997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Car Cover Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 06:03 PM
tayloo is infamous around these parts
Lightbulb Car Cover Recommendations?

HI All,

I got my first Porsche (997 coupe - no rear spoiler) last week and I absolutely love it. (pics here) I unfortunately will have to keep it outside the garage for a couple of weeks and I was wondering if I should buy a car cover (the answer is probably yes) and If yes what kind.

I did some research and it ranges from $30 (in walmart - very basic) to $250 (in Autobarn.com - custom for Porsche)

What do you guys recommend that I do? Is it worth paying $200+? I live in Bay Area and the weather is pretty mild I would say (no storms or things like that)

Thanks All!!

taylan

Old 11-10-2009, 06:46 PM
talkinghead is infamous around these parts
Believe it or not, the $25 Walmart cover is fine for a temporary solution, and the size 2 fits pretty well.

Old 11-10-2009, 06:54 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
It's always good to have a good outdoors cover. I recommend the new 997 OEM or the OEM siverguard, shown below.

You can get those from Suncoast or Sunset.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:30 PM
rbuisa is infamous around these parts
I would buy a quality cover. I have bought 2 covers from Car Cover World....Evolution Series....I have not been disappointed.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:41 PM
PHDX2 is infamous around these partsPHDX2 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by tayloo
What do you guys recommend...
Tough question, as it depends on the nature of the car's environment and what sort of protective qualities you desire.

I'd suggest that you consult the materials guide at Coverking (Google "Coverking Materials").

Autobody Armor is my personal favorite. It's expensive, but fits like a glove and has the softest inside layer of any outdoor car cover on the market.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by rbuisa
I would buy a quality cover. I have bought 2 covers from Car Cover World....Evolution Series....I have not been disappointed.
Does it fit well? The cover you recommended is $169 and the cover Adias recommended (the silverguard) is ~$200 (w/ shipping). I couldn't figure out the difference between the two.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:24 PM
adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !adias Is a GOD !
Does it fit well? The cover you recommended is $169 and the cover Adias recommended (the silverguard) is ~$200 (w/ shipping). I couldn't figure out the difference between the two.
I had the Silverguard OEM cover for my previous 996 and it is great. It is a synthetic material that breathes well. I am not a fan of soft lined outdoor covers because they get wet inside. I do not think that the Silverguard will damage the paint. Outdoor covers should not be used in hurricane wind conditions anyway.

Old 11-11-2009, 05:46 PM
thebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nicethebland is just really nice
I bought the Porsche cover from my dealer. Soft as silk but at $240, I paid too much. Just didn't feel like researching this extra...

Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by adias
It's always good to have a good outdoors cover. I recommend the new 997 OEM or the OEM siverguard, shown below.

You can get those from Suncoast or Sunset.
I was always under impression that keeping car like this covered under direct sun is very bad for paint as you get a sauna grade temperature under cover, isn`t it?

Old 11-11-2009, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
I was always under impression that keeping car like this covered under direct sun is very bad for paint as you get a sauna grade temperature under cover, isn`t it?
These covers are reflective, especially the new one (my first link). But in any case, this is not to be used permanently. I use it when i am traveling and I have no access to a garage.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:11 PM
I ordered the OEM siverguard.
Thanks!

Old 11-16-2009, 05:22 PM
Weasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really niceWeasel is just really nice
I ordered the OEM siverguard.
Thanks!
Any thoughts from anyone on a good indoor or outdoor cover for convertibles? I've heard the OEM one with soft inner lining sheds on the canvas top.

Old 11-19-2009, 06:35 AM
g911cab is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Weasel
Any thoughts from anyone on a good indoor or outdoor cover for convertibles? I've heard the OEM one with soft inner lining sheds on the canvas top.

Can anyone comment on his question? I had the same question. I'd hate to buy a top knowing the shedding would happen.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
nine11 is infamous around these parts
Have OEM 997 Turbo cover for C4S, and does not shed on the cabrio roof. The fabric is not suitable for outdoors, but merely a dust cover (and stops cats from sleeping on it). Beware, it fits tight and will scratch your rear bumpers fitting it on unless the car is very clean and you are careful to lift over the bumper and not drag it on.

Old 11-19-2009, 02:47 PM
thealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to allthealexman is a name known to all
So glad you asked that question...I was wondering the same thing. Kudos on the car purchase.

-Alex

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car Cover Recommendations?