997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has anyone done a PCCB upgrade?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 03:30 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Sezme
This is not a performance based upgrade and price isn't a deciding factor. I am interested if the kit that Suncoast sells is 100% bolt on and will effectively have the exact same parts as if the car was built on the factory floor - or if there is a minor "hack factor". My goal would be to have the install to be indistinguishable from a car that was built in Germany.
Even if the setup is identical the Vin number would render the original stock components . If price is not an issue and this is something you want I won't try and talk you out of it but I also won't be silenced in my opinion as your first post suggests with a reference about Brembo brakes.

Old 11-15-2009, 03:40 PM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
[quote=JEllis;2619032]
Originally Posted by yrralis1

GMG's warm-up track car runs on stock 997S PCCB's and apparently does fantatic with them. They tend to be looked down upon due to their high cost of replacement should something happen to them or just from hard track abuse. That being said, GMG's car has nothing but track miles on it and still going strong, last I heard/saw.

Is a Brembo GTR brake upgrade going to offer more? Yes, but do these cars need it.... not really.

You really need to get yourself to a DE Larry. You would be shocked at how good the stopping power of the "limited" Big Reds are.

Bottom line, the OP's stock brakes are over capable for an amature driver on most tracks. PCCB's would be a great upgrade and offer significant and noticable weight savings. I have heard anywhere from 50lbs of unsprung mass can be saved by switching to PCCB's. That is equivalent to over 200lbs of sprung mass. Like removing a good size person from your car.

Buuutttt... at $320 per pound the price does not justify the peformance benefit. Even the BBK Brembo kits are lighter and better performing than your current setup and on par or better than the 997S PCCB option.

Like others have said the PCCB 997S option on Suncoastparts.com is simply a bolt on switch. It really is just a matter of purchasing the uber expesnive rotors, pads, and housing....

Jason
I happen to agree with you on the Big reds . They just couild not handle 700 Hp but they are quite sufficient on the 997S street DD. Now if I was getting a stock Gt3 I would get the PCCB because that is what's best designed for that car remaining at or near Hp level.

I like the PCCB --
I also like the Brembo -
I like being able to weigh alll the factors though and make a choice .

What I don't agree with an either/or without evaluating allk the criteria -that includes Hp, it also includes price . and considers the specific use of the car .

Old 11-15-2009, 04:03 PM
Sezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to behold
Even if the setup is identical the Vin number would render the original stock components . If price is not an issue and this is something you want I won't try and talk you out of it but I also won't be silenced in my opinion as your first post suggests with a reference about Brembo brakes.
I wouldn't try to mask the true build data and that's not my goal. In hindsight, I made a mistake when I ordered my car. When I built it - I ordered almost every Exclusive option avail and then some. It's a very highly optioned car that took almost 9 months to build. The one omission I made was not adding the PCCB's and I'd like to add them to make the car complete (to me). But - it's got to be done with the same exact parts that the factory used with zero shortcuts. If the kit doesn't give the full and desired results - I'll pass.

Last edited by Sezme; 11-15-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:16 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
[quote=yrralis1;2619354]
Originally Posted by JEllis

I happen to agree with you on the Big reds . They just couild not handle 700 Hp but they are quite sufficient on the 997S street DD. Now if I was getting a stock Gt3 I would get the PCCB because that is what's best designed for that car remaining at or near Hp level.

I like the PCCB --
I also like the Brembo -
I like being able to weigh alll the factors though and make a choice .

What I don't agree with an either/or without evaluating allk the criteria -that includes Hp, it also includes price . and considers the specific use of the car .
I am curious now why you believe 700HP has anything to do with brakes.

For example, the big reds are designed for a car that can go 186mph in the 997S application. Speeds that a 997S, GT3, or a 997TT are very unlikely to see on any road course short of the "Ring" (a place both cars were heavily tested).

On a track like Streets of Willow its unlikey you would even have the room to put the 700HP to good use and in that case we are going into the corner at similar speeds. Since the 700HP does not actually add any mass to your car then the big reds would be more than enough.

If your saying its sad to see a 700Hp car without improved stopping power then I agree with you. But in reality in most instances the big reds are more than capabe of stopping a vehicle going in excess of speeds my or car is capable of.

Bigger brakes are either equally useless or equally beneficial. For example a 100hp 914 benefits the same from a nice set of brakes as does a 997TT, the ability to brake later and deeper into a corner.

Brakes are like a nice set of tires. Any car of any HP category benefits from a nice set of brakes and a nice set of tires. Any car that is tracked or raced regularly should have both regardless of HP.

See the GMG video shoot out between their WC TT and WC GT3...

If your saying that 700HP is going to get you up to 100mph on the highway faster than I could in my 997S... that is true, no doubt. But if we both were side by side heading into the back of a traffic jam at 100mph the horsepower factor has no bearing. At this point its just the brakes and tires ability to provide enough friction to slow the mass of the vehicle in time. In this instance, like all others, we would be both benefiting equally from a set of BBK Brembo's or Big Reds or whatever kind of brakes that were trying to slow us down. Regardless, at this point HP is not in the equation. And in both cases Porsche designed their brakes to stop cars at near 200mph while on the autobahn or on a straight at the "Ring".

Someone asked if PCCB's provided a measureable peformance increase. The answer to that question is Yes. Both in the fact they perform better due to head dissipation and thus the ability to absorb friction but also because their rotational mass is dramatically less than stock improving again both braking and acceleration.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 11-15-2009 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 04:18 PM
I wouldn't try to mask the true build data and that's not my goal. In hindsight, I made a mistake when I ordered my car. When I built it - I ordered almost every Exclusive option avail and then some. It's a very highly optioned car that took almost 9 months to build. The one omission I made was not adding the PCCB's and I'd like to add them to make the car complete (to me). But - it's got to be done with the same exact parts that the factory used with zero shortcuts. If the kit doesn't give the full and desired results - I'll pass.
You do realize that the cost and worry would almost be worth trading in the car . I realize after reading this that your car is stock and this is the one and only missing part . Someone threw out the number of 15K but it may even cost more . Why not just table your reasons with sales to get the car right and see what they can do ? Do you really dislike the big reds that much ?

Old 11-15-2009, 04:34 PM
Jellis -
The 700 Hp car will get the car up to warp speed so fast and in such a short distance that it needs more than ordinary brakes in a sudden stop . Granted that on an open one mile run with a long stretch of road steel brakes would be enough because there is enough room to slow down .

On the street its a very different story . Even if one observes the speed limit getting to 60 can be under 3 seconds. The car has to be able to stop to meet the demands of that Hp on roads shared by the lowest common denominator of drivers as well as filled with debris , and even are suject to animals crossing .

The Brembos stop on a dime . One can accelerate and decelerate just as quickly with confidence . The steel or PCCB are designed for stock Hp and my guess is that if Porsche were placing 700+ Hp cars on the road they would have upgraded clutch (I have stage 4) , brakes, suspension, aerokit . wheels -- which BTW --most high Hp Turbo owners have done.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:45 PM
JEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond reputeJEllis has a reputation beyond repute
Jellis -
The 700 Hp car will get the car up to warp speed so fast and in such a short distance that it needs more than ordinary brakes in a sudden stop . Granted that on an open one mile run with a long stretch of road steel brakes would be enough because there is enough room to slow down .

On the street its a very different story . Even if one observes the speed limit getting to 60 can be under 3 seconds. The car has to be able to stop to meet the demands of that Hp on roads shared by the lowest common denominator of drivers as well as filled with debris , and even are suject to animals crossing .

The Brembos stop on a dime . One can accelerate and decelerate just as quickly with confidence . The steel or PCCB are designed for stock Hp and my guess is that if Porsche were placing 700+ Hp cars on the road they would have upgraded clutch (I have stage 4) , brakes, suspension, aerokit . wheels -- which BTW --most high Hp Turbo owners have done.
I understand that the BBK's work great to stop a car fast.

But doesnt granny in her Olds need to stop quickly from 60 as you do from 60.

What does 0-60 or 0-100 time for that matter have to do with stopping distance? So you got to 60 one second quicker than me we still need to both stop in a hurry if we need to and the only real factor then is mass.

What you are really saying is that since you drive a 700HP car it is much harder for you to tame the beast and find yourself driving around at much faster speeds than you should so you want to have nice big brakes to keep you out of trouble.

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 11-15-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 05:51 PM
Sezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to beholdSezme is a splendid one to behold
You do realize that the cost and worry would almost be worth trading in the car . I realize after reading this that your car is stock and this is the one and only missing part . Someone threw out the number of 15K but it may even cost more . Why not just table your reasons with sales to get the car right and see what they can do ? Do you really dislike the big reds that much ?
No - I don't think it would be easier.... My car was a very high MSRP S Cab that I'll take a bath on it in this market if I choose to trade it in. My best guess is that I'll lose $40K on the trade in or sale - and it will take another 6 months to get the car I want. $15K is so much easier. FWIW - I have lowered the car, installed a sharkwerks bypass, and installed the EVOMist software which are all quickly reversible.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:37 PM
Originally Posted by JEllis
I understand that the BBK's work great to stop a car fast.

What you are really saying is that since you drive a 700HP car it is much harder for you to tame the beast and find yourself driving around at much faster speeds than you should so you want to have nice big brakes to keep you out of trouble.

Jason
Granny in the Olds is the least of the obstacles on the roads and every ounch of peformance ability benefits all on the road .

So why not beat granny to zero ? Why not beat the critter on the road to a stop? Or that a boat on a hitch won't blow a tire and wag like a dogs tail in front of you ? And why not have every advantage to react?

It's not an issue of keeping 700 Hp tame but rather making sure that it's safety matches increases . One of the advantages of all these cars is that they can react with precision but every time one ups the ante in Hp he needs to create that same balance with the cars other aspects. In fact guys going over 700 Hp face changing the internals .

Old 11-15-2009, 08:48 PM
No - I don't think it would be easier.... My car was a very high MSRP S Cab that I'll take a bath on it in this market if I choose to trade it in. My best guess is that I'll lose $40K on the trade in or sale - and it will take another 6 months to get the car I want. $15K is so much easier. FWIW - I have lowered the car, installed a sharkwerks bypass, and installed the EVOMist software which are all quickly reversible.
You will near 20K out of that guessed 40 loss after parts, install , labor and tax . I don't understand why price comes up in a trade in loss when price isn't a factor ? I am equally baffled by an expensive peformance upgrade on a cabriolet at these price levels . Performance and a missing roof is almost like an athlete that smokes. It just makes no sense .

Maybe I'll just ignore the thread .. and wish you the best.

Last edited by yrralis1; 11-15-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2009, 11:48 PM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
[quote=yrralis1;2619338]
Originally Posted by MLindgren

1) Actually it does matter . Hitting the brakes is not a matter of merely stopping the car but how well it can handle stopping it from warp speed with 200+ extra Hp.
Nope - gotta agree with Jason. This is just physics 101. How the car got to speed is irrelevant when you begin to brake. At that point, only the mass matters. If a 700HP car weighs more, then OK, takes more to stop it. But otherwise, no.

You could take a car that weighs twice as much as yours, and has 1/4 the HP, and that car will need more braking power for an equivalent stop - it's all about the weight(mass) when it comes to stopping a moving mass.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM
[quote=stevepow;2619820]

Nope - gotta agree with Jason. This is just physics 101. How the car got to speed is irrelevant when you begin to brake. At that point, only the mass matters. If a 700HP car weighs more, then OK, takes more to stop it. But otherwise, no.

You could take a car that weighs twice as much as yours, and has 1/4 the HP, and that car will need more braking power for an equivalent stop - it's all about the weight(mass) when it comes to stopping a moving mass.
The Turbo does weigh more and can get there faster . In fact even Porsche has larger brakes on the Turbo so they anticipate a greater need for a larger brake . The Porsche OEM brakes are also made by Brembo . They simply are not as qualified as the BBK .

Given this info --Why not have them?

Old 11-16-2009, 07:00 AM
You will near 20K out of that guessed 40 loss after parts, install , labor and tax . I don't understand why price comes up in a trade in loss when price isn't a factor ? I am equally baffled by an expensive peformance upgrade on a cabriolet at these price levels . Performance and a missing roof is almost like an athlete that smokes. It just makes no sense .

Maybe I'll just ignore the thread .. and wish you the best.
As I said earlier - it is not a performance based upgrade (to me). This is one of the first modern Porsches that I've owned that I really like and I'm not ready to kick it out of bed just yet. Adding a couple bucks to make the car 100% (again, to me) is worth it as long as the Suncoast kit does what I want it to do. After all - that was the goal of this thread to begin with.

Last edited by Sezme; 11-16-2009 at 07:08 AM.
Old 11-16-2009, 07:14 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
I would call Suncoast and talk to one of the guys, they will be able to answer the question.

BTW if you are looking to sell or OEM Reds, let me know I need a set of rear calipers.

Old 11-16-2009, 07:47 AM
[quote=yrralis1;2619827]
Originally Posted by stevepow

The Turbo does weigh more and can get there faster . In fact even Porsche has larger brakes on the Turbo so they anticipate a greater need for a larger brake . The Porsche OEM brakes are also made by Brembo . They simply are not as qualified as the BBK .

Given this info --Why not have them?
Nobody is saying BBK's do not help to slow a car faster. But in terms of cause and effect HP and braking power are unrelated.

Your comment would have been more applicable if you had said, I race on the track and I like to be able to brake deep into corners so I need a BBK. Or, I tend to drive around at 100mph everywhere I go which is generally unsafe but a BBK gives me comfort that I can stop much faster than traffic even though I am going much faster.

Your 700HP comment was kinda like a sky diver saying, "I am a heavier guy so I need a reliable parachute when I jump from an airplane".....

Jason

Last edited by JEllis; 11-16-2009 at 11:27 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Has anyone done a PCCB upgrade?