997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Do you have to change the rain sensor during a windshield replacement?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 08:09 PM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Do you have to change the rain sensor during a windshield replacement?

Hi All,

My windshield was replaced last month and I've noticed that my rain sensing system is no longer very sensitive - they used to work perfectly, in fact this had been the best implementation I had yet seen on any of the cars I have owned with this feature.

I've searched the forums (including Renn and Planet 9) on this topic and seen several people say that the rain sensor must be replaced during a windshield replacement. I am almost positive that mine was not and I wanted to find out if anyone knows definitively if it must be replaced.

Also, do any of you know if the sensor can be re-calibrated?

Thanks,
Shawn

Old 10-28-2009, 08:42 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the rain sensor is part of the windshield itself. So a replacement windshield needs to be ordered with the rain sensor. If your replacement has one, but it isn't working as well as before, I don't know what can be done about it regarding calibration. Good luck with it.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:47 PM
wa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of lightwa1l1in is a glorious beacon of light
sensor has like a gummy piece of rubber holding it to windshield.. i removed mine to get my front window tinted..

if you take it off and dont cover it up it could dry slightly and not be as sensitive, the sensor is plastic and hard, the jelly piece is what sticks and sends the motion to sensor.. you might be able to just order a new jelly gasket thing..if you take the shroud off, pull the mirror off, in the middle is the sensor.. pull it out..

or look from the outside and see if it looks like its not stuck 100%. i pulled mine off, got tinted.. had it inside a plastic baggy, put it back on and it worked fine. might have air bubble in it too, then just push the bubble out.

-alexandr

Old 10-31-2009, 06:50 AM
ShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud ofShawnBoston has much to be proud of
Hi Guys, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the advice. I am taking it back to the shop this week and we'll see if we can get the problem fixed (or if I am going to replace the sensor).
Shawn