997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

I Hit A Deer Last Evening

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:49 AM
B R A N D X® is infamous around these parts
I Hit A Deer Last Evening

No......not in my new C2S so you can all take a deep breath and get your heart rates under control.

However, out where I live the deer population is completely out of control.

This is our second, unavoidable, hit in three years; both times causing $3K+ worth of front end damage. We see them constantly out where I live.

And, even though it wasn't my Carrera, thank God, it *was* in my wife's one year old X5 so not exactly a beater.

The deer shot out at a 45 degree angle to the road at a full gallop directly in to traffic and from out of nowhere from my side of the road. I reacted immediately and slammed on the brakes, but the deer's left, hind hoof nailed the left, front of the X5 before the deer was slammed full force by the oncoming Yukon in the opposite lane. The front of that SUV was totally messed up, airbags activated etc.....My wife car will have to, at least, have the entire front left fender replaced/painted which we all know is never the same as factory paint no matter how good the body shop.

After getting out to inspect the damage and curse the dying deer we finally got back in the X5, thankful the damage wasn't worse, and within 1/4 mile noticed a herd of about 30 deer in the field to our right.

I don't know what to do at this point. I no longer feel safe driving my Carrera out in my area other than in broad daylight. There's absolutely no way I can drive my Carrera to work without having to drive it home during the worst possible time of day for deer hits.......dusk or shortly after.

Fortunately I have an '09 Jetta TDI that's my main commuter, but I do enjoy driving the Carrera on particularly nice days.

I know we place to much emphasis on material items in the world we live in today, but if this had happened to my Porsche I'd be incredibly upset.

Suggestions are welcomed.

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 11-03-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 06:56 AM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
Get a $5 set of deer whistles at Target and install them on all of your vehicles. They are small and black and install in the front where they can get airflow. They emit a high frequency noise that alerts and usually freezes the deer before you get too close. There are lots of deer where I am in central MA but we have never hit a deer and have observed the effect many times. They really work. I have a set on all my families cars including my 2009 C4S.

Good luck

Old 11-02-2009, 07:07 AM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
I would definetly look into the Flir system, this is the same system BMW uses on their cars.

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/transportation/

Old 11-02-2009, 08:04 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by B R A N D X®
No......not in my new C2S so you can all take a deep breath and get your heart rates under control.

However, out where I live the deer population is completely out of control.
Well, environmentalists did a lot of damage to this country, deers problem is bad but thank God it is not like in CA where mother nature burns down houses with people because some folks were so concerned about those nice little animals who may die during those controlled burn-outs.

Unfortunately it is much easier to exterminate hunters and predators than educate deers from not jumping into highways. I am glad you`re OK, some people get really hurt after such collisions and I did hit a deer couple of times too, it is very nasty. Thankfully I was going relatively slow both times.

I wish someone would start class action and sue for all related costs those anti-hunting organizations. Here in MA you even cannot shoot down a stupid turkey what wanders over your own backyard... Damn liberal morons completely turned everything upside down in this society and they keep pretending like that is how it`s supposed to be.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:05 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
sorry to hear that....

Old 11-02-2009, 10:47 AM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear that. As others said, deer and other control measures have gone out the window, and humans have to pay for it. We are the only ones not allowed in the planet. Wait... but that policy is set by humans too... ah, hey must be 'special' humans.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Get a large rifle and get your hunting license. Time to get even!

Old 11-02-2009, 12:30 PM
shawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really niceshawminator is just really nice
I live in Austin, and we have deer everywhere in the suburbs. I've seen two cars hit deer in front of me and had to help sort out the aftermath. Not pretty for anyone, especially the deer. I even had an uber close call myself in my previous 996 where a deer jumped out in front of me on the highway while I was going 55 mph. To the credit of the handling capabilities of my Porsche, I was able to swerve with precision, miss the deer and maintain control of my car. If had been in my Mercedes E Class, there would not have been a chance of pulling off the split second maneuver I did...Koudos Porsche.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:01 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by 2020
I would definetly look into the Flir system, this is the same system BMW uses on their cars.

http://www.flir.com/cvs/americas/en/transportation/

Useless if it is the same as BMW. I had it on my 550i. By the time you see something in that screen, way too late, and I had almost always seen it first on the road, then checked the screen - sometimes barely noticeable. It did have a cool x-ray vision effect on people -

Old 11-02-2009, 01:31 PM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
Shawminator, know what you mean, they are like ants here, arent they!

Stevepow, agreed, not enough time to react.

Ervjohns, I have seen these mounted on the top of bumpers to get sufficient airflow, but I was wondering if they would get enough airflow mounted in the radiator cavities???

Old 11-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by adias
Sorry to hear that. As others said, deer and other control measures have gone out the window, and humans have to pay for it. We are the only ones not allowed in the planet. Wait... but that policy is set by humans too... ah, hey must be 'special' humans.

Just to argue some of a different perspective.. its not like it is impossible to build highway systems that account for the migratory needs of the local fauna, right? Given that we humans are spreading into every nook and cranny on the planet, we might want to consider, as we build out, how best to integrate, rather than just try and stomp out, with the local flora and fauna. Because the flora and fauna will win in the end... either overpowering what we build, or as a result of the imbalance their absence causes.

Old 11-02-2009, 01:48 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I have eliminated 2 Bambi's in the last 40 years. The First in my new 67 Vette in Missouri in 69 and the second in my 87 Westfalia Camper this summer outside of Denver.
Both times there was no warning and no time to react, they just jumped in front, and were toast.
Doing the same in my 997 is a big fear, especially in NJ.
I have read conflicting articles on the performance of whistles, and there is no great place to mount them anyway.
So, just be careful and be lucky!

Old 11-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Alan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond reputeAlan has a reputation beyond repute
21 y.o. girl killed by deer

Consider yourself lucky. I worked with a young girl who hit a deer - the deer went through the windshield, was wounded and kicked the girl repeatedly in the head causing the fatality.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:12 PM
PHDX2 is infamous around these partsPHDX2 is infamous around these parts
Sorry to hear this, but thankfully you weren’t injured.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:20 PM
ervjohns is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by talkinghead
Shawminator, know what you mean, they are like ants here, arent they!

Stevepow, agreed, not enough time to react.

Ervjohns, I have seen these mounted on the top of bumpers to get sufficient airflow, but I was wondering if they would get enough airflow mounted in the radiator cavities???
I have mine mounted in the grille under the bumper, I will try top post a pic,

So far, so good

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Hit A Deer Last Evening