997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hankook Tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 PM
jon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of lightjon8 is a glorious beacon of light
after more than 2000 miles on them, i really can't recommend the Hankook. At least for the Porsche 911.

Just changed today with Yokohama AD08 and Pirelli Pzero and even for "daily drivin' properties" i better like the new ones. And it's not even broke-in yet...

We are 3 driving the C2s here and nobody likes the Hankook. They are OK for commuting but that's certainly not "high performance tire". Unless you set the bar pretty low.

One positive point left though: They are cheap.

Old 05-20-2010, 10:26 PM
Stockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really niceStockton is just really nice
OK, now I have about 1,500 miles on these. Here are my thoughts...

For price, NOT BEATABLE. Got these installed for $875(!!!) after rebate! As in for all FOUR tires! For road noise and comfort, MUCH better than PS2s. With that said, I'd pay about 50% more for PS2s, but not sure at 110% more.

Why? The PS2s felt absolutely psychic to me. I THOUGHT about turning and they were already going there! The Hankooks turn in pretty good, but there is a short split instant where they feel like they are having to settle in and set up. Probably a softer sidewall which explains the much more supple and quieter ride. Once that settling happens-and it happens quick-I think they really do have better grip than PS2s and feel a fair bit more predictable.

But therein lies the issue... I didn't buy my 997.1S because it was a quiet and comfortable ride-I bought it because it feels like a 355HP go-cart! I WANT twitchy, responsive tires. It is part of the experience.

So the real question remains, are you going to pay 110% more for that little bit more "connected"' feel? For me, I don't quite yet know for sure.

Old 08-13-2010, 08:01 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
Any one have any thoughts on how these might do with Autocross? I have a set of track wheels I am looking to put a set of used tires or brand new Hankooks.. Can't make up my mind. Not looking to break any lap records thats for sure!

Old 08-13-2010, 08:31 AM
tejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud oftejoe has much to be proud of
Hankooks

They'll work just like any other new good road tires; obviously if you want more grip you'll have to go with some softer track tires.

Old 08-13-2010, 09:01 AM
WTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant futureWTFitsCarter has a brilliant future
I'm trying to stay in the stock class which requires street tires. And I can't see smoking a 1700 set of PS2s. So it's 850 for a new set of hankooks or a 600 used set of Ps2s off of eBay. What to do what to do.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:39 PM
mondego is infamous around these parts
I went from PS2s to a full set of Hankooks. For the first few hundred miles the tires felt like they would break grip a little earlier than the PS2s. I now have about 2-3 thousand miles on them. They have a slightly different feel than the PS2s, but after getting to know them, I wouldn't say they are any worse.

They definitely are quieter than the PS2s. I had mine installed and balanced for just over $900, I wouldn't go back to the PS2s. The Car and Driver article gave a very unbiased review I feel -- even down to stating that the tires seemed to screetch before others, but didn't lose grip as expected.

There are several roads I drive hard frequently (certain freeway on ramps). At first, I would take them about 5-10 mph slower with the Hankooks because I could sense them giving way. Now that I have a better feel for the tires, I find myself driving just as fast as I did in the PS2s.

I'd say the bottom line is they are quieter, less expensive, just as effective, but not as confidence inspiring as the PS2s. If you trust the tires however, they will perform just as well.