997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

How much for reman 997 S engine

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2009, 09:19 AM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
How much for reman 997 S engine

Not that I need one but am curious on what the cost is to replace a 997.1 S motor with a factory reman?

Old 11-08-2009, 12:14 PM
machina has a spectacular aura aboutmachina has a spectacular aura about
I asked my dealer and he told me $15k for the motor. Thats with your old motor as a core.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
$15k plus install.

close to $20k all in.

Old 11-08-2009, 01:02 PM
mobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud ofmobonic has much to be proud of
Sctually my buddy just told me he paid $9k for his new engine

Old 11-08-2009, 01:40 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
I think that $10k w/ exchange is more like it.

Old 11-08-2009, 03:01 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard anywhere from 8-10K... I think in actuality the price is right around 8 and some change before taxes without install with the core.....

Jason

Old 11-08-2009, 04:26 PM
thor7000 is infamous around these parts
Engine in my car was replaced under warranty by the previous owner and he gave me all of the paperwork, came out around the 18K mark complete. Where can you get a motor for 8K??? just curious...

Old 11-08-2009, 05:08 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
Try Sunset or Suncoast. A 3.4 is now $11,975 at Sunset and I know that the 3.6 and 3.6 x51 were $2,000-$3000 cheaper last fall. Porsche is very greedy on the 3.4s.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by thor7000
Engine in my car was replaced under warranty by the previous owner and he gave me all of the paperwork, came out around the 18K mark complete. Where can you get a motor for 8K??? just curious...
The Porsche engine replacement program allows buyers to replace their busted engines for new remanufactured engines while only paying the difference of the value of the core (your busted engine). For example, if a new 3.8L is 20K but the core value is 10K then you pay 10K. New 3.8's are around 18K so if the core value is around 10K then you only pay 8K plus tax and labor. I am not sure if the core value actually varys depending on the severity of the damages or not. This is if your engine failed while outside of warranty.

If your engine fails while under warranty, obviously Porsche pays for it. The 18K your buddy saw on his paperwork was probably for a full replacement engine.

However, truth be told there are not a lot of 997 owners that have personal experience with this on this site. Gomez (money shift) is the only one I know that had his 3.8L replaced outside of warranty and out of pocket. I believe he paid around 10K.

Buckewheat (IMS Fail) had his engine replaced under warranty and I am not sure if he has any insight here since I am not sure if the warranty paperwork reflects the price difference after the core was figured in.

Jason

Old 11-08-2009, 06:03 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JEllis
The Porsche engine replacement program allows buyers to replace their busted engines for new remanufactured engines while only paying the difference of the value of the core (your busted engine). For example, if a new 3.8L is 20K but the core value is 10K then you pay 10K. New 3.8's are around 18K so if the core value is around 10K then you only pay 8K plus tax and labor. I am not sure if the core value actually varys depending on the severity of the damages or not. This is if your engine failed while outside of warranty.

If your engine fails while under warranty, obviously Porsche pays for it. The 18K your buddy saw on his paperwork was probably for a full replacement engine.

However, truth be told there are not a lot of 997 owners that have personal experience with this on this site. Gomez (money shift) is the only one I know that had his 3.8L replaced outside of warranty and out of pocket. I believe he paid around 10K.

Buckewheat (IMS Fail) had his engine replaced under warranty and I am not sure if he has any insight here since I am not sure if the warranty paperwork reflects the price difference after the core was figured in.

Jason
there are no values listed under the work performed under warranty for the new engine.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by buckwheat986
there are no values listed under the work performed under warranty for the new engine.

Well, there you have it.

Thanks Buckwheat

Jason

Old 11-08-2009, 06:23 PM
MLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of lightMLindgren is a glorious beacon of light
$10K for a new heart in my baby really doesn't seem all that bad.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Old 11-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Dharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud ofDharn55 has much to be proud of
When I was working on the intermix/cracked head on my car I did the pricing on engines. This was 9/08. A 3.4 was $11,010, plus about $2,500 core charge, which you got back if you gave them your core. At that time the 3.6 was only $8,500 with a core charge a couple of hundred dollars more, and the 3.6 X51 was only $9,400 with a core charge of a couple of hundred more. I did check on the price of a 997 3.6 and 3.8 but don't have the exactl figures anymore. Upgrading from a 3.4 to a 3.6 or 3.8 required some pretty extensive work, electronics, DME, VarioCam vs VarioCamPlus, so I did not purse it, and ended up fixing my cracked head. But all the 3.6' and the 3.8 were actually cheaper than the 3.4, and none of the core charges exceeded $3,000.

Last week the price on the 3.4 had gone up to $11,975 at Sunset. Remember that Sunset and Suncoast do parts at cost +15%. Many dealer are thousand of dollars more for an engine.

Call Jeff Clark at Sunset tomorrow and he will give you the pricing. Also, at Sunset you do have to do an Apples to Apples core swap, ie. a 3.4 core for a 3.4 reman, or a 3.6 for a 3.6. Suncoast said they could take a 3.4 core for a 3.6, and would only charge the difference in core charges which was a couple of hundred dollars.

If you have a 997, you might be able to upgrade to the 3.8 "S" engine for a minimal extra cost, but you would have to reprogram the DME.

Not sure where Jellis got his numbers from particularly the core charges, but call Sunset or Suncoast.

Old 11-08-2009, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by Dharn55
When I was working on the intermix/cracked head on my car I did the pricing on engines. This was 9/08. A 3.4 was $11,010, plus about $2,500 core charge, which you got back if you gave them your core. At that time the 3.6 was only $8,500 with a core charge a couple of hundred dollars more, and the 3.6 X51 was only $9,400 with a core charge of a couple of hundred more. I did check on the price of a 997 3.6 and 3.8 but don't have the exactl figures anymore. Upgrading from a 3.4 to a 3.6 or 3.8 required some pretty extensive work, electronics, DME, VarioCam vs VarioCamPlus, so I did not purse it, and ended up fixing my cracked head. But all the 3.6' and the 3.8 were actually cheaper than the 3.4, and none of the core charges exceeded $3,000.

Last week the price on the 3.4 had gone up to $11,975 at Sunset. Remember that Sunset and Suncoast do parts at cost +15%. Many dealer are thousand of dollars more for an engine.

Call Jeff Clark at Sunset tomorrow and he will give you the pricing. Also, at Sunset you do have to do an Apples to Apples core swap, ie. a 3.4 core for a 3.4 reman, or a 3.6 for a 3.6. Suncoast said they could take a 3.4 core for a 3.6, and would only charge the difference in core charges which was a couple of hundred dollars.

If you have a 997, you might be able to upgrade to the 3.8 "S" engine for a minimal extra cost, but you would have to reprogram the DME.

Not sure where Jellis got his numbers from particularly the core charges, but call Sunset or Suncoast.
My core value numbers are arbitary but would make sense based on what I have seen 3.8L engines going for. Last time I saw one for sale it was about 18K. If my buddy is able to use the Porsche Engine program and only has to pay 10K then one would assume that the core value is somewhere around 8-10K depending on labor. This also falls in line with one poster that showed 18K on his warraty replaced engine which is most likely the full cost of replacement. But this could be completely off either way I was trying to explain how the Porsche replacement program works and how owners are able to do engine replacements out of pocket for around 10K. Its totally possible that the 3.8 is more like 13K with a core of 3-5K...

Jason

Old 11-09-2009, 07:14 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Dharn55
Hmm, isn`t it so that you got to replace flywheel/clutch combo as well if you get 3.8L engine instead of 3.6?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: How much for reman 997 S engine