997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 06:30 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Simply increasing boost does not necessarily increase power. Beyond the optimal efficiency level, power increases will slow and eventually begin to drop. ALL THINGS being equal, 5 psi of boost from an exhaust driven compressor will result in more net power available to the engine when compared to a belt driven compressor.

The amount of boost an engine can handle is far more limited than the amount of power it can handle.

Since all things ARE NOT equal, we'll have to wait and see what unintended negatives and limits this system will produce compared to the consistency and predictability of the centrifuge SC.
Aren't there supercharged cars running around with 7-8 psi now? If that's the case, then why switch to a 5psi turbo? Won't the end result be nearly the same?

What is a safe hp limit on the M96 motor? There has to be some sort of threshold (regardless of boost) where you're really stretching the longevity of these engines. They don't actually have a reputation for being anywhere near as durable as the GT1 blocks....

Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM
justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !justatoy Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I'm not a mechanic, so please explain to me why you would do this?

Is it the amount of boost or the amount of HP that is the limiting factor on these motors?

If it's horsepower (which is what I suspect), why not just up the boost on your blower? I know it will take a few extra pounds because of the parasitic drag from the blower to equal the same amount of hp from the turbo kit, but won't the end result be the same?

Just asking... Like I said before, if I was starting from scratch the turbo would be a viable option. I don't really understand why you would take a perfectly functioning supercharger kit off your car as I can't imagine there will be significantly more gains with the limiting factors of fuel delivery and the block itself.
The reason why IS NOT even clear to me right now,LOL!
One thing to consider IS that if you can make the same HP with LESS boost,that itself HAS to be easier on the motor...????
I just always wanted to try the TPC charger to compare to my Modified VF charger,but then TPC went and came out with this turbo....I thought what the h$ll!?
So if you need a reason,I am doing for the sheer comparison of the VF charger to TPC turbo!
HAS anybody tried both yet.....I know TPC has taken a Vf charger off of one car and are doing the turbo as we speak....but that is THEM.I will give you guys an unbiased opinion on what my findings are....you can count on that!
Also increasing the boost of the charger can be a bit more work than that of a turbo....for one adjustment the supercharger requires to pull the charger off and swap pulleys.Once you have done it a few times,it really is not that big of a deal(but still a hassle),however,the turbo can have a boost controller.....you can adjust it will sitting in the drivers seat.....about as easy at it can get!
I also read somewhere in the Cayman section that they have adjustable settings for fuel octane...91,93, and 108,I believe...so this will work better for my water/meth set-up!
Again,I do not think anyone truely knows what our 997 motors can handle for power YET!
Long story short...people in the NSX community said for years THAT the stock motor couldn't handle 500+ hp and it has/does!
Also I do my own installs so that part of it is FREE and I sold the charger for a small loss(chaulk it up to an experience) and after-all...it is winter here,my car is on jack-stands the next few months and I am bored and needed something to do!
What better project to tackle......!

Stacy

Last edited by justatoy; 12-15-2009 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Well, I am taking Stacy's modified SC off his hands so I can watch as he installs ths TPC Turbo kit. Oh, that, and there's the small matter of wanting would should be around 425 RWHP for myself

I think it's nuts for him to do this, and for me to help him do it! But what are friends for!

BTW, anyone have garage space in Atlanta I can use to do this?
CATTMAN

Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
you can wait for the magazine shootout article of my car compared to Berks (VF supercharger VS TPC turbo)... i know Berk should win in the straight away but i'm prety sure i'll beat him on the track

i might need to swap out the smaller sized pulley to even out the power more - i'll get stacy to help me with that

Last edited by angldrkns9; 12-15-2009 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:30 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
dont think berk is getting a turbo kit. i think he is getting a turbo. ps. we would win if that article happened

Old 12-15-2009, 12:32 PM
angldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud ofangldrkns9 has much to be proud of
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Casey@TPCRacing
dont think berk is getting a turbo kit. i think he is getting a turbo. ps. we would win if that article happened
there's nothing wrong with 2nd place

Old 12-16-2009, 01:07 AM
myfootsmells is infamous around these parts
wow this may have convinced me to get a 997 instead of a 996 tt. hmm...

michael

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by myfootsmells
wow this may have convinced me to get a 997 instead of a 996 tt. hmm...

michael

Except for the fact that the 6TT will probably cost you 40K less at this point and for the same 10g in a TT you could have 600hp/tq

Old 12-16-2009, 06:19 AM
utkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond reputeutkinpol has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
On the M97 Carrera S engines there are no differences in the bottom ends between the standard S and the X51. The differences between them are different cylinder heads, carbon fiber air box with 2 inlets, headers, throttle body, ECU software, third radiator and aluminum intake manifold. There are no other modifications whatsoever involved so, everything else between them, is the same!

On the base 997 Carreras, their M96 is very slightly changed from the 996 version and there is no X51 available for it. My source for the very slight changes in the M96 for the base Carrera is Paul Frère's Bible on the Porsche 911 series.

My source on the X51 Powerkit for the M97 Carrera S engines is myself, as I had it retrofitted on my car and possess the complete parts list, checked them myself when they arrived at the dealership and visited my baby while it had his surgical procedure.
Did you have any chance to investigate what are differences in 997 oil pan compared to 996 X51 oil pan? I saw suncoast was selling 997 retrofitted X51 oil pan and they claim it improves lubrication a lot as it has different configuration.

Also, do you know if valve shafts in X51 cylinder head are re-enforced compared to stock head or are same? From what I know they did improve lubrication there and it may matter a lot if one wants to put FI on this engine, but as X51 does not exist for 997 M96 engines and exists for 996 I was very curious to find out what was it Porsche did to 997. Do you know any more about it? Or is there a reference source I could study?

Old 12-16-2009, 10:22 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
i was talking about our system in general... not his car.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:47 AM
Former Vendor
it does have a maf, and this is not the 997.1 system, it is the 997.2 system fitted to a 997.1 car (997.2 has the cats integrated into the exhaust manifolds). The 997.1 production system will be fully OBD complient and will pass emissions. It will utilize 1 catalyst and all 4 o2 sensors will be utilized.

Old 12-16-2009, 11:43 AM
Former Vendor
drawn through what? MAF?

Old 12-16-2009, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor
it is an air/water IC... using a rad in the OEM placement in the front of the car... isnt going to get any better than that for cooling.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by RenegadeSRT
Didn't answer my question one bit, and had nothing to do with what I asked, but that's ok. I'll try again later and give a few other people a chance to ask questions.
It is all in the tuning and does not matter whether the flow is drawn or pushed passed the MAF. The intercooler gives a predicatability of intake temperature and the engine is tuned accordingly.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
Does the intercooler have a separate water system than the motor or does the air/water have it's own water pump?Is the pump electric or belt driven?

Also, are these kits twin scroll/non equal length (obvious)?

Would it have been better to position the turbo more in the center to equalize the exhuast pulses and to make a true equal length twin scroll with dual exhaust tips and cats?

I am interested, thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p