997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.
View Poll Results: Bought or leased?
bought
81.40%
leased
18.60%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Bought or Leased?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
LagunaDallas is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by og risker
I see what appears to be a great number of what appears to be "trophy wives" driving 911's around town which makes me wonder if more people lease overall???
Trophy Wife = Leased Car? Where's the logic in that? Any real sugar daddy should be paying in CASH. I leased mine for business tax write-off purposes, and my business certainly is not that of supporting a trophy wife. They are far too expensive! LOL

Old 10-29-2009, 07:30 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by LagunaDallas
Trophy Wife = Leased Car? Where's the logic in that? Any real sugar daddy should be paying in CASH. I leased mine for business tax write-off purposes, and my business certainly is not that of supporting a trophy wife. They are far too expensive! LOL
LagunaDallas,

The trick is turn in the car AND the T-wife every 3 years for younger newer model! young padawan

Old 10-29-2009, 07:42 PM
bolobar is infamous around these parts
Interesting....I believe it would be safe to say that 99% of people on this board either are or can claim to be "enthusiasts" to varying degrees. Hence, statistical data leaning to purchase over lease.

However, I wonder what percentage of 911 drivers are enthusiasts when you consider the "whole lot" of 911 customers?

I see what appears to be a great number of what looks to be "trophy wives" and/or little old Asian ladies driving 911's around town which makes me wonder if more people lease overall???

No offense intended (1/4 Asian). Just observations.

I also live in a quiet neighborhood in CA and, being an enthusiast, what bothers me about a lot of Porsche drivers is that they have no idea about the tradition and history of Porsche. They most likely lease a "trophy car" in addition to their "trophy wife." It is disappointing that so many owners don't acknowledge a fellow driver. Not a wave, or a flash of lights. PCA members they are not.

Last edited by bolobar; 10-29-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 08:17 PM
LagunaDallas,

The trick is turn in the car AND the T-wife every 3 years for younger newer model! young padawan
Now that, my friend, would get VERY expensive! A trophy *girlfriend* is a much better investment if one is concerned about future expenses.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by bolobar
It is disappointing that so many owners don't acknowledge a fellow driver. Not a wave, or a flash of lights.
I give them the finger if they flash their lights at me! Kidding, of course. I admit that I don't give much acknowledgment to other 911 drivers around town since there are so many around here, but definitely so when I'm on the open highway or on a back road. 90% of the time the gesture is returned (and not with a finger!).

Old 10-29-2009, 08:45 PM
Tom N C4S NC is infamous around these parts
A leasing advantage not yet mentioned . . .

A lease locks in a residual value at the end of the lease, so you know the depreciation over the lease term. This can be to your advantage if the vehicle depreciates more than anticipated, because you can turn it in if you don't want to keep it, or possibly buy the car at its auction value from the leasing vendor, shifting the excess depreciation from you (if you bought) to the leasing company.

I leased a Range Rover in 99 that was worth 20% less than the residual at lease end, and bought it, certified by the dealer, for well under the residual value.

Leasing would also allow you to turn in a car that had been wrecked and repaired, whereas if you own the car, you own the car, which if wrecked and repaired is worth less than a car with no accident history.

I've financed, leased, and paid cash depending on the deal and my stage in life.

It is about getting the car you want at a price you find fair and paying for it in a way that works for you and your time frame for this car.