997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Short Review: Softronic, X51, AWE Cats, BMC Air Filter

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:08 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Thanks for the business Matt

Now lets see those Softronic orders fly in!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:12 AM
solidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud ofsolidst8 has much to be proud of
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of doing the same type of exhaust setup with headers and cats, but stock muffler.

The thing is, I haven't been able to find a sound clip anywhere with this setup. Would you happen to have a video or sound clip of it?

Old 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM
Volant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the roughVolant997 is a jewel in the rough
Matt-

Great review. Appears we went along similar paths for similar reasons. (Softronics, AWE CATS, X-51 Headers) right down to the BMC filter - which I changed out today for a EVOMS CAI and is the reason for chiming in. I am/was totally satisfied with the sound/performance of the set-up you describe, but unable to leave well enough alone I went for a full CAI, hoping to get just a little bit louder when really getting on it with perhaps a slight performance gain (but not really expecting any).

I put the CAI on today and was absolutely disappointed. Believe it or not the car actually got quieter and certainly no butt-dyno level of performance improvement. Not sure why, but even my 12 yo son who went for the test drive noticed the car sounded quite. Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for others along this same path...

... and yes the EVOMS went on sale via ebay today...

Old 12-12-2009, 01:05 PM
Matt in Houston is infamous around these partsMatt in Houston is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by solidst8
Thanks for the review. I'm thinking of doing the same type of exhaust setup with headers and cats, but stock muffler.

The thing is, I haven't been able to find a sound clip anywhere with this setup. Would you happen to have a video or sound clip of it?

No, I dont have a sound clip and honestly probably wont make one lol...

I have been so busy lately thats the last thing I would have time for, and besides, I have heard many clips of exhaust before...I think they all sound like crap when you play them back. Its really hard to capture and replay the true sound of an exhaust. Being there in person is the best way to hear it. If you were in Houston, I would gladly take you for a spin.

I can say that it sounds great...not over-powering, no drone or rasp...sounds just right to me!

Good luck with your mods,

-Matt

Old 12-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Matt in Houston is infamous around these partsMatt in Houston is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Volant997
Matt-

Great review. Appears we went along similar paths for similar reasons. (Softronics, AWE CATS, X-51 Headers) right down to the BMC filter - which I changed out today for a EVOMS CAI and is the reason for chiming in. I am/was totally satisfied with the sound/performance of the set-up you describe, but unable to leave well enough alone I went for a full CAI, hoping to get just a little bit louder when really getting on it with perhaps a slight performance gain (but not really expecting any).

I put the CAI on today and was absolutely disappointed. Believe it or not the car actually got quieter and certainly no butt-dyno level of performance improvement. Not sure why, but even my 12 yo son who went for the test drive noticed the car sounded quite. Anyway, thought I'd throw it out there for others along this same path...

... and yes the EVOMS went on sale via ebay today...
That is very interesting...thanks for the report! As for me, I am done with performance mods...I love it just how it is now.

The ONLY thing left I am interested in is the Porsche OEM Carrera S chrome tips....but I am having a hard time justifiying the $635 price tag....thats outrageous!

Old 12-12-2009, 02:26 PM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Yes...I would venture to say the Softronic tune helped transform the car as well as the driving experience. It doesnt matter if youre in sport mode or not, there is a very noticeable difference and in fact even more so in sport mode since the throttle feels much better to me.
Great to hear another positive Softronic experience as several people here tried to convince me that any ECU flash effect is just my imagination.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by utkinpol
Great to hear another positive Softronic experience as several people here tried to convince me that any ECU flash effect is just my imagination.
Doesnt really matter if they believe us or not. The difference between a tuned ECU and stock are more than obvious. To deny the difference makes me think they have no actual first hand experience to compare the two tunes in the first place.

Not to mention the extra 300 rpm at redline makes a difference to me. You can really ring her out now...its very fun. Plus when you shift at the new redline, the next gear is already at a higher RPM than stock and now in a better power range along the power curve.

I will admit, perhaps some people didnt get the 93 octane tune like I reviewed...Or maybe they dont have any other mods mixed in with the tune? Maybe then the difference wouldnt be as noticeable? I really have no idea.

I'm happy with my results, and thats all that matters.

Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 PM
Dave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant futureDave07997S has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Matt in Houston
Doesnt really matter if they believe us or not. The difference between a tuned ECU and stock are more than obvious. To deny the difference makes me think they have no actual first hand experience to compare the two tunes in the first place.

Not to mention the extra 300 rpm at redline makes a difference to me. You can really ring her out now...its very fun. Plus when you shift at the new redline, the next gear is already at a higher RPM than stock and now in a better power range along the power curve.

I will admit, perhaps some people didnt get the 93 octane tune like I reviewed...Or maybe they dont have any other mods mixed in with the tune? Maybe then the difference wouldnt be as noticeable? I really have no idea.

I'm happy with my results, and thats all that matters.
I always run 93 octane even here in Kalifornia...this is the tune I would get as well.

Dave

Old 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
If you guys have questions about the flash or interested in ordering it, just call me!

Old 12-17-2009, 07:01 PM
garyafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nice
I installed my softronic flash in my 06 997 C2S today, and would highly recommend it. The car pulls stronger all the way to 7500 rpm. I don't know about HP gains, but my butt dyno says it's stronger and more responsive throughout the rpm range. now normal mode is like sport mode used to be and sport mode is even more crisp and responsive. It really did wake it up. One run through the canyon and I knew I made the right choice. (I considered other flashes). No ECU removal and the ability to flash back to stock is a big plus for me.
Dan at Vivid racing was great to deal with, and a lot of help.
I have AWE mufflers, love the sound, stock cats, for (California smog). May change to AWE cats anyway, I know there's more HP in the cats than anywhere else

Last edited by garyafm142; 12-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:15 PM
808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !808c2s Is a GOD !
Are you running 93 octane program?

Originally Posted by garyafm142
I installed my softronic flash in my 06 997 C2S today, and would highly recommend it. The car pulls stronger all the way to 7500 rpm. I don't know about HP gains, but my butt dyno says it's stronger and more responsive throughout the rpm range. now normal mode is like sport mode used to be and sport mode is even more crisp and responsive. It really did wake it up. One run through the canyon and I knew I made the right choice. (I considered other flashes). No ECU removal and the ability to flash back to stock is a big plus for me.
Dan at Vivid racing was great to deal with, and a lot of help.
I have AWE mufflers, love the sound, stock cats, for (California smog). May change to AWE cats anyway, I know there's more HP in the cats than anywhere else

Old 12-18-2009, 06:11 AM
garyafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nicegaryafm142 is just really nice
I specified 91 octane because of our California spec gas. I didn't want to take any chances.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Former Vendor
Awesome! Who's next!

Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM
varioheli is infamous around these parts
have you replaced the plenum yet, this will make a difference in the HP. (10-20hp)

Old 11-11-2010, 07:15 AM
varioheli is infamous around these parts
Hi Matt

have you installed the red silicon air intake yet ? and if so, have you noticed any difference.