997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Stock throttle pedal extensions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:51 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Stock throttle pedal extensions?

Hi,

After struggling with heel&toe again at last auto-x - my heel was hitting carpet in 4 of 5 times instead of gas as full leg weight was on brakes and in this natural position gas pedal was simply not reachable for me. Only solution I see is to put extensions on throttle pedal or go with adjustable throttle pedal to move it higher. Not sure.

Problems with that thing are - first of all, I want those extensions only for racing events, in normal conditions I can do heel&toe just fine. Plus looking at rennline pictures it seems that most regular shoes I have and pretty much all formal shoes with wide sole will have a problem fitting aside of gas and last thing I want is to accidentally push throttle when intending to slam on brakes in traffic.

So, my question is, really - are there any (easy) removable throttle pedal extensions that could be mounted on or above stock throttle pedal?

If such product does not exist in known universe for some reason - how difficult is to remove those extensions from rennline pedal after it was mounted? Is is a PITA job which requires complete removal of the pedal from car or relatively simple to do? I cannot say from the pictures they posted there but looked into my car and there is no much space there behind the pedal to fit screwdriver there, not to mention to get into that spot.

http://www.rennline.com/Throttle-Ext...nfo/PE70_71HT/

Old 10-14-2009, 06:13 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Hi,

After struggling with heel&toe again at last auto-x - my heel was hitting carpet in 4 of 5 times instead of gas as full leg weight was on brakes and in this natural position gas pedal was simply not reachable for me. Only solution I see is to put extensions on throttle pedal or go with adjustable throttle pedal to move it higher. Not sure.

Problems with that thing are - first of all, I want those extensions only for racing events, in normal conditions I can do heel&toe just fine. Plus looking at rennline pictures it seems that most regular shoes I have and pretty much all formal shoes with wide sole will have a problem fitting aside of gas and last thing I want is to accidentally push throttle when intending to slam on brakes in traffic.

So, my question is, really - are there any (easy) removable throttle pedal extensions that could be mounted on or above stock throttle pedal?

If such product does not exist in known universe for some reason - how difficult is to remove those extensions from rennline pedal after it was mounted? Is is a PITA job which requires complete removal of the pedal from car or relatively simple to do? I cannot say from the pictures they posted there but looked into my car and there is no much space there behind the pedal to fit screwdriver there, not to mention to get into that spot.

http://www.rennline.com/Throttle-Ext...nfo/PE70_71HT/

I bought and installed the Ultimate Pedal with full left side extension - very pleased with it. Several finish options with or without rubber bumps, as well as full or partial extensions. Easy to install, works great for heel toe and easy to remove later if you wish. You only install it with a couple screws through stock pedal as long as you drill the holes neatly you can barely see them. I leave it on all the time and haven't hit the throttle by accident when using the brake in 8,000 miles of street and track driving. But if you want to just have it at the track, putting it on or taking it off should be a 5 minute job once you have done the initial install.

http://www.ultimatepedals.com/catalo...4000acdd4fb22b

Old 10-14-2009, 06:39 AM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with no left leg....I have not "heel and toe" in over 7 years...however I do explain it and help my students learn heel and toe as an instructor.

Not being able to actuall see where you are going wrong since you say you can heel and toe fine on the street but not at the track. It sound like to me you need to work on your coordination and rhythm and start out at the track with a slower pace and build up to a faster pace.

I will tell you that the Rennline style of pedals will help along with a proper shoe like a Piloti. Also most guy do not actually heel and toe...ie use there heel on the throttle. they use the side of there shoe but this all depends on pedal placement and show size.

Hope this helps...enjoy the track! Mike

Old 10-14-2009, 07:11 AM
obsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to beholdobsessed is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by mdrums
Keep in mind this is coming from a guy with no left leg....I have not "heel and toe" in over 7 years...however I do explain it and help my students learn heel and toe as an instructor.

Not being able to actuall see where you are going wrong since you say you can heel and toe fine on the street but not at the track. It sound like to me you need to work on your coordination and rhythm and start out at the track with a slower pace and build up to a faster pace.

I will tell you that the Rennline style of pedals will help along with a proper shoe like a Piloti. Also most guy do not actually heel and toe...ie use there heel on the throttle. they use the side of there shoe but this all depends on pedal placement and show size.

+1. Today most use left side of ball of foot on brake and roll foot to right to bump the throttle with right side of foot for blip on downshift, but the "heel & toe" terminology sticks.

Regardless, the pedal extension - whether Ultimate, Rennline or others (some even have screwed a trimmed down hockey puck to the back of the left side of the pedal) - help compensate for today's pedal arrangements with wide spacing between brake and gas pedals designed to prevent lawsuits like the old Audi "sudden acceleration" law suits.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:27 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !

I have the Rennline Pedals and the Piloti Shoes, and I can do rev matching very easily with this set up. I call it rev matching, as I am not heel toeing, I have half of my foot on the brake, and the right side of my foot can blip the throttle with ease.

As for installing the gas pedal and extensions, it is installed with two screws that are easy to re+re, but I have to wonder why you would want to remove them. I leave them in and practice my rev matching all the time, it has become second nature.

I would also caution you from raising your gas pedal, when the brake is applied it is in line with the gas pedal.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:33 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what the heck is it, it got to be something with pedal positioning, as it happens pretty much consistently every time I stop thinking about it.

I will need to practice it more, last time I did it on regular basis was 15 years ago so may be I just lost it.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
I have the Rennline Pedals and the Piloti Shoes, and I can do rev matching very easily with this set up. I call it rev matching, as I am not heel toeing, I have half of my foot on the brake, and the right side of my foot can blip the throttle with ease.

As for installing the gas pedal and extensions, it is installed with two screws that are easy to re+re, but I have to wonder why you would want to remove them. I leave them in and practice my rev matching all the time, it has become second nature.

I would also caution you from raising your gas pedal, when the brake is applied it is in line with the gas pedal.
Well, I will try to figure this out this weekend, I just cannot reach throttle with side of my foot for sure. I suspect may be my sitting position is wrong, if I sit too close to the front so my foot is at wrong angle. Will see.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:57 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Well, I will try to figure this out this weekend, I just cannot reach throttle with side of my foot for sure. I suspect may be my sitting position is wrong, if I sit too close to the front so my foot is at wrong angle. Will see.
I suggest you just buy them and try them, it sounds like you have the exact same problem I had. I ended up removing the lower part of the extension and leaving the upper only. Try it with both, as once you decide to cut one, you can't go back.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:03 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
You don't need no stinkin' pedal extensions. Just practice. I use the left side/right side method of rev matching and what I do all the time when braking whether I'm rev matching or not is to brake with only the left side of my foot. Every. Single. Time.

Street/autox/track. Doesn't matter. That way my muscle memory is being programmed with that style of braking and when I need a throttle blip all I need to do is roll my foot.

I was taught that by my driving coach and it's working great for me.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:09 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by AllanJ
You don't need no stinkin' pedal extensions.
It depends on the driver.

I have a small shoe size and broke my right ankle years ago. I cannot get my shoe to line up with both brake and gas to use the roll method. There is no way I can move my ankle in postion to use the heel/toe method.

So I have decided to put pedal extensions on after this season of DE is over to use and learn effectively the roll method.

Last edited by buck986; 10-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:34 AM
AllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the roughAllanJ is a jewel in the rough
Bummer about your ankle. The extensions will definitely help you out. Good luck!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Bummer about your ankle. The extensions will definitely help you out. Good luck!

thanks...i need all the help I can get!

Old 10-14-2009, 12:21 PM
You don't need no stinkin' pedal extensions. Just practice. I use the left side/right side method of rev matching and what I do all the time when braking whether I'm rev matching or not is to brake with only the left side of my foot. Every. Single. Time.

Street/autox/track. Doesn't matter. That way my muscle memory is being programmed with that style of braking and when I need a throttle blip all I need to do is roll my foot.

I was taught that by my driving coach and it's working great for me.
Allan, with all due respect, you should show a picture of your driving shoes and suit.

Attached Images  
Old 10-14-2009, 12:28 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by NorthVan997C2S
Allan, with all due respect, you should show a picture of your driving shoes and suit.
Too much toe, not enough heel

Old 10-14-2009, 12:47 PM
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
Too much toe, not enough heel
He has a drivers coach and it works for him!

BTW, I know Allan personally, so I can get away with this kind of stuff...sorry Al!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock throttle pedal extensions?