997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Another 997.2 exhaust question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 PM
299moto is infamous around these parts
Another 997.2 exhaust question

I know this has probably been beat to death, but Im trying to decide between the Sharkwerks center bypass or the RS1 System that eliminates the side muffs.

Mostly weekend driving & just want a nice exotic sound. I'm in a cab so I'm dealin with wind noise anyways, just dont want race car loud.

Opinions from those who have either?

Old 10-26-2009, 01:01 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
I don't have either and both are reputable shops, but I kinda like the design of the RS1 and the sound it produces.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !JmanE55 Is a GOD !
Hey B, you should look into the Tubi system.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:45 PM
zschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud ofzschicago has much to be proud of
I installed the AWE cross pipes with the factory side cans. Sounds better, but not enough. Im going to replace the side casn soon with one of the many options. I just haven't decided what. I think the center only exhaust is too loud, especially with a cab.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:50 PM
ZoSo_DXB is infamous around these parts
Well, the tubi system is well behaved- quite under light throttle- loud when you dig into the throttle. A bit on the expensive side.

The shrkwerks bypass wont add a substantial increase in sound, but it provides a sportier sound.( im not sure, but they state in their website that its close to a porsche sport exhaust)

The rennsport-1 system deletes the side mufflers so you get an increase in sound and a reduction in weight.

Loudest would be : Rennsport one- then the tubi system- then the sharkwerks bypass.

please correct me if im wrong!

Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 PM
mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !mdrums Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ZoSo_DXB
Well, the tubi system is well behaved- quite under light throttle- loud when you dig into the throttle. A bit on the expensive side.

The shrkwerks bypass wont add a substantial increase in sound, but it provides a sportier sound.( im not sure, but they state in their website that its close to a porsche sport exhaust)

The rennsport-1 system deletes the side mufflers so you get an increase in sound and a reduction in weight.

Loudest would be : Rennsport one- then the tubi system- then the sharkwerks bypass.

please correct me if im wrong!
Yep you are correct. I made a very detailed review of all these systems as I have heard them in person and/or had them on my car.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Former Vendor
Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !Tom@Champion Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by zschicago
I installed the AWE cross pipes with the factory side cans. Sounds better, but not enough. Im going to replace the side casn soon with one of the many options. I just haven't decided what. I think the center only exhaust is too loud, especially with a cab.
We currently have Cargraphics side mufflers with Sharkwerks center muffler bypass on our shop car. Great combination! Let me know if you'd like some pricing info.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Banned
997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !997FL Is a GOD !
We cant keep the RS1 system in stock and decided to throw the Cargraphic mufflers on in order to get a proper review and we are very pleased with the system. Under light load you don't even notice the exhaust is there however under WOT its another story =)

CG Supersound Export System with Sharkwerks center muffler bypass pipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX22IzmIhgk

Old 10-26-2009, 05:22 PM
07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough07speed is a jewel in the rough
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fabspeed x-pipe? Is that not a good system? Seems when both engine banks communicate with each other, the sound is more deeper, sportier than with a true dual exaust.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Originally Posted by 07speed
Why hasn't anyone mentioned the fabspeed x-pipe? Is that not a good system? Seems when both engine banks communicate with each other, the sound is more deeper, sportier than with a true dual exaust.
Yes there is the fabspeed x-pipe that deletes the resonator. Im not sure but awe states that an x pipe design actually sacrifices a little bit of power for the sound. On the other hand, fabspeed claim it increases power. Im NO expert but i guess the collison of the air paths does create a slight power loss

Someone more knowledgable should chime in here.....

Old 10-27-2009, 12:49 AM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
friend of mine has fabspeed center delete and hacked sides and it sounds amazing.

im not sure if the X pipe'd fabspeed or the direct pipe sharkwerx would be louder though.. i heard the X makes it quieter? his hack without the middle was mellow, with the middle bypass made it sound very euro.

-alex

Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 AM
Former Vendor
Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !Fabspeed Motorsport Is a GOD !
Our X Pipe design works great and makes a nice sound difference over the regular Sharkweks and AWE over and under pipes. Because the exhaust gases talk to each other, it creates a high and low pressure at the X which in return creates a scavenging affect, pulling the exhaust gases out of the car faster to improve exhaust flow and power.
Our dual tone mufflers work great with either setup and I have it installed a set with an AWE cross pipe and it sounded good. If you are guys are interested in trying the X pipe out and seeing the difference it makes, I will make a one time special offer for you. PM me or email me if you are interested.
Thanks,

Here is a video of the Mufflers with our X Pipe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4HbDRh3FvM

Last edited by Fabspeed Motorsport; 10-27-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:16 AM
cnesq is infamous around these partscnesq is infamous around these parts
Hi,

I have a 2009 4S and the only modification is a Fabspeed X-pipe. First the quality of the pipe is amazing! and secondly it does add a little flavor to the exhaust note. It is not very loud but under load it does sound awesome. I will make a short video clip soon and post it for your listening pleasure.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Also i forgot to mention, i have the fabspeed carbon intake. It does add a nice sound when you dig into the throttle. quality is perfect, easy installation. i think its a good option if you couple it with the awe crossover pipe, shrakwerks bypass pipe, or the fabspeed x pipe. should give you a nice tone that is not over the top.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor
Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !Dan@SharkWerks Is a GOD !
When we first purchased our 2009 PDK Carrera S, we tried several options and I am quite familiar with removing mufflers on these cars now! Here's my opinion on things for what it's worth:
-Bypassing both side mufflers and relying only on the center muffler makes the exhaust way too loud for my tastes. The center muffler just does not do enough, and the drone/resonance is unbearable, like driving a race car down the street.

-Bypassing the center muffler with same-diameter cross-over pipes (each bank remaining independent as in the factory exhaust) makes the exhaust a bit raspier/more aggressive and turns up the volume under wide open throttle. It's definitely not as loud or as exotic as most complete aftermarket muffler replacement cat-back exhausts, but it's a good compromise for a daily driver.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hacv6GbN4M

-Bypassing the center muffler with an X-pipe gave a unique sound (and I did like it), but we felt the volume was not a significant enough change from factory, not loud enough, and the x-collector has to be pretty large or you could further restrict flow, so we decided not to produce this item.

-The 3-piece Tubi sounds great, but costs quite a bit more and is trickier to install than the bypass pipes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnfS9ZzIFxw

-I have not heard the Cargraphic on these cars yet, but it does sound really nice on the 997.1 cars.

We went for the cross-over bypass design as an easy way to add some noise without purchasing a more expensive complete system. If I were putting an exhaust on my personal 2009, I would buy a Tubi. But I like things to be a bit louder than some, and for those who want a more subtle or affordable option, the crossover bypass design works well.

We have not dynoed the Tubi, but the crossover style picked up 12 HP to the wheels with 91 octane on a PDK car. I imagine the Tubi would result in at least similar horsepower gains if not more.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Another 997.2 exhaust question