997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

More Novice Track Notes...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 05:46 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
More Novice Track Notes...

Jaons's (Jellis) recent thread about his first DE day was really good to see here.

I hope more people talk about there experiences on the track in this forum. Its especially good to hear from drivers with all levels of experience who drive porsches and in particular 911's on a track.

As a complete novice who started in April of this year I will have done 12 days so fars all at the NJ Motorsports Park in millville.

My first 4 were in the my boxster and I was hooked. Thats when I decided to add a pretty low optioned base carrara with fairly high miles to drive on the track as the car I would use to hone my skills and not worry so much what happens to it. (the boxster is a great track car but I feel more secure in the coupe)

I plan to do 3-4 more days from now till the early november. (i'm lucky that I live just a couple of hours from NJMP, a great track for a beginner to learn at)

PCA is a good place to start as you always have an instructor in the lower run groups I have done four PCA events so far and the last three I had instructors that were very good. My first event instructor was only so-so. The guy was on the young side and he didn't really help me with what I should be doing.

So the only thing to be aware of with these events is that not all instructors are created equal. And I wouldn't judge them all by one.

PCA is also good because I have made many friends this year just be going to these events. Very helpful and interesting people and enthusiasts.

I have been on the Thunderbolt 2.25 mile track with as many as 35 other cars and I have been on the lightening 1.9 mile track with as few as 3. Most of the times there are between 12-22 cars on the track and I feel there is plently of space for all.

In 12 days so far I have felt only one anxious moment caused by another driver. This was when a gt3 chopped me off on a pass. I was totally in control but we did get close.

LIke Jason writes there about very little shifting. And for novices like me that is the case. Most of the time in thunderbolt I am in 3rd or 4th and in lightening I'm usually in 3rd or 4th; with 5th, ocassionally.

I hope after this year to work over the winter on better rev matching and smoother throttle and brake inputs. Being smooth and keeping the car balanced is key in high performance driving.

I suggest anyone starting and wanting to get more better in DE's to get a copy of "speed secrets" by ross bently (sp?) as a good guide book thats not too technical.

Hoping to hear more from others.

buckwheat

Old 10-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
I think I met you at the last member day on Lightning. It wasn't me the cut you off! lol

I did notice you got a lot better. Track days are a learning experience for everyone, even the most skilled of drivers. Some track days can be very humbling depending on who you're out with. Hope to see you soon.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:02 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Scott997
I think I met you at the last member day on Lightning. It wasn't me the cut you off! lol.
I think we did meet.

The GT3 was yellow and was moving too fast to get a license plate!

I did notice you got a lot better. .
thanks, much appreciated.

Track days are a learning experience for everyone, even the most skilled of drivers. Some track days can be very humbling depending on who you're out with. Hope to see you soon.
Agree with everyone learning. About themselves; the courses and the cars. Very interestng stuff at every level.

Doing schatt in Nov. Drop me a line if your going.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Great write up!!!!

Jason