997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How do you keep the tail
up
11.11%
down
88.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Tail up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:07 PM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Come on guys, who can't say that my ride in the avatar doesn't look sick w/ the tail up? Looks ballsy as hell, I love the tail up! I never was a fan of the dropped *** 911 look. Not sure of ages here, but I will be 40 in March and grew up in the whale tail era, albeit this is not a whale tail, but it does the job for me!

p.s. did the 911s back in the day w/o the whale tail have the option to raise?

Last edited by Sargepug; 10-15-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:15 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sargepug
Come on guys, who can say that my ride in the avatar doesn't look sick w/ the tail up? Looks ballsy as hell, I love the tail up! I never was a fan of the dropped *** 911 look. Not sure of ages here, but I will be 40 in March and grew up in the whale tail era, albeit this is not a whale tail, but it does the job for me!

p.s. did the 911s back in the day w/o the whale tail have the option to raise?
Sarge - looks like you and I are in the minority on this one but to answer your question.....yes sir, your ride looks sick with the tail up.

Thats ok, to each their own. That's why Baskin Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:17 AM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Let me ramble...this is an enjoyable thread:

I think the real posers are the ones that glue on the "turbo" badge to the rear, and spray paint their calipers canary yellow....not the folks that make the performance mods.

Anyone that spends $120,000+ can drive with the tail up, down, or sideways at any speed. To each his own. Since I have a cab, and can't even see the stupid spoiler while driving... the @#$#@ spoiler is @#$ dead to me. (Does this drive any other cab-owners crazy?) I think the P-engineers screwed the pooch on this feature on my model.

I like a big sloped P-butt more than Sir Mix Alot. The bigger the better. the giant wings and wider tracks only make them more attractive. Personally, I miss the whale-tale era. I think all the spoilers on 997's (Porsche or OEM tech) don't hold a candle to the turbo's of year's past.

-Mike

Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I think of raising the spoiler kind of like popping your collar. It doesn't make you a poser because you're not pretending to be something your not but it does look like you go through the effort of pushing that button to look cool. I don't really have a problem with it but I do think that guys trying too hard when I see it, just like when I see a popped collar.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:30 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by CayenneS2083
I think of raising the spoiler kind of like popping your collar. It doesn't make you a poser because you're not pretending to be something your not but it does look like you go through the effort of pushing that button to look cool. I don't really have a problem with it but I do think that guys trying too hard when I see it, just like when I see a popped collar.
Good analogy. Or it could be breading plumage - like a p e a c o c k. Married guys: down, single guys showing off: up.

I still say when I look at the pics of a car sitting in a lot with the tail up, it looks like it is sitting there waiting to go into service to get repaired. Like, "that was cool, until it stopped working".

I can remember when I got my 2nd BMW back in the late 80s and many dealerships where putting a pinstripe down the side. On delivery, I asked the sales manager about it since my car had no stripe. The look on his face was like...I may as well have walked into Brooks Brothers and asked for a ruffled shirt to go with my tux. "BMW doesn't think the car needs a stripe".

I looked at all the pics in the 997 brochure - not a one with it up - even on the road. Hmmm...but what do Porsche know anyway, right.

In the spirit of tolerance, I'll try to temper my prejudice from now on when I see a p-car up - could be some kind of counter-culture en-vogue thing. Not "sick" - as in needs a service tech, but "sick" - looks fashionable.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:26 PM
rockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to beholdrockstardoc is a splendid one to behold
You should do what YOU want. People may or may not like it, but if it fits your style then by all means be our guest. There's many opinions on this forum, and in the end they're just an opinion. I've been flogged for saying I don't think an automatic transmission "fits" a 911, but that's just my opinion. So if the majority of people don't keep their tail up on these forums doesn't mean you can't do it to yours...it just won't make sense to them. So in the end, YOU make the final decision. But, to answer your question, I keep my tail down too, unless I'm on the track or on a spirited road with constantly changing speeds.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:27 PM
kungfufishing is infamous around these parts
I'm not sure what I find more ridiculous/amazing - that there is a 4 page thread devoted to the position of a small, automated spoiler or that I read the whole thing. I keep mine on auto, really not noticable from inside the car.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by stevepow
Good analogy. Or it could be breading plumage - like a p e a c o c k. Married guys: down, single guys showing off: up.

I still say when I look at the pics of a car sitting in a lot with the tail up, it looks like it is sitting there waiting to go into service to get repaired. Like, "that was cool, until it stopped working".

I can remember when I got my 2nd BMW back in the late 80s and many dealerships where putting a pinstripe down the side. On delivery, I asked the sales manager about it since my car had no stripe. The look on his face was like...I may as well have walked into Brooks Brothers and asked for a ruffled shirt to go with my tux. "BMW doesn't think the car needs a stripe".

I looked at all the pics in the 997 brochure - not a one with it up - even on the road. Hmmm...but what do Porsche know anyway, right.

In the spirit of tolerance, I'll try to temper my prejudice from now on when I see a p-car up - could be some kind of counter-culture en-vogue thing. Not "sick" - as in needs a service tech, but "sick" - looks fashionable.
Dude - get a hobby or something. It's downright hysterical that you feel you will have to "temper your prejudice" about a f'ing wing on a car. Seriously, pick up stamp collecting, baseball cars, gay ****,... something.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:34 PM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mshanler
Let me ramble...this is an enjoyable thread:

...... Since I have a cab, and can't even see the stupid spoiler while driving... the @#$#@ spoiler is @#$ dead to me. (Does this drive any other cab-owners crazy?) I think the P-engineers screwed the pooch on this feature on my model.

-Mike
Mike: you can't see the spoiler from inside a coupe either... don't feel bad.

And I found this thread amusing too. Surprised it has gone on so long.
To each their own. If you want it up, have it up: Porsche put a button on the dash to do just that.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:52 PM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
I'm not sure what I find more ridiculous/amazing - that there is a 4 page thread devoted to the position of a small, automated spoiler or that I read the whole thing. I keep mine on auto, really not noticable from inside the car.
Yeah, pretty amazing. Only went three pages (but with almost the same unanimous vote for no go on the tail up when parked) over on Rennlist.

Old 10-16-2009, 04:57 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by johnstoy
Mike: you can't see the spoiler from inside a coupe either... don't feel bad.
Short people don't see the spoiler... but others, myself included, have no problem seeing a raised spoiler in the rearview mirror.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:10 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I'm 6'. I don't see it in the car, even if I crane myself out the window. The only way I ever see it is if I leave it up. Tried leaving it up, now I got a "raised brake light" warning on the dash!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:04 PM
schwartzwest is infamous around these parts
Auto.
I agree- if you want it up, change the tail.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:44 PM
ultramoto is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kungfufishing
that's funny kungfu.

I love the 80's whale tales and most fixed wings on Porsches but the auto-tail on my 997 is pure function to me. I would never put it up while going slow. I manually put it up by mashing the pedal at least 5 days a week though!

I noticed on 993s the wing seems to go up at much lower speeds? In a way I wish the 997 went up at 60 just so it wasn't a cop tip off.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:55 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Axxlrod
Don't be a poser.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tail up or down