997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Aha! Differences between S and non-S mufflers

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-06-2009, 10:01 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Aha! Differences between S and non-S mufflers

Well, we all know that the part #'s on non-S mufflers are different from the part #'s on S mufflers.

And most of us know that the outlet pipes on an S are wider at the ends (where it meets the tips) than those on a non-S.

But, after a couple hours work, I discovered one more IMPORTANT difference as relates to fitment, not performance: the non-S muffler's inlet pipe (where it meets the cat) is about 2 inches shorter than it is on an S muffler. As a result, non-S muffler's inlet pipe won't reach the cat on an S car. The inverse is that S mufflers inlet pipe MAY be too long for the non-S car to join the cat properly.

Of course, these are simple fixes at a shop with the right sleeves, clamps, etc., but not very much fun to discover after spending over an hour jacking the car up and removing one of the mufflers, only to try (unsuccessfully) installing a non-S muffler on an S car.

Learn from my mistakes.
Consider it my gift to you.
CATTMAN

Old 11-06-2009, 10:17 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
I installed stock s mufflers on my non s and they fit perfect, did the install myself.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:18 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Why did you want to put on a non-S muffler on an S?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:44 PM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I had Techart black chrome quad tips installed on my 2009 Carrera..took a little modification-sleeve had to be installed to adapt.........

Attached Images    
Old 11-06-2009, 10:48 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I have AWE cats, and they only sell one version for 997 NA engines, they don't have S or non-S versions, which means that's a constant. Headers are OEM.

I've had OEM S mufflers, Fabspeed mufflers, and AfterHours mufflers, and the non-S do not reach the cats- and if the cats are constant, that means the inlet on non-S are shorter than they are on an S.

As for why: I am testing non-S Gundo hacked mufflers, and to do so I am removing my AfterHours mufflers and OEM S tips.
CATTMAN

Old 11-06-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by robfxlr
I had Techart black chrome quad tips installed on my 2009 Carrera..took a little modification-sleeve had to be installed to adapt.........
Those look like they stick out too far- to my eye.

Perhaps cut an inch or so off the end of the outlet pipe to the mufflers, unless you can just loosen the clamp and slide the tips back toward the bumper.

Old 11-07-2009, 08:30 AM
robfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of lightrobfxlr is a glorious beacon of light
I think it is probably from the upward Ngle looking down thY they Appear to stick out. They look great and I'll post a poc from a lower angle.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:51 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
That is funny, I got raked over the coals by another member a while back because he said that I didn't include any extensions for the mufflers I sold him. I guess now I can sleep a little better knowing that this is an issue with the length of mufflers!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
johnstoy is infamous around these parts
Hmmm. Curious.
When I installed my PSE mufflers - which were not ordered for a non-S (there is only one part number for the PSE kit) - the muffler pipe-to-cat connection distance was the exact same as the stock non-S mufflers. I mean completely identical fit.
Are you sure your non-S Gundo-hacked mufflers were not modified in other ways as well?

Old 11-07-2009, 11:35 AM
jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !jjc4scab Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by NorthVan
That is funny, I got raked over the coals by another member a while back because he said that I didn't include any extensions for the mufflers I sold him. I guess now I can sleep a little better knowing that this is an issue with the length of mufflers!

Ed,
u r full of $hit. U know u kept those extensions for your good friend Stacy. He used them as the oil return lines for his SC BTW love the new avatar.....people couldnt remember your name....ehhh