997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 Longevity

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 02:55 PM
evolveC4 is infamous around these parts
997 Longevity

Just wondering if there is any high mileage 997's out there, how many miles
and what major problems you have had. Mine has 59700 still running like new.
Only problems were HVAC peeling and clutch switch malfunction. Hoping to get
150,000 to 200,000 miles out of the engine. Am I dreaming?

Old 10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Hope not! I have the same dream as you.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:33 PM
photogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nicephotogS is just really nice
Very interested in this as well.
Thanks for sharing your experience

Old 10-23-2009, 11:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
If not abused a 997 engine should be good for 200k miles.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:32 AM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Taking into account what Iīve seen ever since 1997 when the M96 came out, yes, I believe your are dreaming.
The 996 used to blow their engines like hot cakes, the 997 bloc although the same, seems to last a bit longer, anyway, they still blow in a rate that is totally unacceptable in my view.

Old 10-24-2009, 07:27 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by J.Seven
Taking into account what Iīve seen ever since 1997 when the M96 came out, yes, I believe your are dreaming.
The 996 used to blow their engines like hot cakes, the 997 bloc although the same, seems to last a bit longer, anyway, they still blow in a rate that is totally unacceptable in my view.
I'm very interested in what you are referring to. Can you refer me to the issues aside from the IMS problem prevalent in the early 2005's. I've not heard of any others except for cars that put on a supercharger but probably had a bad tune.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by adias
If not abused a 997 engine should be good for 200k miles.
Thanks, but by abused do you mean over revs or driven hard?

Old 10-24-2009, 11:06 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by evolveC4
Thanks, but by abused do you mean over revs or driven hard?
I mean abused. Missed shifts, driven hard cold, driven hard short distances without proper temp cycling. Have no doubt that many abuse their cars, as I describe, on a daily basis.

Jseven is correct that some M96/M97 engines have self destroyed but they are a minority. The issues are known and correctable (at a cost). 997s mid 06 and newer have more robust RMS and IMF components. There are many cars with over 100k miles and running strong.

Should an engine need repairs it will cost a lot less than trading for a new car anyway.

Last edited by adias; 10-24-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-24-2009, 11:13 AM
To add to what I said... The majority of engine non-OEM mods reduce engine longevity, includind ECU tweaks. I take cover now as many on this forum will now start targeting me.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:31 AM
Thanks adias, my mind is at rest, do you think IPD plenum is a mod that
affects engine durability? It just changes airflow, seems harmless to me.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:33 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
To add to what I said... The majority of engine non-OEM mods reduce engine longevity, includind ECU tweaks. I take cover now as many on this forum will now start targeting me.
I dont think no one should say anything, i think it is kind of true to a certain extent.....

Old 10-24-2009, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by evolveC4
Thanks adias, my mind is at rest, do you think IPD plenum is a mod that
affects engine durability? It just changes airflow, seems harmless to me.
I do not know.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM
J.Seven is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by MLindgren
I'm very interested in what you are referring to. Can you refer me to the issues aside from the IMS problem prevalent in the early 2005's. I've not heard of any others except for cars that put on a supercharger but probably had a bad tune.
I donīt want to scare you, but these M96 engines are not trust worthy. Soot was another issue on 05 engines.
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...w-engines.html

There are people who are running their cars without even knowing they had a replacement engine (second hand cars)
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/997-forum/414033-replacement-engine.html

You can get any kind of problems with this engine... loose bolt and you get a new engine too
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...ew-engine.html

One minute search on any online for sale cars and bang, there you go, many 997 with new engine
http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...n&pageNumber=1

Last edited by J.Seven; 10-24-2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:37 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I agree with you 100% and it's often not discussed on this forum. People need to be aware that getting more (max) out of an engine can shorten it's life or at least incur heavy maintenance costs.

As for the plenum question, it's debatable. Some argue that it's gains if any actually come from smoothing out air turbulence causing some cylinders to run leaner than other cylinders. If this is true (and I have no proof that it is) then that would certainly affect engine wear.

Personally, I like mods that are OE. That is why the only mods I consider doing are X51. Doesn't void warranty and I like that it's all OE. What's good enough for Porsche is good enough for me.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:36 PM
Thanks for all the info, I'll cross my fingers!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 Longevity