997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stock throttle pedal extensions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:06 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
In all seriousness, I would like to begin practicing this method. I get the feeling the left/right rolling is easier/quicker to learn than traditional heal/toe. Can one of the coaches (Mike or Allan) comment on any pros cons to each method or are they just personal preference?

Old 10-14-2009, 01:13 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
It comes down to what ever works for you, the reality of it is you want the car to be as stable as can be. If you can't twist your foot to get into this position easily, then try the side by side.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:09 PM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
BTW, I know Allan personally, so I can get away with this kind of stuff...sorry Al!
Get away with it, sure, but about that beer you're buying....I'm now flying in a case of lovely nectar from Prague and I've sent the bill to you.

I've done both styles (toe on brakes and pivot heel on gas, as well as left side/right side rolling technique) on my GT3 and both work. For me, I found the left/right rolling style to be more predictable under track conditions so I'm now doing that style exclusively. When you use the traditional heel/toe style your entire foot comes off the floor and then when you place your heel on the floor afterward, it may be out of position and this might cause some frantic moments at the track. It can work very well, but you may need more practice for it to become natural.

Whatever method you use, definitely practice on the street first. You may find that your shoes are too narrow (and then you'll need to order some clown shoes like me ) so you'll need wider shoes or those extensions to do the left/right rolling style.

Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the info guys...I will practice!

Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
This post just cost me a Rennline pedal set! lol

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AllanJ
snip...
... muscle memory is being programmed with that style of braking and when I need a throttle blip all I need to do is roll my foot.
+1 muscle memory is key!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Scott997
This post just cost me a Rennline pedal set! lol

excellent..

which set? rubber or perforated..extendors also?

Old 10-15-2009, 06:23 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I have the rubber ***** with the extnesion, in the black finish. The rubber works well, but the black finish is wearing off pretty quick. I would do silver if I were doing it again.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:26 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
OK, to sum it up - a throttle pedal with extensions makes it easier to heel toe with modern rolling technique or traditonal heel & toe.

If you don't like easier, don't get a pedal with extensions - just try to figure out how to twist and contort enough to reach the throttle while still on the brake. Then, use lot's of practice and muscle memory to repeat that contorted position in the future while downshifting at high speed as you approach a hairy corner that you should be focusing on instead of worrying about how to reach the throttle while still on the brake.

Otherwise - stop obsessing - that's my job. I obsessed over this in May, looked at all the choices available and went with the Ultimate pedal and have been very pleased. Just pick your favorite looking pedal from the links below. What other performance enhancing modification can you think of that costs less than $100 and takes minutes to install (may be a good thread topic)?

Just pick and buy your favorite from one of these pedal links - it is pretty much the list of currently available choices (for rolling technique pick a pedal with an extension at the top or the full left side). You'll be be glad you did. (OK, you will still need to practice, but it will be much easier, leaving you more time to focus on other aspects of the track and your driving.)

Rennline - http://www.rennline.com/Gas-pedal-Ru...fo/P71/SILVER/
Ultimate - http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalo...?cPath=135_180
Tech Art & EVO - http://www.sharkwerks.com/products.p...&type=Interior

Last edited by obsessed; 10-15-2009 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:31 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
excellent..

which set? rubber or perforated..extendors also?
I purchased the Rubber grip with Red extension. Thanks for asking because I actually had my order wrong and realized when I went to look.
So its P70 with the extension.