997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

G-tech+mods=power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
So that's a 3.4L engine (right?) with SC putting down ~380 NET HP? Not wheel HP, but NET, which is NET of drivetrain loss, friction, wind, slope, etc.

I've got to assume you're impressed by those numbers?
CATTMAN
I talked to him today and he sounded happy with the numbers and he should be...HOWEVER...he is going for more,LOL!!!
But we will have to wait next year for those results.........

Sorry 1999 had to answer for you......hope you don't mind!

Old 11-06-2009, 09:27 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by justatoy
This sounds about right considering he is 7+ PSI of boost.
Do a little math and:
Assume his 'stock' car is around 251 rwhp and with is charger(7.1PSI)
1999Porsche911 is making about 18.59 net RWHP/PSI of boost

Now assume my 2005 S 'stock' is the same as the one we tested(give or take) is making 291 net RWHP.
I am making 5.9 PSI of boost with my charger and 401 net RWHP so I am making around 18.6 net rwhp/PSI of boost.....which is almost the same number of net RWHP/PSI of boost as 1999Porsch911.

His car undoubetly IS faster due to the fact he is building his boost earlier than mine and his car is lighter....but....at least we know that 1PSI of boost=around 19 net RWHP !
Kinda neat and YES they are alot of variables BUT none the less alot of fun.
Excellent analysis there Stacy. Keep this up and we're going to have to award you an honorary engineering degree. I like how you accept the inevitable variations in g-tech units and test conditions etc., but are able to draw interesting general comparisons to derive factors such as the approx. 19 hp/psi of boost. Let me know where you guys are meeting next year in case I decide to join you. I figure Billings Montana is close to half way between Chicago and Vancouver.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the G-tech and will attempt to use it alongside the other RR model you loaned me to see how they compare.

Old 11-06-2009, 09:36 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I'd be up for a roadtrip Montana- what the heck! By then, hopefully I'll be SC'd!
I think there's no speed limit there in some areas, too.
CATTMAN

Old 11-06-2009, 09:39 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
Excellent analysis there Stacy. Keep this up and we're going to have to award you an honorary engineering degree. I like how you accept the inevitable variations in g-tech units and test conditions etc., but are able to draw interesting general comparisons to derive factors such as the approx. 19 hp/psi of boost. Let me know where you guys are meeting next year in case I decide to join you. I figure Billings Montana is close to half way between Chicago and Vancouver.
I'll keep my eyes peeled for the G-tech and will attempt to use it alongside the other RR model you loaned me to see how they compare.
Thanks Ken.......

Please keep us posted of the comparison results of the two units!

Also,If we have enough interest we may have to make the 'meet' somewhere central and see how many cars we could gather in one spot,LOL......a weekend of fun!
My old NSX buddies do it yearly and get approx. 100 cars showing up!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 11-06-2009 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 02:50 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
This sounds about right considering he is 7+ PSI of boost.
Do a little math and:
Assume his 'stock' car is around 251 net RWHP and with is charger(7.1PSI)
1999Porsche911 is making about 18.59 net RWHP/PSI of boost
Stacy, what do you generally think about SC vs turbo applications on stock 3.6/3.8 engines?

If you remember there was an offer from tncracing (hope i`m right on name) some time ago - they made some turbo prototype for 997.1 cars. I am still thinking about this, what way to go.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:08 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
If you guys meet up, let me know, I am down for a road trip out there

Old 11-07-2009, 03:31 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Thanks Ken.......

Please keep us posted of the comparison results of the two units!

Also,If we have enough interest we may have to make the 'meet' somewhere central and see how many cars we could gather in one spot,LOL......a weekend of fun!
My old NSX buddies do it yearly and get approx. 100 cars showing up!

Stacy
I am not sure a road trip is safe for you, what if it starts to rain?

Old 11-07-2009, 06:49 PM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan

Ed,
Didnt you read the thread of the masive unbrella Stacy built?

Sorry buddy....had 2 say it LOL

Old 11-07-2009, 06:53 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Ed: I figured you would know that Stacy would trailer his car. Fastest C2S trailer queen out there.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:48 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Ed: I figured you would know that Stacy would trailer his car. Fastest C2S trailer queen out there.
Isn't the point of a road trip to drive the car? I suspect that he would tow it, as long as his tow vehicle has a working motor.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:52 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by northvan
i suspect that he would tow it, as long as his tow vehicle has a working motor.
ouch!

Old 11-07-2009, 07:57 PM
ouch!
That is what Stacy will say when the bill arrives!

Old 11-08-2009, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Stacy, what do you generally think about SC vs turbo applications on stock 3.6/3.8 engines?

If you remember there was an offer from tncracing (hope i`m right on name) some time ago - they made some turbo prototype for 997.1 cars. I am still thinking about this, what way to go.
Forced induction IS forced induction....any way you do it will create more power!
As far as SC or turbo on a stock motor:
I know there are alot of superchargers out there that are strong running and for a long time.When done right...it is safe and fun to drive.One of my friends from the forum has over 45,000 boosted miles on his and he IS NOT running normal boost levels but rather high boost(7+ PSI).
The turbo you are talking about IS TPC racing's design.....these guys HAVE been around a long time and I am sure whatever they put out WORKS and works well!
If the deal is right...well you know!
I do know where there is a used VF supercharger for sale for a 997(at half the price of a new one) and IT is a complete kit.....need nothing other than the ECU tune.

Originally Posted by angldrkns9
If you guys meet up, let me know, I am down for a road trip out there
Sounds like there may a few into this....sweeet!

Originally Posted by jjc4scab
Ed,
Didnt you read the thread of the masive unbrella Stacy built?

Sorry buddy....had 2 say it LOL
Yeah an enclosed trailer,LOL!
HHHMMMM the guy gives me a shot and then in a PM asks for a set of FREE sideskirts,LOL!

Better believe it,LOL!

That is what Stacy will say when the bill arrives!
Wasn't so bad bad Ed...it wasn't a head gasket but an oil cooler on the old F350...we got lucky I guess...!

Stacy

Old 11-08-2009, 11:03 AM
That is great that the bill wasn't so expensive.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:39 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Forced induction IS forced induction....any way you do it will create more power!
As far as SC or turbo on a stock motor:
I know there are alot of superchargers out there that are strong running and for a long time.When done right...it is safe and fun to drive.One of my friends from the forum has over 45,000 boosted miles on his and he IS NOT running normal boost levels but rather high boost(7+ PSI).
The turbo you are talking about IS TPC racing's design.....these guys HAVE been around a long time and I am sure whatever they put out WORKS and works well!
If the deal is right...well you know!
I do know where there is a used VF supercharger for sale for a 997(at half the price of a new one) and IT is a complete kit.....need nothing other than the ECU tune.
Stacy
Well, it is just that thing... I am still not sure if I do want it or not, plus it is difficult to predict what complications will it create, on other side you`re right - there are plenty of samples when it is fine, but, from other perspective, percentage of custom FI cars running on stock engines is close to nothing compared to overall number of cars out there. And one way or another, stock engine is not designed to handle such an abuse. And my car will not ever have a luxury of traveling around in a trailer, I got it to drive it.

And from practical perspective alone, that is what worries me - you need to get new bigger injectors, reprogram ECU who knows how and to what standards, increase cylinder pressure to who knows what limit - how much resource will it do to stock engine considering I do want this car to live relatively happily for at least 10 more years or so.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G-tech+mods=power