told him the same as I am telling you. I'd either do Dr. colorchip or have it professionally airbrushed.

If you show someone pictures of chips in the paint on the hood, they will assume that the car was wrecked on the day after the pictures were taken. That's what I'd think.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:56 AM
Banned
eatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant futureeatbreathdrive has a brilliant future
Thanks a lot guys for taking the time to read and reply, I really appreciate it!
I'll be busy tonight after work but I think tomorrow I can take some photos and show the damages. I've talked with a Porsche dealer here, I think I will go with hood/bumper repaint (take photos, before and after, have my papers done at Porsche -for resale), then a platinum care and a clear bra, so this wont happen again.
Thank you all again!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:14 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Try to find the local delearship, and the guy they use, i hear they up it to $2200, when the guy only charges $800., shop around...

Old 10-12-2009, 01:15 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Aesthetically I feel the repaint is a great idea. In terms of resale I recommend to leave the scratch and express to the potentail buyer that you did not paint it to rule out any doubts of more serious bodywork.

BTW --there is a third choice .
You couild replace both the bumper (with a gt3 bumper) and the hood with a Gemballa hood . Take a look just at the hood.
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...che-997-a.html

Old 10-12-2009, 01:19 AM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by yrralis1
Aesthetically I feel the repaint is a great idea. In terms of resale I recommend to leave the scratch and express to the potentail buyer that you did not paint it to rule out any doubts of more serious bodywork.

You couild replace both the bumper (with a gt3 bumper) and the hood with a Gemballa hood . Take a look just at the hood.
Pretty hood! Expensive though!!!

Jason

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by yrralis1

that 997tt is sickkkkkkkk.....damn....that looks like it is doing 200mph standing still....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Repainting the hood?