997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 05:52 PM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by RenegadeSRT
Actually, after a few PMs, I've found out you are partially right. Berk IS getting a kit. Also, that's a heck of a claim not knowing what Berk's actually doing to his car, don't you think?
(I can't wait for that article )
i recently saw the post of berks... looks interesting, I guess i have to reserve my opinion until i see his car run.

Old 12-16-2009, 05:55 PM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
You're exactly right, it is all in the tuning, but that is assuming that there is a temp sensor in the intake tract somewhere. If there is no temp sensor, the ecu has no way to compensate for the difference in intake temperature after the system heat soaks. Your intake temps are then pushing far beyond ambient, and your tuning then becomes useless. Also, an intercooler is NEVER predictable on intake temperature. That's why there is a temp sensor in the system.

So again, my question is, how are intake temps being compensated for?

It does have a temp sensor...it's in the MAF. All the tuner has to do is tune to the IAT. There is a predicatble efficiency of the aftercooler at various temperatures, and, taking that into consideration, along with the other engine parameters, is all you need. It is nothing more than a caclulation which is the way your stock Porsche is done.

Of course the temperature of the intake after the aftercooler is predictable.

Old 12-17-2009, 07:12 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
We havent decided on whether or not the front rad is included yet. It isnt on our cayman system.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:36 AM
cpturbo is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by cpturbo
Does the intercooler have a separate water system than the motor or does the air/water have it's own water pump?Is the pump electric or belt driven?

Also, are these kits twin scroll/non equal length (obvious)?

Would it have been better to position the turbo more in the center to equalize the exhuast pulses and to make a true equal length twin scroll with dual exhaust tips and cats?

I am interested, thanks
I asked these questions earlier. TPC, can you give a few answers.

Thanks

Old 12-17-2009, 12:31 PM
Former Vendor
With no radiator, how is the IC water cooled?

The question was "is the radiator included in the price". The answer is the radiator was not included in the price of the cayman kit. You asked the question.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:46 PM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Casey - great work guys up there at TPC. Kit looks sick. Is that John's car (aznevoii)? You guys do great work for sure man. I didn't even know there was a thread on this cuz I'm hardly on the 997 section, but I got like 4 PM's saying to get on since I was also getting a twin turbo kit in my 996 4S....hahahahahahaha. I knew my ears were ringing for a reason cuz it looks like my name's been mentioned a couple times. LoL

Looking forward to the final product guys. Keep up the great work brother!

Berk

Old 12-19-2009, 03:26 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
they berk,

this is my car! I am sure it will be a close match since yours is 996 with TWO TURBOS and mine is 997 with one BIG TURBO.. hehe

Old 12-19-2009, 07:51 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Good looking so far, Casey! Wondering if I should have taken you up on the guinea pig offer, or done what I've done: buy Stacy's modified, tried & true SC. I am hoping, perhaps expecting, 425 NETRWHP from the SC kit with my car, mods, and LWFW.

Very interested to see how it all goes, all around. One thing is for sure: we're in elite company to even mess with this stuff.
CATTMAN

Old 12-20-2009, 07:00 AM
boochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond reputeboochook has a reputation beyond repute
Hahahaha

For sure, b/c without any turbo's in either car you would have taken me stock. Hahahahahahaha.

Watch out 6/7TT guys, the 4S's are gunning for you all. At least the "stock" 6/7TT's. Hahahahahahahahaha

Originally Posted by aznevoviii
they berk,

this is my car! I am sure it will be a close match since yours is 996 with TWO TURBOS and mine is 997 with one BIG TURBO.. hehe

Old 12-23-2009, 02:06 PM
Former Vendor

building intercoolers, jigging up another system and milling brake adaptors... another day at TPC...

btw, our production muffler/cat will be here on the 4th of january. woohoo! Happy holidays!

Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 PM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Looks good!

Old 12-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I wish I had:
-the right space
-the right equipment/ tools
-another car

To do everything like this myself. The DIY SC I am about to do is requiring a lot of pre-planning, and even still, I expect I'll make a trip to myriad shops for parts/ tools. Seems like it'd be so easy with everything at my fingertips!
CATTMAN

Old 12-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Former Vendor
looks like the first black car will be on the dyno starting wed for finalizing the tune. the other system is being fitted between now and friday. Next we will be looking for a 3.6L 996 manual customer for fitment and possibly a 3.6L 997 customer. Let me know if you have any leads.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Former Vendor
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/29/q...ayman-s-turbo/

Autoblog article on our Cayman Turbo

Old 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM
c2junkie is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by deputydog95
Aren't there supercharged cars running around with 7-8 psi now? If that's the case, then why switch to a 5psi turbo? Won't the end result be nearly the same?

What is a safe hp limit on the M96 motor? There has to be some sort of threshold (regardless of boost) where you're really stretching the longevity of these engines. They don't actually have a reputation for being anywhere near as durable as the GT1 blocks....
Like it has already been said, it is about the efficiency of the method. A turbocharger utilizes energy that is still in the exhaust gas which was not converted into engine power with the piston. That is inherently more efficient than how a supercharger is driven from the crank, which is driven by the pistons. That gives you 2 points: at the same boost level a turbocharger will give you more power at the crank and the ultimate power level will be higher with a turbocharger while at the limits of the piston/head/crank/block/bearings/etc as long as the extra pressure on the exhaust side is not the weak point on the engine. If you need more information or convincing I would recommend studying any sophmore level college physics text covering thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p