997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

New Steering Wheel 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 PM
marc2828 is infamous around these parts
New Steering Wheel 997

I am new to this forum, but thought I'd make a post in thanks for reading many in the past. I just installed this steering wheel that I had made by Ivan at Dctms.com I am a real traditional "stock" person and do not like to mess with the OEM cars. I have seen a lot of neat interior upgrades and changes, but I always think the original looks best. However, after driving my 911S for over a year, the steering wheel always bothered me. My Infiniti FX had a nicer thicker wheel. I looked at Agla leather, at Techart, at the Alcantara wheels, the Gamballa,etc. None really suited my tastes. Then on one of the posts on this site, I saw a Mercedes wheel made by DCTMS. After looking at all the pics for all the types of wheels they make, I was sold. This wheel was only $850, but I have to send my Oem wheel back. The detail on the stitching and the leather is awesome. It looks OEM and really matches the interior. I like the triangle multifunction wheel better than the circle one and think the feel of this wheel is great. Take a look at the detailed PDF instructions with pics. If you are somewhat handy, you can do this yourself. 2 local dealers said they would not install a non OEM wheel. ...Marc
UPDATE - On the highway, the wheel was slightly off. So I took the battery off, popped the airbag, and took out the center bolt, and moved the wheel one notch over. Now it is perfect. I can't think of how, without luck, you can get this right on the first shot. It looked straight initially. No big deal, but thought I'd mention this.

Attached Images  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Steering Wheel Install.pdf (143.3 KB, 364 views)

Last edited by marc2828; 11-06-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: update
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough996CABOVA is a jewel in the rough
Thats a sweet wheel man...I too hate my 997S wheel. My M3s had the thicker wheel and my 335XI has a Thicker Wheel. And $850 isnt a bad price. Oh man this mod season is getting ridic already and we havnt even hit winter yet

Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Looks like a nice wheel from that one pic.
CATTMAN

Old 11-05-2009, 09:05 PM
here are 2 more pics

take a look

Attached Images   
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 PM
extrememoto is infamous around these parts
very nice, sporty. how long did it take to get the wheel back?

Old 11-05-2009, 11:30 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
That is very nice - great write up too. If they can do an MF/PDK/Heated round-bag wheel - I might have to do this. I agree, even with the "thick" PDK wheel, my BMW wheels were thicker and felt better. But my car is too new - I'm still at the "give it the benefit of the doubt" stage, waiting to see if I see the Porsche reasoning behind it - they are clever sports car builders and maybe they know better.

But man, I'm tempted - that wheel looks super nice and comfy.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:09 AM
RH512 is infamous around these parts
Looks like a great upgrade at a reasonable cost. How's the feel of the new leather?

The how-to looks really helpful. Would only like some more detail on swapping the multifunction controls to the new wheel, since PDF is low resolution, can you add some enlarged details? Or higher resolution PDF?

Thanks for sharing, really good info and writeup.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Nice write up and great recovering - much better than just a material rewrap. So, looks like they sell the factory wheels with a core exchange. I wonder if they sell without the core exchange. I'll need to call them. Not very clear from the website. Hate to lose my perfect, stock wheel. Interesting looking company. Thank much for the tip - rep points to you!

Old 11-06-2009, 12:36 PM
997 Steering wheel

I took a bunch of photos while doing this, but really don't have detail on the multifunction parts....they are realy easy to remove....one "star" screw and then gentle wiggling to not break the plastic. I think they need the core exchange back for other customers. These triangle airbag steering wheels are cheap to replace on Ebay. Lot's of people sell them. I've seen them go for $100 used. Plus I think the Cayman/Boxter use the same wheel. Just swap it and get the new thick one...you'll be happy.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:37 PM
anthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really niceanthony is just really nice
Seeing as the comparable plain leather (no alc or carbon) TechArt wheel is $2150 + $700 core from CEC, this is really a great deal if you want a thicker wheel. Thanks for posting because I had never heard of this company. Will have to see if they can do one for my Lotus.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:39 PM
Timing

Originally Posted by extrememoto
very nice, sporty. how long did it take to get the wheel back?
It takes about 4 weeks. You order, and pay, they send the wheel, then you send your wheel back. No down time on the the car.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:12 PM
Basic Sponsor
DCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond reputeDCTMOTORSPORTS has a reputation beyond repute
Yes we can!

Originally Posted by stevepow
That is very nice - great write up too. If they can do an MF/PDK/Heated round-bag wheel - I might have to do this. I agree, even with the "thick" PDK wheel, my BMW wheels were thicker and felt better. But my car is too new - I'm still at the "give it the benefit of the doubt" stage, waiting to see if I see the Porsche reasoning behind it - they are clever sports car builders and maybe they know better.

But man, I'm tempted - that wheel looks super nice and comfy.
We can make our job on almost any wheel! We do it, not just say it!
Again, from DCT MOTOR SPORTS, Your Design, Our Work!!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:16 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
Nice write up and great recovering - much better than just a material rewrap. So, looks like they sell the factory wheels with a core exchange. I wonder if they sell without the core exchange. I'll need to call them. Not very clear from the website. Hate to lose my perfect, stock wheel. Interesting looking company. Thank much for the tip - rep points to you!
it does..... ryem3.... +1 for you.. hows the car by the way... looking to change out the wheel, the one in the picture up above looks really cool, without that much aftermarket touch

Old 11-06-2009, 04:41 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Hey bud, what's up with the LI event? Pass on the info! Definitely looking to change out the wheel...

Old 11-06-2009, 09:02 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ryem3
Hey bud, what's up with the LI event? Pass on the info! Definitely looking to change out the wheel...
follow this link.. it is going to be at 12pm in the afternoon, so me and one of my buddys can met up around 10:00a.m and drive out together. any question you have my number....
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nyard-run.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: New Steering Wheel 997