997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 specific IMS question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 01:45 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by photogS
I did search but couldn't find a definite answer.

Popular opinion is that MY 06 has upgraded IMS bearings. I'll be most likely getting C2S to replace my CS shortly and I'm looking at '06-'07 cars.
I was just browsing older issue of Excellence (May 2009) and in the tech notes on m96/97 engine they state that new IMS designed was introduced in mid-2006.

What is it then? I've located few '06 that interest me but this got me worried. I could stretch and get '07 if needed, but rather save some money and go for '06 if it has the newer design.

Please don't tell me to just get CPO and not worry about it. I'll be keeping this car for a while (at least 5 years) and there is a chance I'll be moving to Europe next year - US warranty is not honored there.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
search this forum - i posted some time ago copy of other post with exact engine number ranges showing when 2 row IMS bearing was replaced with single row bearing.

it was not simultaneous on different engine types and I could not find this post in 2 minutes - so try to find it here, it should be on this forum somewhere.

Old 10-14-2009, 06:36 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
The improvement was definitely a running change and not a MY change. I've read the cutoff number somewhere on the PCA Q&A section-I'll have to go back and find it. If you are a member of PCA have a look.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:12 PM
Muf
Muf is infamous around these parts
Porsche has global warranty. It will be valid also in Europe.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:23 PM
avh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to allavh128996tt is a name known to all
Old 10-21-2009, 08:31 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
Originally Posted by Muf
Porsche has global warranty. It will be valid also in Europe.
Are you certain about this? As far as I know Porsche in Europe warrants cars for 2 years (not 4 like in the US, and Europeans pay twice as much for their cars ).
'06-'07 cars are already out of warranty in Europe. I doubt they honor CPO warranty there, but this is just a guess. I'd appreciate any info in this regard

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 AM
Muf
I work in a luxury used car showroom here in Prague and we import cars from the USA. Porsches and BMWs have global warranty and we sell those slightly used cars under manufacturer's warranty.

The price of the cars in Europe is surely much higher than in the US but it is partly due to the VAT (about 20 %) and also due to the exchange rate. Porsche has huge margins on their cars sold in Europe.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:13 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
Originally Posted by Muf
I work in a luxury used car showroom here in Prague and we import cars from the USA. Porsches and BMWs have global warranty and we sell those slightly used cars under manufacturer's warranty.

The price of the cars in Europe is surely much higher than in the US but it is partly due to the VAT (about 20 %) and also due to the exchange rate. Porsche has huge margins on their cars sold in Europe.
Muf,
thanks, I'm aware of the global warranty but I still believe it's only 2 years vs 4 so that would not help me.
Can you answer the question (if you know) about CPO? That would help me greatly.
I'm most likely moving next year and will be picking up a used C2S in the next couple weeks. If CPO warranty is valid in Europe then I'd definitely want a CPO car.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:01 AM
Muf
Sorry, I cannot answer. You could probably contact porsche usa and ask them directly. Do not ask dealers though, they may have their reasons.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:13 PM
Blair is infamous around these parts
Smile Ims shaft failure

The new bearing assembly was installed May of 2005. So if your car was manufactured in May or after you are in better shape. This is confirmed from 2 reliable connected sources (one being the tech director of PCA). I did a lot of research on this before I bought my 06 C4S. Hope this helps out. Have fun.

Old 10-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
You cannot retro fit the new single row bearing into a car with a dual row bearing, the position of the retianing clips is different, so the cases are slightly different. You might be able to fit the new single row with the larger diameter bolt in a single row bearing engine, I forget what year they changed from dual to single row bearings, but I am not sure.

However, if you are going to try to retro fit/upgrade, why go with the Porsche bearing, the LN bearing is much better!!

Old 10-23-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally Posted by Muf
Sorry, I cannot answer. You could probably contact porsche usa and ask them directly. Do not ask dealers though, they may have their reasons.
OK, thanks for your help. I'll try contacting Porsche directly

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 PM
Originally Posted by Blair
The new bearing assembly was installed May of 2005. So if your car was manufactured in May or after you are in better shape. This is confirmed from 2 reliable connected sources (one being the tech director of PCA). I did a lot of research on this before I bought my 06 C4S. Hope this helps out. Have fun.

Great info, thanks!