997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: How do you keep the tail
up
11.11%
down
88.89%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Tail up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 10:57 PM
dcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the roughdcentric is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Dude - get a hobby or something. It's downright hysterical that you feel you will have to "temper your prejudice" about a f'ing wing on a car. Seriously, pick up stamp collecting, baseball cars, gay ****,... something.
there's gotta be a listing in stuffwhitepeoplelike.com for this.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:18 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Wow, some people with some thin skin on here.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:27 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
Auto. It goes up when it needs to for more downforce at 75mph and that works for me.

The only time I over ride auto is if I've come down from 75mph, but haven't gone below 55mph to cause it to retract yet. You'd be surprised by how many cops know at what speed the rear spoiler automatically deploys.

A deployed spoiler on a 911 can be a cop magnet and I ain't looking for trouble!
You can always educate the cop on the fact that it can be raised with a button, even if standing still.

Talking about cop magnets... anything is an excuse for them. As a somewhat funny aside, a few years ago, I was driving my 944 Turbo with a for sale sign on the Highway and I got pulled over. I was absolutely surprised as I had done nothing at all wrong only to be asked by the cop how much I wanted for it!

Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Sargepug
Come on guys, who can't say that my ride in the avatar doesn't look sick w/ the tail up? Looks ballsy as hell, I love the tail up! I never was a fan of the dropped *** 911 look. Not sure of ages here, but I will be 40 in March and grew up in the whale tail era, albeit this is not a whale tail, but it does the job for me!

p.s. did the 911s back in the day w/o the whale tail have the option to raise?
I got an Aerokit because I don't like the stock look as much as with a wing, so there you go! As far as posing... nah, I am a track junkie and a PCA DE Instructor so nobody can accuse me of that. I am a couple of years older than you too and prefer my 911s with tails. My 87 Carrera has it and I wouldn't buy one of that era without it. Who knows, it may have to do with growing up in the 80s. I still consider the 930 the best looking Porsche.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:02 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Over 1,500 views, 64 posts, and broke thru the 5 page mark. Current poll is just over 8 to 1 for tail down (or keeping it in auto mode). WOW, Rennlist got nothing on us

Old 10-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned
Sargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of lightSargepug is a glorious beacon of light
Great reading here! I guess it can be assessed that keeping the tail down is more stuffed shirt. I am opposite of stuffed shirt, I have a flavor saver under my lip and thin "devilish" goat tee. I despise wearing suits and prefer to be in jeans w/ an un tucked button down, although my jeans and shirts are typically $300 each! lol So i guess the tail up suits my character as where biff at the country club would get ruffled over it! lol
I also do not see it up from the ****pit, but that is not the point, I like the way it improves the muscualr look of the car over the dropped ***, and do not need to see it to enjoy it. Does anybody see their new rims while driving???????

Old 10-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Sargepug
Great reading here! I guess it can be assessed that keeping the tail down is more stuffed shirt. I am opposite of stuffed shirt, I have a flavor saver under my lip and thin "devilish" goat tee. I despise wearing suits and prefer to be in jeans w/ an un tucked button down, although my jeans and shirts are typically $300 each! lol So i guess the tail up suits my character as where biff at the country club would get ruffled over it! lol
I also do not see it up from the ****pit, but that is not the point, I like the way it improves the muscualr look of the car over the dropped ***, and do not need to see it to enjoy it. Does anybody see their new rims while driving???????
Why don't you tell us what you REALY think........... ........

Love these icons.................

Last edited by Lostturbo; 10-17-2009 at 07:07 PM. Reason: wrong word
Old 10-17-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Lostturbo
Why don't you tell us how you REALY think........... ........

Love these icons.................
Sweetass (pun intended) avatar you got there Lost

Old 10-17-2009, 06:57 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
Does anyone know when the tails on 911's started to have actuators? Did this all start on the 993's?

Old 10-17-2009, 07:12 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by amerlemans
Sweetass (pun intended) avatar you got there Lost

Flattery will get you everywhere.......

Old 10-17-2009, 08:09 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by mshanler
Does anyone know when the tails on 911's started to have actuators? Did this all start on the 993's?
Wiki says 964 "A rear spoiler deployed at high speed, preserving the purity of line when the vehicle was at rest."....or did it?

Old 10-18-2009, 01:31 AM
GIjbop is infamous around these partsGIjbop is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by CanuckC4S
Before I switched to the Techart spoiler I would leave the OEM spoiler on auto. If Porsche had wanted it up all the time they would have built them that way, and the models they wanted to have the spoiler up all the time that's how they were built. If your looking for a more aggresive look then you should explore the aftermarket or GT2/3/Tequipmet spoiler options.
IMO....I think the 'ricer' comment should be left to discuss on your own time rather than posting it on a public forum where there's people of all sorts of ethnic diversities taking part. I've have Asian bros and we joke about that kind of stuff all the time but we all know each others boundries.
hey ..mind if i ask how you fitted and placed ur front license plate? looks great!!!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:16 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=yrralis1;2580333]
[ What's crazier, leaving the stock spoiler up or spending $5000 on an aerokit? /QUOTE]

I felt that the difference between an aerokit vs an up spoiler is that an aerokit is tested and designed for high speed aerodynamic stability . In my case I chose my Turbo Techart when I decided to jump to 700 Hp . I actually prefer the stock smooth lines but felt that when creating a car that has an extra 200 Hp I had to make changes in suspension , wheels, brakes, clutch. aerokit in order to accomodate a car like this. The goal was performance but also included safety improvements.

Of course the stock design, suspension and brakes may have held the power to some extent but not at the same level . When a car is capable of going 0-60 in under 3 seconds it has to be able to stop just as efficiently (brakes) . When a car has a projected top end near 200 mph it has to offer the most stability .

Even in the Turbo the spoiler is DOWN at 5 MPH .

That's why i think the up spoilers look odd.
I agree with your assessment. Can you point me to a link that shows an improvement in stability/downforce at 200mph? My impression is that most of the body kit offerings are nothing more than cosmetic changes and are not run through anything close to an OE level of performance or durability testing.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 AM
6.1speed is infamous around these parts
Down all the time.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:19 AM
997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light997 rolls is a glorious beacon of light
Auto setting is cool - just wish I could see it go up and down!