997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Bought another car as a DD, now I appreciate the 911 so much more!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 08:39 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
Bought another car as a DD, now I appreciate the 911 so much more!

A few of you might remember my dilemma about keeping my modded 06 C2S as my daily driver for when I decided to go to med school. I very very nearly bought a brand new '09S but decided against it as I'd have to throw a lot of money at a new one to make it like mine again.

I ended up getting an amazing deal from auction on an '05 Mini Cooper S in black. It's a convertible, which while not my first choice, looks pretty good in black. Naturally at 54k miles it needed a bit of a freshen up so as is always the way with me, first place I started was the engine It's going in this week for a smaller SC pulley and a Milltek exhaust system along with some carbon fiber bits inside the car. It should be nudging 200hp by the time I'm done and it really does feel quite quick!

The major point of this whole speech though was that now I only drive the 911 on weekends. It just crossed 35k miles this Sunday and not only does it feel good to be keeping the mileage down but I appreciate the feel and sense of occasion so much more now. I've been driving my 911S and a Cayman S as my DD for 2 1/2 years now and I didn't realize how much I took it for granted. Now my C2S feels like a rocket, every time I drive it and it just feels so much more special now that it's not doing 15k a year.

My last thing is now I don't know what to mod on my 911, my choices come down to a GT3 rear wing, Softronic ECU remap or a couple of carbon pieces inside the car to finish off the rest of the body coloured bits I already have.

No real point to this post other than to share, but I'd be intrigued to hear your stories too.

Old 11-10-2009, 08:50 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Congrats on the move, I switch between the C2S and the Touareg, depending on what is going on, and I know exactly what you mean about the car when you get back into it!

Enjoy both cars, they both are fun to drive.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:25 AM
P Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of lightP Diddy is a glorious beacon of light
good move. If I were in your place, I'd skip the mods and use that cash for a couple track days - that should make you appreciate the car even more. enjoy the car.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:27 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I had a Cayenne S as daily driver for 3 1/2 yrs and loved the comfort and all-weather ability, but wanted to step up the performance a bit. Ideally a C4S would have been great but I got a 2008 C2 and love the ability to blow people's doors off every day!! And yes we should be careful not to take it for granted, especially in these 'tough times'.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Targa Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond reputeTarga Tim has a reputation beyond repute
I recommend that you spend more time reading your Anatomy and Histology textbooks.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:12 AM
kungfufishing is infamous around these parts
I assume you aren't taking out loans for school, but if you are please skip the mods, you'll be paying for them for a long time otherwise. Ditto the "go read" above!

I am contemplating a second car as a DD, or even trading in my current 911 for a lightly used one and a beater 4X4 pickup for similar money.

Old 11-10-2009, 10:38 AM
DaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond reputeDaveHutchinson has a reputation beyond repute
No loans for this, this is just a change of career (I'm 26). The mod choice is an Xmas present from my wife and parents

Old 11-10-2009, 10:41 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
thats cool, how much for the mini?

Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
I got it for $14k, needs a little love but it was a one owner car. We have a Lexus 2010 rx350 too but I prefer to drive something a bit sportier every day so my wife always takes the SUV. I'm really impressed with the way the mini drives, it's a lot of fun!

Old 11-10-2009, 10:50 AM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by DaveHutchinson
I got it for $14k, needs a little love but it was a one owner car. We have a Lexus 2010 rx350 too but I prefer to drive something a bit sportier every day so my wife always takes the SUV. I'm really impressed with the way the mini drives, it's a lot of fun!
thanks....

Old 11-10-2009, 10:51 AM
medpilot105 is infamous around these parts
It's not my DD per se, but rather my wife's car which she absolutely loves, but there are times when the '04 Subaru Outback makes more sense. Once I get accustomed to how it drives/feels (which is numb, unresponsive and, oh so, soft) and then jump back into my car....Woo-hooo! It's like my senses are awakened and I'm back from a 'A car is just a way to get me and my stuff around' coma.

Good luck with school and don't work so hard you forget to take the 911 out for a drive!

Old 11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
jlipana has a spectacular aura aboutjlipana has a spectacular aura about
Interesting choice with the mini. I've been contemplating doing the same exact thing for a DD. Need something to keep me stressing from dings and scrapes on a daily basis.