997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track-challenged 997S (long)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 09:58 AM
mkk62 is infamous around these parts
oh and i see from your avatar that you have the pccb's.... dont forget to changed those brake pads at 50%, always bed them in well as i toasted a set of front pccb's..not cheap to replace and will move to steel rotors when these are done.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:55 AM
e3113v is infamous around these parts
Verdict: Oil suction/scavenge pump on driver's side went bad.

Service tech drove car around in circles to try to emulate track driving.
Found oil pressure fluctuations when driving clockwise so traced it to driver's side oil suction pump. Does this make sense to those of you who know these engines?
Anyway, I won't really be able to confirm that she's fixed until I get on a track...which here in the NE won't be until next spring!
Glad that everything has been covered under CPO so far. Tally: new AOS and new Oil Suction pump. I'll let you guys know next season!
-E.

PS: I've been told about smoking when oil is overfilled. I'll keep an eye out to make sure it's not overfilled...

Old 11-07-2009, 04:46 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Well my friend I invite you to come to NJMP next weekend. there is a track day sat at sun. You pick. Lets track test that baby!

Old 11-07-2009, 05:22 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like you may have got this wrapped up.

Just FYI, the only time I have experienced something similar was when I was driving my M3 after having the oil changed. Either the car was overfilled and blew out the seal on the filter housing or the tech never put the seal back in but oil was spraying all over my headers. This caused massive amounts of smoke as I was driving down the highway.

However, this would be fairly obvious from an inspection of the ehaust system and finding burnt oil...

Jason

Old 11-07-2009, 05:43 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Keep us posted of the outcome of this issue!

Old 11-07-2009, 06:16 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by e3113v
Found oil pressure fluctuations when driving clockwise so traced it to driver's side oil suction pump. Does this make sense to those of you who know these engines?
Anyway, I won't really be able to confirm that she's fixed until I get on a track...which here in the NE won't be until next spring!
Glad that everything has been covered under CPO so far. Tally: new AOS and new Oil Suction pump. I'll let you guys know next season!
-E.

PS: I've been told about smoking when oil is overfilled. I'll keep an eye out to make sure it's not overfilled...
Get it fixed, then sell it and get another one. I would do just that.

Old 11-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Let him take it to the track and torture test it. If its resolved keep it, if not unload it...

Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Originally Posted by Scott997
Let him take it to the track and torture test it. If its resolved keep it, if not unload it...
Thanks, Scott997...that's exactly what I plan to do!
I would take you up on your offer next weekend but I'll be in NY for my old man's birthday.
Are you a member of NJMP or is it another PCA event? Wish I had signed up for this weekend's PCA Schattenbaum there but I didn't find out about it until yesterday.

If she smokes again, I move on this spring before the CPO ends...

-E.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Get it fixed, then sell it and get another one. I would do just that.
I will sell it and get another one IF this happens again.
Why keep her if I can't use her the way I want? (sounds like a bad conversation of a bitter man talking about a woman!)
Anyway, it didn't cost me anything to fix it (CPO warranty until Sept 2010)...just lost the track fees for those days...SIGH!

BTW, many guys at the track recommended the Motorsports Air/Oil Separator but I've come to find out that would only fit the 3.6 engine, not the 3.8.

-E.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:11 PM
member, I met you that day you car was acting up. I had a track day yesterday, was awesome because only a few members were there. I even did a 50 min session! I bet if you showed up for shattenbaum theyd let you drive. I've done it before.

Old 11-08-2009, 08:21 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
-E.

This isn't an uncommon problem. Once the scavenge pump is replaced, the car will run perfectly normally and you'll have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
I will sell it and get another one IF this happens again.
Why keep her if I can't use her the way I want? (sounds like a bad conversation of a bitter man talking about a woman!)
Anyway, it didn't cost me anything to fix it (CPO warranty until Sept 2010)...just lost the track fees for those days...SIGH!

BTW, many guys at the track recommended the Motorsports Air/Oil Separator but I've come to find out that would only fit the 3.6 engine, not the 3.8.

-E.
Wow - posts like these make me nervous as I look for a "perfect" used C2S to buy. First, I'm nervous about buying a very expensive machine that is prone to these types of issues, no matter how long I have lusted after one.

Second, I don't want to be the sucker that ends up buying a car that someone has "unloaded" after an issue such as this.