997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 05:55 AM
deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !deputydog95 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by c2junkie
If you need more information or convincing I would recommend studying any sophmore level college physics text covering thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.
I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:00 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by deputydog95
I would rather have a sharp stick in my eye.
What he said.
CATTMAN

Old 01-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Verde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond reputeVerde has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, all true. the only thing I'll add, just to round out the comments is the tradeoff of rpm range and (varying amounts of) lag in producing the prodigious amounts of power from turbos. Not per se a bad thing, but turbos 'alter' the behavior of an NA engine while SC comes closer to simply multiplying the behavior of that engine.
I have a SC'd car, and the effects are completely remarkable but as c2junkie notes, it's fundamentally appealing to get nearly 'free' power from turbos in making use of otherwise wasted energy to gain more power from the motor. Depending on the design and the text you read, SC's can consume upwards of 1/3 of total engine power at operational speeds. In turn you get 'instant on' power at low and mid-range power bands.
All engineering tradeoffs, and drivers/owners have to choose how they'd like their ride to behave.
I for one like the idea of having a tame, economical ride at around-town speeds, and then have high boost at high rpm - the formula fulfilled by a turbo.

Originally Posted by c2junkie
Like it has already been said, it is about the efficiency of the method. A turbocharger utilizes energy that is still in the exhaust gas which was not converted into engine power with the piston. That is inherently more efficient than how a supercharger is driven from the crank, which is driven by the pistons. That gives you 2 points: at the same boost level a turbocharger will give you more power at the crank and the ultimate power level will be higher with a turbocharger while at the limits of the piston/head/crank/block/bearings/etc as long as the extra pressure on the exhaust side is not the weak point on the engine. If you need more information or convincing I would recommend studying any sophmore level college physics text covering thermodynamics and statistical mechanics.

Last edited by Verde; 01-01-2010 at 09:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-02-2010, 09:52 AM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by porscheconvert
How much are they asking for this? Does it void the factory warranty?
lol!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:49 AM
silk is infamous around these partssilk is infamous around these parts
I just read thru this whole thread, can't wait to see the results.
I regret installing the VF sc :-(. Mike, why didn't you come out with the turbo system earlier !!!!!

Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Former Vendor
TPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond reputeTPCRacing has a reputation beyond repute
will be dynoing this week...

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by silk
I regret installing the VF sc :-(. Mike, why didn't you come out with the turbo system earlier !!!!!
Why do you regret installing the VF-E SC? Where you running the standard 3.8 inch pulley?
CATTMAN

Old 01-04-2010, 10:53 AM
1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future1999Porsche911 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by silk
Why? My 99 C2 3.4 VF-SC was delivering the same power TPC is claiming the 3.4 Cayman is producing with their system. Its all in the tuning and how much you want to push it. What my newest tuning will deliver is yet to be determined, but needless to say, it will be more.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:06 PM
Glad I've got you on my side for my upcoming SC install! I am going to run the 3.4" pulley. Can't wait to get back from CES and get started.
CATTMAN

Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
Banned
jstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to alljstrat85 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Cattman
Glad I've got you on my side for my upcoming SC install! I am going to run the 3.4" pulley. Can't wait to get back from CES and get started.
CATTMAN
i got my super charger kit on my car and i love it!!! bad *** car!!! puts a smile on my face all the times i drive it! its a rocket!

Old 01-04-2010, 03:45 PM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
jstrat85 - what car is that? SICK car!! Turbo right? but you said you have a SC on it... huh?

Old 01-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by nugent_crai
jstrat85 - what car is that? SICK car!! Turbo right? but you said you have a SC on it... huh?
nope its a 996 c2 911 with custom turbo vents.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:02 PM
nugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud ofnugent_crai has much to be proud of
SICK! INSANE! Well done man!! who did the vents for you?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:46 PM
aznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really niceaznevoviii is just really nice
Casey, please call me when you are ready to get this thing on the dyno.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !Hot Shot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nugent_crai
SICK! INSANE! Well done man!! who did the vents for you?
One of the nicest 996's I've seen. Great job with the car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 997 TPC Racing Turbo Kit... Coming very soon! :p