997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

G-tech+mods=power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 12:50 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
It all comes down to risk/reward trade-off. If you are concerned about practical aspects, then you shouldn't likely consider a major mod like a SC. It could be argued that you took a risk with putting a Softronic ECU in your car too. But apparently you felt the reward outweighed the risk in that case. Similarly, those opting for a SC feel the reward outweighs any possible risks.

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by keninirvine
It all comes down to risk/reward trade-off. If you are concerned about practical aspects, then you shouldn't likely consider a major mod like a SC. It could be argued that you took a risk with putting a Softronic ECU in your car too. But apparently you felt the reward outweighed the risk in that case. Similarly, those opting for a SC feel the reward outweighs any possible risks.
well, it`s like apples and oranges really - to compare custom tune that has minor adjustments on stock parts generally sacrificing emissions compliance and completely putting engine into out of any specs territory with different injectors, twice (?) higher compression, etc, etc. Plus most worrying thing here is lack of statistical data, especially with people like Stacy and Larry lagging their modded wonders in trailers and storing them in garages all year long instead of beating crap out of them on a track.

Plus again, I noticed I have a tendency to think about it more while writing about it on forums than while sitting inside of the car driving it.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:15 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I think most of the SC'd cars have been driven hard without problems. I was with Stacy last month when he ran with the Lambo, and believe me, he was on it hard for a number of runs that day. When he drives his car in normal traffic conditions, you would not know he had a SC in the car. It runs and sounds exactly the same as a normally aspirated car. But when he puts his foot in it, the car comes alive with amazing linear response that no NA car can produce. I was very surprised at how adaptable his car is to different types of driving conditions.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
well, it`s like apples and oranges really - to compare custom tune that has minor adjustments on stock parts generally sacrificing emissions compliance and completely putting engine into out of any specs territory with different injectors, twice (?) higher compression, etc, etc. Plus most worrying thing here is lack of statistical data, especially with people like Stacy and Larry lagging their modded wonders in trailers and storing them in garages all year long instead of beating crap out of them on a track.

Plus again, I noticed I have a tendency to think about it more while writing about it on forums than while sitting inside of the car driving it.

Keninirvine sums it up in his posts really well.......

There are 100's of kits out there....NOT everyone is on these forums but there are a few(on the forum) that BEAT the living crap out of their cars on the track and on the street with the supercharger.I have over 10,000 boosted miles on mine now.Please do not confuse myself(a guy who will trailer his car) with the others on the forum that DO drive theirs!
I am and confess to babying my car when it comes to the weather......

I know the guy I bought my charger from had a gas pedal that had two settings....'ON' and 'OFF' and he had the charger for over 30,000 miles and he was a track king who also managed to have his car tested in a magazine agaist three other Porsches....of which they rated his the best car(and not just because of the charger but as a package)

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-magazine.html

I also think that 1999 Porsche911 has had his charger set-up for over 45,000 miles and his has/had alot more boost than anyone I know!

They used to say this same thing you are when I was buiding the Acura NSX and many of those cars are boosted and putting down over 500 RWHP on stock everything.So go figure!

Understand there will nah sayers with every mod THAT will make significant power.I am pretty sure that nobody knows the true boundries of our motors.
The questions and ponders you are looking for answers too.....really just don't exist because no two motors will be the same.As far as percentage of supercharged motors VS NA(stock) cars will always be a small percentage.IF....when you bought your car you knew you wanted alot more power...chances are you probably would have bought a turbo instaed!
At anywhere from $8,000-12,000....it is NOT a cheap upgrade but is the only one that will make that kind of power gain for the money!
NOTHING else will compare!

If you are looking for someone to twist your arm to do the mod.....won't happen from me...all I can do is tell you how intoxicating the car does feel on the street!
If you are really worried about consequences,then quite possibly FI IS NOT the right choice for you!
I figure if something does happen to my motor(and by no means am I finacially well off),I will make the best of it.....I would love to sleeve the block and 'UP' the boost level even more,LOL!
Any mod can have complications...we all know that.....and obviously I am one who likes the added 105 net RWHP and is willing to live with the results/consequences...if there are any!

GL in your decision!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 11-09-2009 at 06:59 PM.
Old 11-10-2009, 11:22 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I was with Stacy last month when he ran with the Lambo, and believe me, he was on it hard for a number of runs that day.
Was the 500Hp Lambo egear version? What was the final result? Nice match

J.Seven

Old 11-10-2009, 12:03 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by J.Seven
Was the 500Hp Lambo egear version? What was the final result? Nice match

J.Seven
Yup it was and it can shift alot faster than my manual,LOL!

Here are a couple of links..the write-up if the first link and a video in the second...

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...9-post478.html

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...1-post481.html

Enjoy!

Stacy

Old 11-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Two more cars tested today.......
I will also update the first post.

keninirvine

2007 Carrera Targa 4S

3620 lbs with driver

52 F day

PSE exhaust
AWE high flow cats
x-51 headers

291.5 net RWHP

kcphuah

996 Turbo

3770 lbs with driver

42 F day

UMW Stage 2C set up
UMW fueling kit
blown 6 intercoolers
Europipe Exhaust

530 net RWHP

Last edited by justatoy; 11-21-2009 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:08 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
It would be great to have a table with all this results. Great Job.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by J.Seven
It would be great to have a table with all this results. Great Job.
I am updating the first post as the tests come in.....it is the best I can do for now!

Stacy

Old 12-04-2009, 01:36 PM
I am looking forward to having a 997 TPC turbo set-up to test!

Anyway,just had another update(Thanks Jason)!

angldrkns9
2004 996 4S
3801 lbs with driver(plus tons of stereo)
52 F
Protosport custom mufflers (exhaust was on bypass muffler mode and only cats)
VF supercharger making 4.1 PSI of boost
338 netRWHP

Last edited by justatoy; 12-04-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
silk is infamous around these partssilk is infamous around these parts
This is really interesting, thanks Stacy !!
I wish I were in the States.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by silk
This is really interesting, thanks Stacy !!
I wish I were in the States.
come on, just buy a GTech meter and join the fun

Old 12-10-2009, 11:17 PM
What model do I need to get ? 2007 GTech Pro EGS ?

Old 12-10-2009, 11:22 PM
Originally Posted by silk
What model do I need to get ? 2007 GTech Pro EGS ?
Too fancy,LOL...

You can find the old model,like we are using on craigslist for $50...or get the gtech pro SS or RR.

Stacy

Old 12-10-2009, 11:24 PM
What is 'craiglist' ? I'm in Shanghai, China

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G-tech+mods=power