997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

iPhone Holder for the Porsche 997 with black interior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 02:02 AM
theufoguy is infamous around these parts
iPhone Holder for the Porsche 997 with black interior

The Problem:
Since I got the Passport 9500ci installed in my center console cubby hole, I've been shopping for a good iPhone holder. After a few weeks searching and not finding anything that would go well with the car's interior, I decided to make my own iPhone holder!

The Solution:
The solution is a simple one and takes about a minute of installation. No tools, glue, etc required and it's fully reversable!

All you need is a Nikon 9635 S-Series Large Leather Case ($24.95)
You can get it at Best Buy or online (http://www.jr.com/nikon/pe/NKN_9635/)
The case's black leather feels a lot like the Porsche interior leather so it goes well with the car's interior (assuming you have a black interior!)

1.) Flatten the flap cover of the case as much as you can

2.) Slip the flap cover under the plastic in the footwell area where the plastic part of the console meets the carpet

3.) Push the flap all the way till the case is almost upright

4.) Push the bottom part of the case towards the wall. You'll see that the "edge" at the bottom of the case goes between the floor carpet and the footwell wall holding the case steady

5.) Plase your iPhone in your new leather iPhone holder

I find that the "footwell pouch" makes it really easy to get to my phone at all times. I got this idea from my old BMW Z4 which had a similar setup.

Hope you find this useful!

Cheers!
-R

Old 10-24-2009, 06:24 AM
porscheman1963 is infamous around these parts
very nice idea, thanks

Old 10-24-2009, 07:45 AM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
Nice, and thanks for taking the time to photograph and write it up!

Old 10-24-2009, 07:58 AM
cheeta is infamous around these parts
thanks, i have black interior on in my 997. i am going to get one today!

Old 10-24-2009, 09:10 AM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
perhaps not your ideal solution, but for me, because I use my iPhone as an iPod, as a GPS and as basically an in car computer, I purchased one of the Pro Clips and I have not looked back since. It blends very well with the car. Very easy to install and make a great mount solution, that is out of the direct sunlight and easy to connect as an iPod. Not to mention, very easy to control the iPhone as needed and it is out of the way of the gear shift. They are kind of pricy though, but worth it in the end for something that looks so nice. Do a Google search for "ProClip iPhone" as I am not sure I can post a link to their site.

As for the DIY and the situation you are faced with, great job on a cheap and simple solution.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 AM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
Awesome...thanks for this!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM
greenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the roughgreenpdk is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by skizot
perhaps not your ideal solution, but for me, because I use my iPhone as an iPod, as a GPS and as basically an in car computer, I purchased one of the Pro Clips and I have not looked back since. It blends very well with the car. Very easy to install and make a great mount solution, that is out of the direct sunlight and easy to connect as an iPod. Not to mention, very easy to control the iPhone as needed and it is out of the way of the gear shift. They are kind of pricy though, but worth it in the end for something that looks so nice. Do a Google search for "ProClip iPhone" as I am not sure I can post a link to their site.

As for the DIY and the situation you are faced with, great job on a cheap and simple solution.
I have the pro clip also and bought an extension cable to go from the center console to the iphone. The problem is the cable is causing problems with the pcm and charging does not work all the time. How are you dealing with the distance from the center console and the pro clip location?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:42 PM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
I also have the ProClip http://www.proclipusa.com/ with my iPhone I use bluetooth and have an ATT charger plugged into the power outlet in the passenger's footwell. Need it out and the screen available to see the notifications and other apps. I use an iPod for a music server with the iPod connection.

Question for others with the ProClip, I haven't used the double stick tape on the mount for concern it will damage the leather but now I'm thinking the movement of the mount will also kind of polish the leather and mark it. What have you done??

Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2009, 05:49 PM
skizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud ofskizot has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by greenpdk
I have the pro clip also and bought an extension cable to go from the center console to the iphone. The problem is the cable is causing problems with the pcm and charging does not work all the time. How are you dealing with the distance from the center console and the pro clip location?
I'm not sure how you mean? I have an 06 with the factory iPod kit which extends from the center console. The cable supplied by Porsche for me is plenty long enough to reach the phone and I am using a Griffin Firewire to USB charger converter on the end to ensure proper charging all the time.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:11 PM
jabed92694 is infamous around these parts
Does this holder work with any iphone case or does the case have to be taken off to hold the phone?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:06 PM
OC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant futureOC Pcar has a brilliant future
looks good..great idea.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by skizot

very cool....
sorry, but a little off topic Skizot what is your wheel size and offset width and what tires

Old 10-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Originally Posted by rvhpno80
very cool....
sorry, but a little off topic Skizot what is your wheel size and offset width and what tires
Just send me a PM, I do not want to hijack this thread.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:05 PM
HunterTurbo is infamous around these parts
Thanks for sharing - this is EXACTLY what I need so I just ordered one from JR.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:02 PM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
I just received mine and put it in the car...excellent solution. Thanks UFOGuy! Now I just need to remember to take the phone with me when I get out of the car...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: iPhone Holder for the Porsche 997 with black interior