997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Will a new steering wheel make my car feel new?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:01 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !

Hi Folks,
As some here know I've been in a funk lately, as my car is now 5 years old, and I'm getting that itch. Instead of wanting to swap out, I want to just refresh this one, since it's got so much invested in it, and I want to keep it forever.

So in terms of adding a few bits to make it feel new and exciting again, I've debadged it, added a GT2 rear wing, installed a new 997TT OEM 6 speed shifter, and am about to install the Dension iPod unit. All that has made it feel in many ways like a new car.

Would a new steering wheel further that feeling? The new shifter really did, and since there's always at least one hand on the wheel, I was thinking it might really make a big difference.

Right now I have the standard sport wheel, which is round, thin, with grips at 10 and 2. Don't think it's even leather.

Am considering a custom wheel in leather with grips that will be thicker and padded and leather with some perforated leather sections, similar to the one here by DCTMS. Let me know what you think.
CATTMAN

Attached Images   

Last edited by Cattman; 11-09-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:04 PM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
NOOOO..BUT a supercharger WOULD....ROFL!

Stacy

Old 11-09-2009, 07:23 PM
w00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to beholdw00zie is a splendid one to behold
I'm installing a multi func wheel next week. You're more than welcome to try out my thick leather sport wheel, see if that solves the blues!

w

Attached Images  

Last edited by w00zie; 11-09-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Koby is infamous around these parts
seeing that the steering wheel and the shifter are the direct points of contact/interaction you have with the car, i'm certain that it will increase the "new car" sensation you're looking for... but that said, clearly all your other recent mods haven't fully addressed the "itch"... this leads me to believe there is really only 1 way to cure this ... (sorry for being the devil!)

Old 11-09-2009, 07:43 PM
v35
v35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond reputev35 has a reputation beyond repute
I changed my standard wheel to a alcantara GT3 rs wheel and it really changed the driving experience. Looking down at a different wheel with a different feel changes the overall experience of the car.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:01 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !

It will make the wallet feel used.

I love my Techart but I will keep my stock wheel in my 997S .

Attached Images  
Old 11-09-2009, 09:21 PM
keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !keninirvine Is a GOD !
I think a leather wheel will help enrichen the experience. I purchased a XPA wheel for my car soon after I got it, and I love it so much more than the standard sport wheel that feels like plastic to me. The leather covered and padded wheels feel very rich, and as you say, your hands are on the wheel a lot, so it is important that the feel is right for you. That wheel you're considering looks great too.

After that, the only remaining improvement will be the supercharger, right?

Old 11-09-2009, 09:36 PM
Banned
twiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura abouttwiskus has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Cattman
Hi Folks,
As some here know I've been in a funk lately, as my car is now 5 years old, and I'm getting that itch. Instead of wanting to swap out, I want to just refresh this one, since it's got so much invested in it, and I want to keep it forever.

So in terms of adding a few bits to make it feel new and exciting again, I've debadged it, added a GT2 rear wing, installed a new 997TT OEM 6 speed shifter, and am about to install the Dension iPod unit. All that has made it feel in many ways like a new car.

Would a new steering wheel further that feeling? The new shifter really did, and since there's always at least one hand on the wheel, I was thinking it might really make a big difference.

Right now I have the standard sport wheel, which is round, thin, with grips at 10 and 2. Don't think it's even leather.

Am considering a custom wheel in leather with grips that will be thicker and padded and leather with some perforated leather sections, similar to the one here by DCTMS. Let me know what you think.
CATTMAN
Well, if you can't scratch the itch, I would be interested in your car!

Trev

Old 11-09-2009, 10:13 PM
lakercarrera is infamous around these parts
plus one on the alc stuff it is amazing

Old 11-09-2009, 11:06 PM
kungfufishing is infamous around these parts
I do wonder if it will mostly just make the new car that the dude selling steering wheels plans to buy with your money feel that much newer...

Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 PM
og risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud ofog risker has much to be proud of
+1 on the XPA, nice option...

The parts that are "touched" most by the driver are: Seat, shifter, pedals, & steering wheel. It makes sense to have the best you can get with these items...

Old 11-10-2009, 01:23 AM
Banned
Luca Brazzi is infamous around these parts
Hi Folks,

CATTMAN
I wouldn't enslave myself in a car cause I modded it. Get rid of the dam thing! Nothing like a new carn, especially a new 911.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:39 AM
marc2828 is infamous around these parts
new steering wheel

Those photos are from my DCTMS steering wheel. I installed it last Thursday. I REALLY REALLY like it. It makes the car feel like a race car. And my big hands don't hurt on the highway on this wheel. They put in a "rubbery" padding and the perforated leather that exactly matches my black supple leather interior feels terrific. I took the car out several times this weekend for no reason after having it for a year. For $850, you cannot go wrong. I attached my directions how to install. My next mod is going to be pedals. Any one install those Ebay ones that say "Porsche" on them"

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
997 Steering Wheel Install.pdf (143.3 KB, 103 views)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:30 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Hi Folks,
any modding`s primary purpose is to entertain yourself so if you feel like you want a new wheel - why not then? it`s just a matter of time and money, if you will not like it you can always put old one back.

i am trying to put voice of reason into my own head lately as i bought this car with long term intention to turbo/SC it, but I also really want to enjoy it in her original shape for at least some reasonable time as well so i could learn it properly first but there is nothing worse than fighting everyday temptation.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:04 AM
Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !Axxlrod Is a GOD !
I also added the GT3RS wheel (love the stripe) and it really made a difference. I had the standard basic wheel and its crappy, thin and hard, and not even leather; plastic, I assume.

It was def worth it to me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will a new steering wheel make my car feel new?