997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

What else besides a 997?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 07:15 PM
lig
lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !lig Is a GOD !
hmmmm... I'd have to up the $$$ a bit and get an AMV8 or R8.

Otherwise I'd stick with the C2S. For non-track use an S5 would be tempting as I think they are just stunning to look at.

Old 10-17-2009, 07:56 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amerlemans
^^^^^ Take our 997S out to ANY track of your choice and see if it beats a CLK63 BS. Go ahead, boyracer, tell me where it will have a chance on any road course track of your choice? I'm all ears cowboy.

It's fanboys like you that give us Porsche guys a bad name. Gold chains being worn by a BS driver?.....how clueless are you? I'm sure you have your typical banter against those that own M3's, M5's, Vantages, Z06s, ZR1's, Vipers, .....basically anyone that isn't swinging on the Porsche *******. How pathetic.

Do you flip your collar up when you cruise in your Porsche?

In case you have a problem with reading comprehension the OP started with this statement.

"OK, bold question, but what I want to know is if there are any other cars out there (semi exotic-ish) with the build quality of the Porsche 997..... It is OK if the car does not handle as well in the twisties or slower a bit to 60...: Lotus, lower priced F cars like 360's, Masarati's, AM, or other. In the used Market a Lotus Elise, Masarati Grand Sport or even Grand Tourismo, 03 or so 360 Modena, used Aston Vantage etc all can be had within 10-15K either way of a well equipped 997(.2S) etc..."

Gee, do you think he's looking for a track car after making that statement? Hell no...he's loking for options OTHER than a 997s that has some exotic to it that is fast and has good build quality. If you think the CLK63 BS doesn't fit that profile, then you're living under a rock......or in this case, under the Porsche *******.

If I wanted a dedicated track car, I'd get an '06 Z06 slap some Pfadt c/o's on it and go thump your *** in your 997 anywhere/anytime.

Farking fanbois make me sick

Hey, I didn't mean to rile you up like that! If I offended you, I apologize.
If you read my posts, you will find that I am not a fanboy, and am rather critical of all cars, if the shoe fits. I have defended the M3 ad nauseum, as well as cars like the Vette and CTS. That being said, you did not find any results to point to the motorsports potential of the AMG, Did you? That is because there are none. Nor could you deny the fact that it weighs two tons and has a slushbox. If a car is going to have DTM fenders, R-comps and 500 bhp, it should walk the walk. I am sure it is a far above average car, but it is far from what a $135K car should be and is indicative of all of the AMG products. I guess you could say that you can put a dress on a pig, but it is still.....well, you know how that goes!
As a funny aside, have you ever noticed that they never do any 'second laps' of the ring and time both of them and average em' out? That is because lots of cars 'wilt' after the first lap. I imagine the AMG would do exactly that.
Anyway, All I simply said was that the car was far from impressive on a Solo II course. It is hard to deny that. I should also hope it would 'thump' on a 997 on a track, the M3 does, right?? Of course the track would need lots of straights and a gas station nearby.......
And, I was replying to someone else who had a reply to the OP. I think that there are lots of cars that can fit into the vein of the 997 line, but I am not sure who would go for a car that is so ill-fitted to status as a daily driver, yet equally ill-suited to the "track". (am I the only one who has a problem with 2 tons??)
Funny coincidence-->I should add that the fellow who owned the Black at the school was from Staten island and did have a gold rope chain with a mercedes symbol on it and had the matching jacket. He was bald and 55-60yrs old. (not that there is anything wrong with that) So,He asked the pro to show him what it could do. We were all watching with baited breath, and within a minute or two were wondering if any cones would survive. I have never seen front tires that I actually had pity for..... From the trackside the car looked heavy, and the first thing the pro said was how fat the car felt. It is also fair to say that the pro liked driving it, but did not respect it much. In his personal garage, The pro drives a Z06 and an Elise, so you can see what he likes. (I.E. cars that are light and agile.) The AMG series has always meant that you need an engine with 600-1million ft/lbs of torque out of a huge engine, a too-stiff suspension to hide the high center of gravity, and some sticky tires. I guess you can crush anything with a big enough hammer! My thinking is that if you appreciate the graceful way in which a 911 goes about it's business, you would find a 4000lb car with tons of torque to be a bit vulgar. 911s always look slow on the autocross, until you see the times it runs, and you realize how easy it makes it look. That is the product of light weight and efficient design. There are less and less cars like this, and the Vette and the 911/cayman are some of the last examples of a dying breed!
Anyway, let's be friends and you can come to the SCCA Solo series at redskin stadium next season! They are always open to new members and it is a great way to appreciate the 997/elise/Z06/RX8 and others!

Old 10-17-2009, 10:05 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Hey no fights, on here, we are all here for one reason, and one reason only, FOR THE LOVE OF CARS......

Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Hey no fights, on here, we are all here for one reason, and one reason only, FOR THE LOVE OF CARS......
Right, not this again - reminds me of the "Tail Up" post. Just because someone has a different opinion, there's no need to resort to name calling and tantrums. No one has be be a cowboy, a fanbois, or any other sort of Belgian beer.

What's up with that?

You state your opinion - some will agree and some will disagree.

Old 10-18-2009, 04:23 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Well............ this thread has run its' course; time to unsubscribe, bye.

Old 10-18-2009, 07:23 AM
mickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant futuremickfluff has a brilliant future
thanks

Thanks for the comments all and lets keep this clean. For the original post the black series is a great option for consideration.

I completely forgot about that car.... did some research on it and like what I have read. Also did the ole youtube search with cl63 vs and watched some decent vids and reviews of the car.

I would like to see one in person, I think it possibly looks better in real life then in pics, kind of like our P cars IMO.

Thanks for the replies all.....

M3, s5, etc are nice cars but to common for what I think I want to consider.... in the 50K used range the 02+ NSX IMO cleans up. For the 60-70K used range I think GTR and Black series cars are right in there allowing for a newer car still under warranty and only slightly used. Also dealer availability etc..

Half the fun is the hunt.... will keep you all posted on what goes down!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:59 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by lig
hmmmm... I'd have to up the $$$ a bit and get an AMV8 or R8.

Otherwise I'd stick with the C2S. For non-track use an S5 would be tempting as I think they are just stunning to look at.
i', with you lig on this one..... you hit it on the head with the line up, the r8 is nice, but you will have to up the money, but the s5 are going for in the low 50's which i think is a great price for those cars, i wouldn't entertain the regular a5....

Old 10-18-2009, 08:21 AM
Banned
amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !amerlemans Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mickfluff
Thanks for the comments all and lets keep this clean. For the original post the black series is a great option for consideration.

I completely forgot about that car.... did some research on it and like what I have read. Also did the ole youtube search with cl63 vs and watched some decent vids and reviews of the car.

I would like to see one in person, I think it possibly looks better in real life then in pics, kind of like our P cars IMO.

Thanks for the replies all.....

M3, s5, etc are nice cars but to common for what I think I want to consider.... in the 50K used range the 02+ NSX IMO cleans up. For the 60-70K used range I think GTR and Black series cars are right in there allowing for a newer car still under warranty and only slightly used. Also dealer availability etc..

Half the fun is the hunt.... will keep you all posted on what goes down!
Please do Mick. BTW, your 997S is one of the nicest I've seen ANYWHERE. Love the RUF wheels but mostly loved the 997tt wing. I know it cost you some $$$ but man it looks fantastic.

Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM
black series is really nice.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:07 PM
dk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to beholddk10438 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by JohnM
Well, stay away from the Lotus Elise if you are looking for build quality. They are great drives, but so so fragile and simple. Lots of creaks, squeeks and such. Buzzes, drones, rattles all make the car what it is. I would buy one in a second if I had the means to buy a 3rd car, just for the simple pleasure of tracking it. Corvettes are fine too, but lack the little bits of refinement that you might be looking for. More of a 'stratocaster' to a 'stradivarius'.
Surely all the BMW products (audi, lexus, cadillac, honda, and hyundai too) would be of a higher quality on the surface, but the brakes, drivetrain and other important driving bits on those cars are arguably inferior to the 997. I guess it depends on what you use to judge quality...I would say that most cars on the market have the surface appearance of being higher quality than the p-cars, until you put a couple of miles on them at the track and then you see where some of the cash went. If you never track your car, you will never notice the depth of the cars quality! (so drive the car with Gusto...)
+99
loved my elise when I had it but build quality was terrible. constantly had little pieces falling off, creaks, rattles, etc. but then again, it's not really a semi exotic.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:21 AM
Skylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to beholdSkylar's Dad is a splendid one to behold
Mercedes CLK63 / Black Series /SL

I agree that the way any 4000 lb Mercedes "handles" makes it a totally different driving experience. I have owned 3 SL's over the years and have test driven a CLK63- I am not a track driver, but you do not have to be to be able to tell that a P-Car and any Mercedes are not in the same league-
Not even comparable to me- A Corvette- BMW M6- AM Vantage- much more similar driving experience.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:25 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dk10438
+99
loved my elise when I had it but build quality was terrible. constantly had little pieces falling off, creaks, rattles, etc. but then again, it's not really a semi exotic.
those are quite sad news, I tried elise 2 weeks ago and was very impressed - very light, very fun car. it is a real pity if it is not built well, who could imagine...

Old 10-20-2009, 11:55 AM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
Well said R... I love cars.

Old 10-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Tcelv is infamous around these parts
Although not European, if a four door sport sedan is not out of the question, consider the Caddy CTS-V 6speed. Drive one and you will be impressed. Civil manners at highway speeds and a beast when you put your foot into it. Can pick up a brand new one in your price range.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:50 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Check this vid of M6 and C63 BLK compared. Seem relatively unbiased - the MB cleans up. M6 still seems slightly more well-rounded.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3mf8v_bmw-m6-vs-mercedes-clk63-amg-black_auto

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What else besides a 997?