997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

PCM 2.0 Phone. Is it as simple as putting in the SIM card?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:53 PM
jca3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Minok
IF your car did have the phone option installed (or you were able to get the factory option installed after the fact - the MY06/PCM2 guys will have to speak to that).. then to be able to use that phone (as stated, the SIM slot and keypad are standard in all cars, regardless of the internal phone electronics being there/turned on)... you would need to get a CLONE of your SIM card. AT&T in the US will not make you a clone. Welcome to the US business model for cell providers. I've heard that you can remove your SIM card, overnight it to a company somewhere (Singapore, Hong Kong, etc .. US I'm guessing too), and they will overnight back your SIM and a clone of it. Then you put your original SIM back in your phone, and slide the cloned SIM into your car's SIM slot. Your car is then a clone of your own phone. I'm not sure what happens if both try to connect to the cell network at the same time in the US.

But as it sounds, you don't have a phone option installed, and from what I'm hearing, the best solution is to go with the aftermarket add-on modules that will give you bluetooth capabilities in the MY06 cars.
Why do you need a clone? I haven't tried it, but my MY05 does have the phone hardware installed. What would keep me from buying a prepaid SIM card like this and just putting it in? 7 bucks for the card and refill as needed... says that it's GSM compatible so I wonder if it would work?

Old 01-26-2010, 06:05 PM
na011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nicena011 is just really nice
jca3 - I think you are on to something. I have a MY06 with the factory phone option. We had (until 2 days ago) a t-mobile family plan. Wife & daughter had the t-mobile phones & I kept my t-mobile SIM card in the PCM phone slot @ a cost of $9.95/month. The cell phone that I used most of the time was my work Verizon Blackberry. That ended 2 days ago when the t-mobile contract was not renewed since they are now AT&T iPhone users. This was caused by the Christmas generosity of our son but I was left out to fend to myself as far as the "Porsche Phone" was concerned. jca3 you made a light go on in my head & that is, use the "pre-paid" SIM card that we used this summer in Europe. The SIM card is "t-mobile.co.uk" and it still had ~ $25 left on it. Tonight, here in Florida, I put the uk SIM card in my unlocked t-mobile phone and it comes up and connects to AT&T. I take out the uk SIM card and put it in the Porsche & go for a ride. While driving I called a friend over in England and it works like a charm however it will not let me call any number in the USA. Therefore tomorrow I'm going to t-mobile to buy pre-paid phone SIM card.

Old 01-27-2010, 04:37 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
well, I have used sim card off my iphone in my 997.1 PCM, it worked great.

I have telephone option next to the shifter if that makes better sense.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM
FullRetard is infamous around these parts
I ordered my 07 C2S with the phone option. My ATT sim card has worked great since day 1.

Old 01-28-2010, 01:33 AM
20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future20-C4-10 has a brilliant future
sorry I am still rather confused on this issue, so for 997.2 bluetooth'd optioned cars can't use the sim card slot functionality? I'm simply asking because I hate having no functionality with my iphone as a phone when its connected as my ipod.

any thoughts or suggestions from the wise?

Old 02-26-2010, 01:51 PM
Originally Posted by na011
jca3 - I think you are on to something. I have a MY06 with the factory phone option. We had (until 2 days ago) a t-mobile family plan. Wife & daughter had the t-mobile phones & I kept my t-mobile SIM card in the PCM phone slot @ a cost of $9.95/month. The cell phone that I used most of the time was my work Verizon Blackberry. That ended 2 days ago when the t-mobile contract was not renewed since they are now AT&T iPhone users. This was caused by the Christmas generosity of our son but I was left out to fend to myself as far as the "Porsche Phone" was concerned. jca3 you made a light go on in my head & that is, use the "pre-paid" SIM card that we used this summer in Europe. The SIM card is "t-mobile.co.uk" and it still had ~ $25 left on it. Tonight, here in Florida, I put the uk SIM card in my unlocked t-mobile phone and it comes up and connects to AT&T. I take out the uk SIM card and put it in the Porsche & go for a ride. While driving I called a friend over in England and it works like a charm however it will not let me call any number in the USA. Therefore tomorrow I'm going to t-mobile to buy pre-paid phone SIM card.
OK, took me awhile, but I finally got around to trying this. I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card, activated it, and it works like a charm. $6.99 startup costs, then pay as you go with no contract. Brilliant.

Old 02-26-2010, 08:13 PM
TooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant futureTooSixy has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 20-C4-10
sorry I am still rather confused on this issue, so for 997.2 bluetooth'd optioned cars can't use the sim card slot functionality? I'm simply asking because I hate having no functionality with my iphone as a phone when its connected as my ipod.

any thoughts or suggestions from the wise?
When you connect your iPhone to PCM 3.0 and use it as iPod, you still have phone capability/functionality.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:40 PM
nota_troll is infamous around these partsnota_troll is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FullRetard
I ordered my 07 C2S with the phone option. My ATT sim card has worked great since day 1.
ditto. It's a bit of a hassle taking the SIM card in and out but when I know I'll be on the road for a bit it's really nice.

Old 02-27-2010, 06:02 AM
KaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura aboutKaamaCat has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by TooSixy
When you connect your iPhone to PCM 3.0 and use it as iPod, you still have phone capability/functionality.
You can hook up your iPhone and it accepts it? (My iPhone 3G rejects the cable......it looked pretty specific as to work with iPod only). My iPod Nano works fine.......iPhone no. I've just been using the Bluetooth link for phone service and that works perfect.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jca3
OK, took me awhile, but I finally got around to trying this. I bought a T-Mobile prepaid SIM card, activated it, and it works like a charm. $6.99 startup costs, then pay as you go with no contract. Brilliant.

Good to know.

The only problem I've got with such an approach is the car then becomes a different cell number from my personal cell. If on can get a clone from one's own cell SIM so the car becomes a clone of the pocket phone, that would be ideal.. but since verizon is CDMA... I'm hosed on that front.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:46 AM
True. There's always call forwarding.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jca3
True. There's always call forwarding.
That is true, and if I got enough calls while in the car to justify the additional phone service and forwarding my personal cell to the car.... I might consider it. ;-)