997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

DME Overrev Readings

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:08 PM
kurteck is infamous around these parts
DME Overrev Readings

Hi All,

Looking to buy an '06 C2S with about 30k miles. The car has seen about 20-25 DEs and the DME readings are as follows:

Range 1 - ?
Range 2 - 4669
Range 3 - 1200
Range 4 - 52
Range 5 - 0
Range 6 - 0

Should I be concerned?

Also, looking for a good mechanic in NJ who can perform a solid PPI.

Thanks for your help!

Old 11-05-2009, 10:15 PM
ntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud ofntlgnt1 has much to be proud of
so many range 4's. It's been driven hard and probably by novices. I'd pass.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:14 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ntlgnt1
so many range 4's. It's been driven hard and probably by novices. I'd pass.
52 ignitions in range 4 equates to approx 17 revolutions of the engine - IN TOTAL - in that rpm range. That's about 0.13 of a second!

How does that sit with being driven hard? By novices?

I wouldn't worry about that DME readout in the slightest....

Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 AM
jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !jjbravo Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1
52 ignitions in range 4 equates to approx 17 revolutions of the engine - IN TOTAL - in that rpm range. That's about 0.13 of a second!

^ Agree. Looks fine.

Old 11-06-2009, 11:13 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Ian_UK1

LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I am not a novice driver, and I am sure that my DME is a lot worse! Perhaps that is what he is saying, a novice won't be bouncing high rev's, they are more cautious. I have had it a few times that down shifting and braking hard I have over revved it higher then I care to say!

All I can say is the harder my car is driver, the happier it is! Not one warranty claim on my 06 to date, either it is built to last or it will explode while sitting in traffic!

Old 11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
The DME is probably not that tragic, but it isn't perfect. Depends on the price and condition. The DME readout is only a factor. BUT what is a factor is an owner that has CONFESSED to 20-25 DEs. I always multiply that by a factor of 2. That car has been USED. I intend to use my car, but I buy a car that's been pampered!! DE's put a lot of wear on the car and it already has pretty high mileage for a used 997. Personally, I'd pass, but not because of the DME.

Last edited by ryem3; 11-06-2009 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Ian_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to beholdIan_UK1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NorthVan
LOL, I was thinking the same thing. I am not a novice driver, and I am sure that my DME is a lot worse! Perhaps that is what he is saying, a novice won't be bouncing high rev's, they are more cautious. I have had it a few times that down shifting and braking hard I have over revved it higher then I care to say!

All I can say is the harder my car is driver, the happier it is! Not one warranty claim on my 06 to date, either it is built to last or it will explode while sitting in traffic!
+1 - The harder you drive 'em the better they run!

Strange what you said about exploding in traffic though - that's exactly what my (now scrapped, previous) gearbox did!

Old 11-06-2009, 06:01 PM
kurteck is infamous around these parts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I am with RyeM3 on this . You want a car that is as close to being new as possible .

Old 11-06-2009, 11:18 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would not use the number of DE's as a factor, according to my service advisor at the local dealer the cars that sit in the garages, are the ones that have the most problems. The ones that are driven, are fine. Want to guess why Porsche puts a minimum number of miles per year as a condition to the warranty, and no the answer isn't because they want you to wear them out. They have tested there cars and found thar they are made to be driven!

Old 11-07-2009, 12:47 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=NorthVan;2610978] according to my service advisor at the local dealer the cars that sit in the garages, are the ones that have the most problems. quote]

Then maybe you ought to ask him about all those 2009 cars which sat on dealership lots for a year before the Porsche "moment" sale without being driven .

The ultimate garage queens were found at dealerships with the massive 09 inventory which took enormous discounts to sell . They were not found in owners garages who drove them infrequently.

Old 11-07-2009, 07:15 AM
[QUOTE=yrralis1;2611005]
Originally Posted by NorthVan
according to my service advisor at the local dealer the cars that sit in the garages, are the ones that have the most problems. quote]

Then maybe you ought to ask him about all those 2009 cars which sat on dealership lots for a year before the Porsche "moment" sale without being driven .

The ultimate garage queens were found at dealerships with the massive 09 inventory which took enormous discounts to sell . They were not found in owners garages who drove them infrequently.
I am sure sitting on there lots aren't the best for the car...good point. The good news is, drive them and they like it! There have been a lot of people that will say a RMS "fixes" itself when it is driven. Last winter I did some mods that required a new RMS, it was switched, and still leaked. The shop that installed it and I agreed to try it and it stopped leaking, and hasn't leaked since...go figure.

Old 11-07-2009, 05:32 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
There is absolutely nothing wrong with that DME scan. The car appears to be driven well. If the car has a clean maintenance history and it passes a PPI, you are going to have one solid car.

The DE events would have made any "niggles" or "flaws" with the car obvious and if it has a clean maintenance history then you are looking at a fairly bullet proof 997.

I would also ask at what frequency the previous owner was changing his oil. If its at least every other DE/track event then he has been keeping up on his end.

Jason