997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Poor experience with HRE

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Koby is infamous around these parts
Poor experience with HRE

as much as i appreciate HRE sponsoring this forum... still have to share this experience w/ other consumers..

thought i'd share with you guys my experience with HRE. understand that they are typically pretty good (and frankly that is what i expected for a premium product) but this past 2 months have completely put me off dealing with them. not saying that your experience will be similar but need to vent a bit here...

now in the 8th week since the initial order and we're not even close to shipping them out of the factory...

i've heard all kinds excuses...

no forgings, so delayed
forgings are in but being used for dealer stock orders, so delayed
SEMA show on now, so delayed
your wheels will be done this week (multiple times)
front wheels done, rear wheels not
rear wheels done, front wheels not

when all said & done... still no wheels... surprise.

Guy @ HRE has tried to help but keep running up against the same delays and excuses...

have never encountered such an experience with other manufacturers EVER, and particularily given the current economic environment, am i nuts not to give my order to another manufacturer that actually WANTS to business? there's certainly no shortage of quality wheel manufacturers with quality new offerings around.

again finding myself looking into champion wheels as an alternative... any other suggestions?

..but then again the P40s are just so good looking... arrgghh what to do!

Last edited by Koby; 11-17-2009 at 05:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:33 AM
JoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud ofJoeShark has much to be proud of
Wow, sorry to hear about that. You story sounds more like what other's have gone through dealing with some of the small wheel manufacturers out of Florida and not a major player like HRE. One of the major reasons I actually went with HRE's is because of their reputation and the horror stories I was hearing from members buying wheels form the smaller bit players out there. I may have been one of the lucky ones when I ordered my wheels back in early summer this year as I placed my order on a Thursday over the phone, the wheels arrived on my doorsteps on a Tuesday, they were mounted the following day and I was rolling in my new wheels on Wednesday. Total was 4 business days from ordering to having them on my car.

Good luck and I hope they take care of you.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:00 AM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
AMT / Forged Alloy

The least talked about, greatest kept secret in forged wheels. Light, strong, great looking wheels.

I couldn't be happier with mine and I personally think they are the best wheel money can buy. The quality is plainly visible, people stop and comment on my wheels all the time.

http://www.amtforgedalloys.com/

" Forged from tough aerospace alloys and weight-optimized exclusively for Porsche, these new designs offer extremely low unsprung weight and exhilarating performance.

Precision, not generic

How do we make a 19 x 8.5 forged wheel that weighs about 16 pounds? Precision engineering! At Forged Alloys, we make our own forgings. We don’t rely on someone else’s generic design. Our aerospace engineers start with a clean computer screen and design wheels that have the perfect load rating for the intended vehicle, with the lowest possible weight. We then test the design using high-technology FEA (Finite Element Analysis) software. This simulates the actual stresses that the wheel will endure at maximum speed, load and cornering force.
We then make prototype wheels and send them to professional test laboratories for evaluation. There, the wheels are brutalized at their maximum rated load for the equivalent of two product lifetimes. Then, and only then, do we allow them to bear the Forged Alloys brand. And unlike our competitors, we make ALL of our test data available to you, whenever you like, by downloading it from our website.
For the 996/997 we make two different forgings, optimizing the load rating independently for the front and rear. The result is a more nimble feel, improved acceleration and outstanding braking performance.
And because these great cars respond easily to performance mods, we rate our entire Tech1™ Porsche series at 950 HP and 400 km/h (not that any of you would exceed the speed limit)."

Attached Images  
Old 11-17-2009, 05:18 AM
RUFLUV is infamous around these parts
Check out the new AMT Tech-1 Superalloy wheels...unbelievably light at @ 15lbs for a 19x8.5 and @ 18lbs for 19x12 !

Old 11-17-2009, 05:20 AM
Koby is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JoeShark
You story sounds more like what other's have gone through dealing with some of the small wheel manufacturers out of Florida and not a major player like HRE. One of the major reasons I actually went with HRE's is because of their reputation and the horror stories I was hearing from members buying wheels form the smaller bit players out there.

i thought so too!

sayboy/rufluv - thanks for the AMT Forged Alloy suggestion, they look great and your picture looks fantastic!

Last edited by Koby; 11-17-2009 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-17-2009, 06:05 AM
ChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud ofChrisC-AZ has much to be proud of
Say boy - any pics to share? Which wheels did you purchase? Thanks

Old 11-17-2009, 07:31 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
I love my champions. got a great deal at sharkwerks. Had them in less then a week! Perfect offsets are already established for the car, takes out the guess work.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:32 AM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Koby,

Not that I am suggesting anything, but my buddy ordered three sets of Fikse wheels for his 996 GT3, and it took three months before they showed up, with the same long list of excuses (plus we are using a new anodizer supplier). In the end he got his wheels, and Fikse has shut there doors a little while after that. Like I said I am not suggesting that HRE is in trouble, but if your side is as accurate as you say it is, they do have some problems.

You might want to call one of their dealers, Wheel Enhancements might have what you are looking for on their floor.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:23 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by NorthVan
Koby,

Not that I am suggesting anything, but my buddy ordered three sets of Fikse wheels for his 996 GT3, and it took three months before they showed up, with the same long list of excuses (plus we are using a new anodizer supplier). In the end he got his wheels, and Fikse has shut there doors a little while after that. Like I said I am not suggesting that HRE is in trouble, but if your side is as accurate as you say it is, they do have some problems.

You might want to call one of their dealers, Wheel Enhancements might have what you are looking for on their floor.
Koby,

We watched the unfortunate end of Fikse and saw the issues they struggled with leading up to it and how this may appear similar to someone on the outside. While it may appear similar I can assure everyone that it is not. We are in a strong financial position and just hired an additional sales rep yesterday and have 2 new lathes hitting our floor in early Dec. This is all to handle growth in business not decline. If you are concerned at all feel free to contact a dealer of ours for their assurance as well.

Now that being said, you clearly have every right to be upset with your order delay. We have experienced a very rare shortfall in forgings for Monoblok. This is unusual for us, especially in Monoblok, and definitely unusual for our supplier who is extremely reliable. I personally apologize for the delay. Unfortunately you are not the only one of late as several customers experienced this in October and are just taking delivery now but we have worked hard to get through this unfortunate problem as quickly as possible and will be back to our normal 2-3 week lead-time before the end of the month.

Also, as for us giving you conflicting answers. I will find out why this occurred by no means were we trying to give you false information. We must have had an internal miscommunication for this to occur because we just don't do this. It just isn't how we operate and we take a lot of pride in being honest and open with our customers. If there is bad news we'll give it to you as best we know it.

Once again, I apologize and we'll get this taken care of properly. There is a reason you're buying an HRE and this type of customer service surely isn't part of the deal.

Sincerely,

Alan Peltier

Old 11-17-2009, 04:22 PM
NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !NorthVan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by HRE_Alan
Koby,

We watched the unfortunate end of Fikse and saw the issues they struggled with leading up to it and how this may appear similar to someone on the outside. While it may appear similar I can assure everyone that it is not. We are in a strong financial position and just hired an additional sales rep yesterday and have 2 new lathes hitting our floor in early Dec. This is all to handle growth in business not decline. If you are concerned at all feel free to contact a dealer of ours for their assurance as well.

Now that being said, you clearly have every right to be upset with your order delay. We have experienced a very rare shortfall in forgings for Monoblok. This is unusual for us, especially in Monoblok, and definitely unusual for our supplier who is extremely reliable. I personally apologize for the delay. Unfortunately you are not the only one of late as several customers experienced this in October and are just taking delivery now but we have worked hard to get through this unfortunate problem as quickly as possible and will be back to our normal 2-3 week lead-time before the end of the month.

Also, as for us giving you conflicting answers. I will find out why this occurred by no means were we trying to give you false information. We must have had an internal miscommunication for this to occur because we just don't do this. It just isn't how we operate and we take a lot of pride in being honest and open with our customers. If there is bad news we'll give it to you as best we know it.

Once again, I apologize and we'll get this taken care of properly. There is a reason you're buying an HRE and this type of customer service surely isn't part of the deal.

Sincerely,

Alan Peltier
Alan,

As I said, I wasn't suggesting that you guys were in trouble. I am glad to hear that you guys are doing well, and wish you guys continued success in the future.

Old 11-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Former Vendor
HRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant futureHRE_Alan has a brilliant future
NorthVan,

No problem and I wasn't upset at all. Just don't want any rumors getting started or Koby to be more concerned than he already is.

Old 11-17-2009, 05:10 PM
drjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the roughdrjoe is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by RUFLUV
Check out the new AMT Tech-1 Superalloy wheels...unbelievably light at @ 15lbs for a 19x8.5 and @ 18lbs for 19x12 !
pretty light

Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM
sayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond reputesayboy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RUFLUV
I saw that announcement in another thread. Those are awesome aren't they?! I might put some of those bad boys on my RS if they start making centerlocks. Light and very strong.

Originally Posted by ChrisC-AZ
Say boy - any pics to share? Which wheels did you purchase? Thanks
AMT "Mesh" Tech1-109's

See page 1 and 2:
http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...wder-coat.html

Very strong, very light, very good looking. They do an incredible matte black finish. Don't know if it is epoxy or what but not a single chip or blemish since installation, and that includes about 6 hours on a track with a lot of loose rock.

Expensive, and worth every penny.

HRE is a fine wheel and they seem to be the "trendy" wheel and get all the publicity, but AMT Forged Alloys are insane quality, and I think the great undiscovered secret when it comes to ultimate performance.

Old 11-17-2009, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by HRE_Alan
NorthVan,

No problem and I wasn't upset at all. Just don't want any rumors getting started or Koby to be more concerned than he already is.
Cool, I totally understand how that would be a PR nightmare.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:25 PM
raclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to beholdraclaims is a splendid one to behold
Hang in there man...when the wheels arrive you'll forget all about this. Have you checked around...perhaps some dealers have the ones you need in stock?

I know the dealer by me has had a black set of P40s sitting for months.

I had a terrific experience with HRE and I love their wheels. I didn't love curbing them the first week I had them but HRE fixed them quickly (for a handsome sum)...considering what I paid for wheels and repairs...there is no way they could ever be in financial trouble...they will be living large on me for ages!

So hang in there...the wheels are terrific.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Poor experience with HRE