997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Tire Fill frequency & colder months (997 C2S w/ 19")

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 06:39 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by P Diddy
If you have to refill a tire more than once a month there might be a small leak. I've heard that 10 deg F equates to 1 psi. Regardless, once the pressure drops and is stable, you should only have to fill them once to have the proper pressure at that temperature (and then perhaps every 3 months to account for any normal leaking/deflating).

I'm in Chicago (similar weather to NE), and I'm running 32F and 38R right now. I'm thinking of dropping the pressure in the rear to 36 though to soften the ride (I hate these P Zero Rossos - they ride way too stiff and they don't grip all that well in any conditions).
Factory spec is 33/39 as per the manual. Within the normal accuracy of most guages, you are probably right at factory spec.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:52 AM
Ridleyguy is infamous around these parts
My front tire pressures have dropped to 31 psi from 33 psi in the last two weeks as the temperature has dropped here approx. 20 degrees F in that period. I wondered about it when I noticed the drop on the TPM, and now I have an explanation for it. Thanks P Diddy.

Old 10-16-2009, 09:58 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Just curious why do you run at 32/38 when stock numbers are 37/44?
37/44 is fill for fully loaded car, 2 passengers and luggage. Normal fill is 33/39.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:07 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dadio
37/44 is fill for fully loaded car, 2 passengers and luggage. Normal fill is 33/39.
true, my mistake. on other side of things - for 35 degrees outside 37/44 is about right anyway.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:45 PM
mshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura aboutmshanler has a spectacular aura about
How low have folks dialed in the tire pressure (19's) for daily driving?

I checked mine this morning...and all 4 were in the high 20's. I filled them back up to the recommended specs and drove for 30 minutes on back roads. I definitely noticed more rattles, bumps, and pains. (My car was a little more comfortable with the lower PSI's. Tomorrow, I might be letting some air out.)
-M

Originally Posted by obsessed
Lower pressures are discussed in the manual for less than full load and do provide a more comfortable ride without significantly impacting tire wear. If you get pressures down in the teens or twentys yes, and that is the kind of low pressure these articles reflect - many people never check their pressures. Lower pressures are also used on the track for better grip - but I won't argue tire life is not impacted on the track. Tires have a short life on the track but there is a lot more at play there then just tire pressure - extreme acceleration & braking, and sliding around the corners come to mind.