997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

G-tech+mods=power

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
G-tech+mods=power

Well here it is......
There seems to be a few people who are going to use a Gtech performance meter to calculate the RWHP of their cars......
So the deal is to get the gtech(I have circulating around the USA),you will need to pay shipping charges from the last place it was shipped.Ususally this is 'peanuts' in the USA and well worth it!
Especially IF you can get a few guys together and share the shipping costs.When we were out we managed to get 4 cars together and we had a great time!

So if you do end up getting,I just ask that you use it in a timely manner(few days) and be prepared to accept a shipping payment from the next guy in line!
If you can work with those parameters "Let the games begin"....!

You will need a fairly accurate weight of your car(and NOT the one listed in the owners manual).I went to truck scale to weigh my car and the scale measured in 10 pound increments...another option for weighing would be the garbage dump.
Once weighed...a flat road is a must and the proper info programmed into the G-tech.
So the criteria is as follows:

Year and model of car

Accurate weight of your car with you in it

Temp outside on the day tested

Try and do your run with the same amount of fuel in your car as the day you weighed it

3rd gear run from 3000 rpm to redline

flat and straight road so you can do a run in both directions at which point you will take the average

accurate data programmed into the G-tech

Once set-up...ease through first and second gear and then hard on the throttle in 3rd gear from 3000 rpm-redline

MOST IMPORTANT thing of all IS to BE SAFE when doing it!

and a whole bunch of good faith/honesty

So allow me to start this off with mine.

2005 Carrera C2S cab(stock 284 netRWHP)
3650 pounds(with me in it)
65 F day
Fabspeed muflers
Fabspeed headers
AWE high flow cats
Modified VF supercharger
oil catch can(custom)
20" tires and wheels
401 net rwhp

2005 Porsche Carrera coupe C2S(strashek)
65 F day
stock
3,395 lbs with driver
296 net RWHP

2009 Lamborghini Gallardo LP560-4(whitecoupe)
65 F day
stock
3,704 lbs with driver
460 net RWHP

1999 Porsche C2(199Porsche911)
45 F day
Modified VF supercharger(9+ PSI)
2002 C4S mufflers
440.5 netRWHP

keninirvine
2007 Carrera Targa 4S
3620 lbs with driver
52 F day
X-51 Headers
AWE high flow cats
PSE exhaust
X-51 headers
291.5 net RWHP

kcphuah
2003 996 Turbo
3770 lbs with driver
42 F day
UMW Stage 2C set up
UMW fueling kit
blown 6 intercoolers
Europipe Exhaust
530 net RWHP

angldrkns9
2004 996 4S
3801 lbs with driver(plus tons of stereo)
52 F
Protosport custom mufflers and GT3 cats (exhaust was on bypass muffler mode and only cats)
VF supercharger making 4.1 PSI of boost
338 netRWHP

Stacy

PS will update as people get me their info

Last edited by justatoy; 04-18-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'm only posting this to be part of history, since this is Stacy's attempt to create yet another record thread with 30,000 or more views.

Just for the record, and to ensure everyone is clear, the GTech type of reading provides NET horsepower, not RWHP due to the effects of aerodynamic drag etc. that apply to real world readings obtained on the GTech vs readings obtained on a dyno. Before we're done here, I'm sure we'll have determined how to convert NET hp to RWHP with some reasonable level of accuracy.

I'm looking forward to providing the data for my car soon.

Play on.

Last edited by keninirvine; 10-20-2009 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I got my car (2005 997S, heavily modified) weighed today:
car (3,240) + me (150) - crap not usually in the car (20) = 3,370 lbs.

For weighing your car, here's a link to locate truck scales in the US, costs $9:
http://www.bigrigjobs.com/Truck-Scales

G-Tech coming, can't wait!
CATTMAN

Old 10-20-2009, 08:27 PM
lakercarrera is infamous around these parts
I will definetly have to try this, but 400 hp is pretty beasty

Old 10-20-2009, 08:42 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by keninirvine
I'm only posting this to be part of history, since this is Stacy's attempt to create yet another record thread with 30,000 or more views.

Just for the record, and to ensure everyone is clear, the GTech type of reading provides NET horsepower, not RWHP due to the effects of aerodynamic drag etc. that apply to real world readings obtained on the GTech vs readings obtained on a dyno. Before we're done here, I'm sure we'll have determined how to convert NET hp to RWHP with some reasonable level of accuracy.

I'm looking forward to providing the data for my car soon.

Play on.
Glory *****!

Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
I got my car (2005 997S, heavily modified) weighed today:
car (3,240) + me (150) - crap not usually in the car (20) = 3,370 lbs.

For weighing your car, here's a link to locate truck scales in the US, costs $9:
http://www.bigrigjobs.com/Truck-Scales

G-Tech coming, can't wait!
CATTMAN
Obviously if you guys want to claim any consistency in those results you`ll need to ship same Gtech unit to each other otherwise we can use same argument as for dyno runs to claim any result inaccurate. Plus is has to be same tires on all cars and same road, of course, so you`ll need to ship it too.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:45 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Obviously if you guys want to claim any consistency in those results you`ll need to ship same Gtech unit to each other otherwise we can use same argument as for dyno runs to claim any result inaccurate. Plus is has to be same tires on all cars and same road, of course, so you`ll need to ship it too.

That is the plan, Stacey bought one, and has shipped it to the first person. The cars have the same tires on the most part, although you have reminded me that tire pressures should be consistent, or at least measured. The idea of running the test on the same road in both directions and averaging the the results will be the best way to minimize the effects of the this variable.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:07 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !

Yes the same Gtech is being shipped around.
I am also going to have the old Gtech put in the same car at the same time with newer Gtech.......this way we can have a side-by-side comparison of the two units.I believe Ken(keninirvine) or 1999Porsche911 will be performing this comparison.....as they both have the newer Gtech.
IF they show the same peak power than we have a winner.
The trick is IF all Gtech's measure the same number THAN a person can buy one for themselves and do before and after mod runs to compare their results,this would eliminate a ton of variables and we would know EXACTLY how much power that mod made.
I know this isn't an exact method of testing BUT it isn't any worse than two dynos in two different parts of the country!
And the gtech I am shipping around the country is an older model THAT will measure these things with this accuracy:
Here is what they claim in the booklet when set-up properly(and it HAS been tested at the local drag strip......to be true):
+/-
0-60 1/100 sec
60-0 2 feet
1/4 mile ET 1/10 sec
1/4 mile speed 1 mph
horsepower 3 hp
instant G's 2/100 G
Cont. G's 2/100 G

The newer Gtech model gives peak torque but is a little more complicated to use.
I have one of them as well,keninirvine is using it right now,I also bought 1999porsche911 one for a gift(for helping with making car alot quicker).
Hopefully they will figure out how to use them!
And besides SINCE 1999 is in Chicago and I am in Vancouver,Canada....him and I will find out who is quicker,LOL!
Could it be possible THAT the student could finally beat the teacher!?

Besides THIS is meant to be fun and may lend itself to some good ribbing along the way!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 10-21-2009 at 08:24 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
It should also be noted that driving from east to west will produce better numbers since you have the advantage of the earth rotating towards you.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:35 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
It should also be noted that driving from east to west will produce better numbers since you have the advantage of the earth rotating towards you.
Your engine is a real mistery, you should send it to Porsche for them to check it, study it and put on Porsche Museum with a plate in front stating "The Rarity, a 1999 build 3.4L SC engine that never blown out"

Stacy, great thread. Where can I get this device and how much does it cost? Does it measure in Km/h? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by J.Seven; 10-21-2009 at 11:38 AM.
Old 10-21-2009, 11:55 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by justatoy
Yes the same Gtech is being shipped around.
Count me in then in this shipping list I am also curious to measure something up.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Originally Posted by J.Seven
Your engine is a real mistery, you should send it to Porsche for them to check it, study it and put on Porsche Museum with a plate in front stating "The Rarity, a 1999 build 3.4L SC engine that never blown out"

Stacy, great thread. Where can I get this device and how much does it cost? Does it measure in Km/h? Thanks in advance.
These are available on-line or your local race shop.But before you buy one lets see how the old G-techs compare with the New ones.
I have 2 old ones and 2 new ones right now!
There are few models for the new ones Gtech pro SS and RR.
The old one is extremely easy to use,whereas the new ones seem to be a bit more difficult....or at least until we get used to them.
The best results will be buying your own and doing runs before and right after your mod is done,this way you/we will know exactly the peak power difference.
If you would like to BORROW the one I am allowing everyone to use hang tight,it is 'out' right now!

Count me in then in this shipping list I am also curious to measure something up.
Sweet,this truely WILL be a great/fun thread!
Pm me where you are located.....

So the deal is to get the gtech,you will need to pay shipping charges from the last place it was shipped.Ususally this is 'peanuts' in the USA and well worth it!
Especially IF you can get a few guys together and share the shipping costs.When we were out we managed to get 4 cars together and we had a great time!

So if you do end up getting,I just ask that you use it in a timely manner(few days) and be prepared to accept a shipping payment from the next guy in line!
If you can work with those parameters "Let the games begin"....!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 10-21-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:37 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
One quick question on the Gtech pro-- Does it have a function to calibrate the accelerometers for changes in ambient temp????

Old 10-21-2009, 08:45 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JohnM
One quick question on the Gtech pro-- Does it have a function to calibrate the accelerometers for changes in ambient temp????
The manual for the Pro RR model says the following:
The G-tech accelerometers are calibrated at 2 different temperatures at the factory, so it is able to maintain accuracy across a wide range of temps. To maintain accuracy, the T-tech monitors temp with a built-in thermal sensor. If it detects that the current temp is far from the calibration temp, it displays a message advising that you go to configuration mode to re-calibrate.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:55 PM
JohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud ofJohnM has much to be proud of
wow, that is pretty cool! I had the original gtech and it was not nearly as sophisticated. Thanks for the info!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: G-tech+mods=power