997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How do you keep the tail
up
11.11%
down
88.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Tail up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:34 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Interesting thread and I'm sure there's going to be more opinions to come. I've got a Cab and I can't stand the look of it up no matter if I'm standing still, going 30mph, 70 mph, or 100mph (can't see my own wing when I'm driving but my friend has a C2S Cab and that's the image I'm relating here). The backend of my C4S is my favorite view and I think the wing up breaks up the lines (especially considering many people seem to feel the same way about the back end of our cars based on this thread here: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...our-997-a.html)

Of course this is only one person's opinion.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:51 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I leave the tail alone and let it be. I have seen a few Porsches with the wing deliberately up at 10 MPH and I think it looks silly .

Even my Techart wing on my Turbo has an up/down position and I leave that alone too.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:17 PM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
Auto. It goes up when it needs to for more downforce at 75mph and that works for me.

The only time I over ride auto is if I've come down from 75mph, but haven't gone below 55mph to cause it to retract yet. You'd be surprised by how many cops know at what speed the rear spoiler automatically deploys.

A deployed spoiler on a 911 can be a cop magnet and I ain't looking for trouble!

Old 10-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
I find it funny that it bothers you "purists" so much when one leaves the tail in the up position. I do leave it up most of the time. I like the old skool look of a whale tail and not a fan of the droopy butt.

The poseur comment is just stupid. Like someone else has said already---it comes standard with the car; every 997 has it. Your are not "posing" as something else. The Turbo wheels? Yes, that can be construed as a poseur much like getting a 997 with the Aero Kit and putting GT3 wheels on it. Having said that, I, personally don't think one is being a poseur by putting Turbo wheels, Aero Kit, etc on their car. I think those optiions are selected because the owners like the looks of those items...not that they are trying to pull a fast one and "pose" as having a 997Turbo or GT3.

At the end of the day, if you don't like the fact that I ride aroud with the tail up, too damn bad. Get over it....a Techart style type III wing is forthcoming.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:34 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Poseur comments are pretty funny here in a group that looks at adding LED DRL's. What's crazier, leaving the stock spoiler up or spending $5000 on an aerokit?

Don't know how the turbo wheels got into this, but that was an easy choice for me. OEM, one piece, forged, wider 8.5" fronts, more aggressive offsets and polished finish. And dirt cheap.

Get what you like and enjoy the look. I still go back and forth on the stock wing. Cool part is that you can change the look at the push of a button. Anybody ever seen the retractable wing on the Veyron?

Old 10-15-2009, 09:41 AM
EJ-997 is infamous around these parts
It is similar to my wife. 1st few weeks it was always up. Now it is in auto all the time.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:28 AM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by EJ-997
It is similar to my wife. 1st few weeks it was always up. Now it is in auto all the time.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:37 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Poseur comments are pretty funny here in a group that looks at adding LED DRL's. What's crazier, leaving the stock spoiler up or spending $5000 on an aerokit?

Don't know how the turbo wheels got into this, but that was an easy choice for me. OEM, one piece, forged, wider 8.5" fronts, more aggressive offsets and polished finish. And dirt cheap.

Get what you like and enjoy the look. I still go back and forth on the stock wing. Cool part is that you can change the look at the push of a button. Anybody ever seen the retractable wing on the Veyron?
I raise rear lid on auto-x as engine heats less with it open. Why to care on street - not sure, I bet car knows better in what position it has to be.

Probably if one would do front bumper aero kit an increase downforce in front then rear lid better be open at all times.

From esthetic's perspective lowered lid looks better IMHO - car`s curve is more feminine this way.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:47 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
It doesn't look old school at all - a very poor imitation of a 930, if that's the idea. Ol' school is the classic 356 look that is echoed in the 911-997. The bulk of the cars made don't have tails or wings. It's your car though; if you think it looks cool go for it. What you think it looks like - a wing/tail - and what it actually looks like - a flimsy piece of louvered metal on a hinge, though, are two different things.

Old 10-15-2009, 12:14 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote][ What's crazier, leaving the stock spoiler up or spending $5000 on an aerokit? /QUOTE]

I felt that the difference between an aerokit vs an up spoiler is that an aerokit is tested and designed for high speed aerodynamic stability . In my case I chose my Turbo Techart when I decided to jump to 700 Hp . I actually prefer the stock smooth lines but felt that when creating a car that has an extra 200 Hp I had to make changes in suspension , wheels, brakes, clutch. aerokit in order to accomodate a car like this. The goal was performance but also included safety improvements.

Of course the stock design, suspension and brakes may have held the power to some extent but not at the same level . When a car is capable of going 0-60 in under 3 seconds it has to be able to stop just as efficiently (brakes) . When a car has a projected top end near 200 mph it has to offer the most stability .

Even in the Turbo the spoiler is DOWN at 5 MPH .

That's why i think the up spoilers look odd.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:36 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Love that one...........

Old 10-15-2009, 03:41 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Sorry ......That was a respond to Ej-997

Old 10-15-2009, 04:48 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I raise rear lid on auto-x as engine heats less with it open. Why to care on street - not sure, I bet car knows better in what position it has to be.

Probably if one would do front bumper aero kit an increase downforce in front then rear lid better be open at all times.

From esthetic's perspective lowered lid looks better IMHO - car`s curve is more feminine this way.
I sure hope you are a female to have made that comment

Old 10-15-2009, 04:51 PM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
agree with the comment that it looks like it's broken. I don't think it makes one look like a poseur, however. I don't think it looks good though, at any speed.

Does it actually make a material improvement to high speed stability? As far as spoilers go, it doesn't look too aerodynamic.

Old 10-15-2009, 06:05 PM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by amerlemans
I sure hope you are a female to have made that comment
lol, with you lemans, I want my 911 to look like a muscle head on roids not a chick! It is supposed to draw in the chicks, not chat w/ them!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail up or down