997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

2010 Porsche Turbo 0-60 3.2s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:08 AM
DaveC is infamous around these parts
While I agree that the DFI 9A1 has yet to prove itself, the folklore that surrounds the split case GT1 obscures a lot of reality. These engines can and do break, and repairs are expensive, sometimes very expensive. There are a plethora of 996TT on the market with essentially the same engine which has done nothing to improve their rapidly declining resale value. Now that PDK is faster to 60 and around the Ring than the manual these performance figures seem to have lost a lot of their significance for "true enthusiasts". We need a new benchmark for "involvement".

Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
All season superduper car that you can put your (small) kids in. This is my next ride. However, I will wait a couple years and pick one up after that depreciation hit.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:01 PM
Izwar is infamous around these parts
such a beauty hopefully upgrading to that in a year

Old 10-28-2009, 06:24 PM
reewrd is infamous around these parts
amazing.

i think most would agree that speed, power and practicality are pretty much the hallmarks of a tt. with that said, the pdk and bigger 3.8 motor can been seen as nothing other than awesome additions to the tt line.

i personally don't care that it doesn't have the gt1 motor. yea, i know porsche is saving $$$$$ per unit by making the switch, but to me it doesn't matter, the bottom line is this car is faster, and better in every way than the tt it is replacing. while some will say "we'll just have to wait and see about that...." but i think this tt will do just fine.

while other cars might make more power, the pdk technology will give the 997.2 tt a real edge. let's face it, if a human hand is rowing the gears, whatever you drive is going to struggle against this beast - especially from a standing start.

i think tuners will get another reliable 100 - 150hp out of it easy. but if it's faster 0-60, or 0-100, than most of the fastest cars in the world as it sits stock, you might not even need it. heck, unless your name is eddie bello, this thing is going to surprise a lot people

Old 10-28-2009, 07:47 PM
C70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these partsC70Pete is infamous around these parts
what a FUGLY steering wheel... its hideous..... the 997.2 steering wheel is perfection... wtf is that in the turbo?

Old 10-28-2009, 07:59 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
i personally don't care that it doesn't have the gt1 motor. yea, i know porsche is saving $$$$$ per unit by making the switch, but to me it doesn't matter, the bottom line is this car is faster, and better in every way than the tt it is replacing.
But it's not "faster or better in every way " . In fact the 996 Turbo holds speed records over the 997tt as a result of tuners who have had more time to perfect the older car . So if speed is all that matters then you could beat the 2010 tt with a modded 996tt and still have 100K or so in your pocket.

Nor is it "better" if cost cutting rather than improved quality was the priority .

In fact the 2010 Turbo still has a lot of unknowns and granted it may end up proving itself as a fantastic car but so far all one can do is look at what insn't and speculate about what is.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:59 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
The Murci SV is 0-60 in 2.8 its second to the Veyron and it also cracks off a 10 second 1/4 mile time. But for having about 170 less hp and being alot cheaper the new Turbo is a beast!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 PM
Originally Posted by yrralis1
But it's not "faster or better in every way " . In fact the 996 Turbo holds speed records over the 997tt as a result of tuners who have had more time to perfect the older car . So if speed is all that matters then you could beat the 2010 tt with a modded 996tt and still have 100K or so in your pocket.

Nor is it "better" if cost cutting rather than improved quality was the priority .

In fact the 2010 Turbo still has a lot of unknowns and granted it may end up proving itself as a fantastic car but so far all one can do is look at what insn't and speculate about what is.
i am aware you can make good power with a 996tt or 997tt, but i think if you read my post, i wasn't talking about speed records, or the ultimate hp potential of 996 or 997 vs. 997.2 - nobody knows that answer yet.

stock, 996tt to 997.1tt to 997.2tt pdk - again stock - the 997.2tt pdk is a better performer. then with all the cool interior electronics like the ipod, touch screen, bluetooth, plus the center lock wheels and paddles for the pdk, this tt is faster and better in every way - period - and all with a full factory warranty i might add. these are facts and not speculation.

as far as reliability, as you mention that remains to be seen, but i have no reason to believe you won't be able to beat the living snot out of it just like every other 911.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:07 PM
AlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant futureAlexM has a brilliant future
Another important point to note is that most Porsche customers are buying these cars because of their pedigree first and then for their racing capabilities. You have timeless design, you have simple yet stylish interiors, you have racing engines and beefy internals, you have reliable everyday practicality and uncompromised build quality. Regardless of what 997TT.2 is, Porsche as an organization seems to be moving away from what makes them... well... Porsche. At least when it comes to Turbo.

I may change my mind when I drive this car and may even order it. But for now, I am sort of cold.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Originally Posted by AlexM
Another important point to note is that most Porsche customers are buying these cars because of their pedigree first and then for their racing capabilities. You have timeless design, you have simple yet stylish interiors, you have racing engines and beefy internals, you have reliable everyday practicality and uncompromised build quality. Regardless of what 997TT.2 is, Porsche as an organization seems to be moving away from what makes them... well... Porsche. At least when it comes to Turbo.

I may change my mind when I drive this car and may even order it. But for now, I am sort of cold.
i can see that too - and as well all know, many would agree the turbo and other 911 variants have become too "fluffy" since the 993.

i remember driving a friend's twin plug 930 back in the 80's that was an absolute hoot - it weighed nothing, made over 700hp, and you could launch it up a freeway on-ramp sideways - good times

you could argue the gt3 is the only "pure" 911 porsche still builds - which is why it will be my next car

Old 10-29-2009, 11:34 AM
Arerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant futureArerrac911 has a brilliant future
I wonder if the TT PDK would crack 10second 1/4mile. Apparently the Panamera turbo pdk did it in 11.7!

Old 10-29-2009, 01:31 PM
germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !germeezy1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by reewrd
i can see that too - and as well all know, many would agree the turbo and other 911 variants have become too "fluffy" since the 993.

i remember driving a friend's twin plug 930 back in the 80's that was an absolute hoot - it weighed nothing, made over 700hp, and you could launch it up a freeway on-ramp sideways - good times

you could argue the gt3 is the only "pure" 911 porsche still builds - which is why it will be my next car
IMO a 993 Turbo S would be the penultimate AWD 911 Turbo so raw, so visceral especially when modified. Also lightweight in comparison to the later cars as well.

Old 12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
MrNurse has a spectacular aura aboutMrNurse has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Arerrac911
I wonder if the TT PDK would crack 10second 1/4mile. Apparently the Panamera turbo pdk did it in 11.7!
I'm also waiting on the 1/4 mile times.